• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tales of Xillia's English Trailer, More Character Promos Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Yes all hail Japan.

Yes the Persona games have unprofessional dubs. Atlus USA in no way tries it's best when it comes to dubbing their most important series. Yep, that makes sense.

And yeah the Vesperia dub. Super unprofessional even though they made a huge effort to correct the mistakes of past Tales game dubs. It was also an extremely well casted game with Troy barker as Yuri pretty much being better then his Japanese counterpoint. Yuri is supposed to sound like a relaxed older dude who is somewhat unfocused in life. His English voice was perfect.

What was better about the Japanese? Do you even know? Or is it just because it's from Japan so it must be better?

I would like to know if any of you actually think anytime has a Japanese dub been bad or is it all "Japan is super perfect"? Hell can you even tell?

Have you even played Tales of Graces in Japanese? It's not superior at all. It's about just as average. Asbel sounds just as boring in both.

But it is better. Simply because I dont know what bad dialogue they are saying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

All I want is an option. Its torture to know that some of my favorite seiyuu are voicing these characters, like Kana Hanazawa in Graces, and then I have to hear some voice that is crap compared to them.

Plus, of course no Rie Kugimiya in Tales of Symphonia 2... having her dubbed over was actually the reason I never bought that game, out of protest. She's my favorite seiyuu and I was so excited when I heard she would play Marta.

Kugimiya is a shitty one-note voice actor who can only do "URUSAI URUSAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIII" until your eardrums burst wide-open, so I'm utterly confused why you would want to suffer through a whole game with her.

Also Hanazawa *HAH* breathes *HAH* way *HAH* too *HAH* much *HAH* when *HAH* she *HAH* acts *HAH*, if I'm remembering who she is correctly.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
RagnaVII wrote:
You do realize that voice acting in video games don't mean a damn thing, right?

Thats just your own opinion. To me, I'd watch an anime just for a specific seiyuu, so why wouldn't voices matter in video games as well?

Rahxephon91 wrote:
What was better about the Japanese? Do you even know? Or is it just because it's from Japan so it must be better?

Beyond the fact that Japanese are far more talented at voicing than the bargain bin actors that JRPGs get (they even have entire schools dedicated to voice acting), they just fit the characters better due to it being the original language. A 40 year old woman voicing a teen girl and trying to sound cute is about the most cringeworthy there is, and its common in dubs. But they sound so much better fitting in Japanese.
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Also Hanazawa *HAH* breathes *HAH* way *HAH* too *HAH* much *HAH* when *HAH* she *HAH* acts *HAH*, if I'm remembering who she is correctly.

I think you're thinking of Mamiko Noto. Personally I like her, but hey, whatever.
partially

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I find it interesting how this conversation usually devolves into 'dub haters' must be an all-hail Nippon sort of thing.

Personally I watch/play ANYTHING I can in its original language. Regardless of whether that is French, German, Spanish, Korean, Japanese etc. Simply for two reasons, it is closer to the creators intentions, and it IS usually better.

This is particularly the case with computer games and it simply comes down to a matter of money. The difference in budget that a company is willing to put into a game dub for a foreign language game is usually huge compared to that of its original creation. The cast for the original is picked by the original creator and directed with their intentions for character, and the budget is usually a lot higher.

The same is the case for a game natively done in English, it will be closer to original intentions and have much better budget. I would never play an originally English game in Japanese or any other language simply just because I love Nippon or something.

Can you truly compare an originally English release game and say honestly that there is no difference in quality between it and something that has been dubbed in from somewhere else? I would say check your ears in most cases. There will be exceptions of course depending on budget of each and director, but as a general rule I find it's true.

Then again I find voice work for games as a general rule is not very good, no matter the language. You will never get anything perfect when there is simply so much voice work in most games. If you want to watch/play in English because that is your native language than go for it. I will personally watch/play anything I can in its original language no matter whether it is 'better' or 'worse', simply because that is closer to original intentions. There are the occasional instances when I will switch out, particularly when the Japanese decide to put a really whiny or high-pitched character in... ugh.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Well the director himself thinks otherwise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAdQ2_KW7ko

And personally, that's all that matters.

To be fair, do you really think any director is going to be an ass and say "No, I think they suck" when asked about it in a public space? Probably not.

Anyway.. yeah the trailer felt a bit flat. I thought Graces-f had some pretty nice voice-acting aside from Sophie, but then again Sophie's that 'emotionless moe girl' type like Rei which I think just works better in Japanese.

If you want truly bad, then play Arc Rise Fantasia. Game is fine but the VAing makes you think back to the PSX era.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
RagnaVII wrote:

@Kazemon Who cares what he thinks? Bad voice acting is bad voice acting and since he's Japanese and since he lacks knowledge of English, it doesn't make it easier for him to judge the acting. Just saying.

Hm then I guess all the people complaining here know perfect Japanese then to automatically know it's superior? The same concept goes both ways, you know...

Quote:
To be fair, do you really think any director is going to be an ass and say "No, I think they suck" when asked about it in a public space? Probably not.

Also, to be fair, if he thought the English voices sucked so much, why have them dub it at all? It's his game. He could keep it to himself for all he cares. Why bring it over at all? Why even come from Japan to personally show his support at all? Really, no one thinks about these factors, do they?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Also, to be fair, if he thought the English voices sucked so much, why have them dub it at all? It's his game. He could keep it to himself for all he cares. Why bring it over at all?

Is this a serious question?
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Yes all hail Japan.

Yes the Persona games have unprofessional dubs. Atlus USA in no way tries it's best when it comes to dubbing their most important series. Yep, that makes sense.

And yeah the Vesperia dub. Super unprofessional even though they made a huge effort to correct the mistakes of past Tales game dubs. It was also an extremely well casted game with Troy barker as Yuri pretty much being better then his Japanese counterpoint. Yuri is supposed to sound like a relaxed older dude who is somewhat unfocused in life. His English voice was perfect.

I would like to know if any of you actually think anytime has a Japanese dub been bad or is it all "Japan is super perfect"? Hell can you even tell?

Have you even played Tales of Graces in Japanese? It's not superior at all. It's about just as average. Asbel sounds just as boring in both.

But it is better. Simply because I don't know what bad dialogue they are saying.

For your information, I know Japanese (a decent deal at least to go by without subs if needed), I am not that good at reading I have to reckon thou.

I have played the tales games that have not yet released outside japan, it helps that they are usually totally voiced.

This does not even matter, it seems all dub lovers point this out, I dont need to know a language to FEEL the emotion. I know when a voice dont fit the character, when its emotionless.. Many times the voice acting is merely reading the script and be done wit it.

Now RyanSaotome did understand what I mean specifically by unprofessional.

English dubs are done mostly by amateurish voice actors. So yes, unprofessional. The worst part is that those actors are the ones anime and Japanese games usually get. There are few exceptions of course, like the one I mentioned.

That I said I dont want GTA in Japanese for example. While its undeniable that Japanese seiyuu are way too talented and the epitome of professionalism, when it come to voice acting, I am a supporter of original dub independently of what language it is.

Right now I ma playing Fire Emblem Awakening for the 3ds, and what a difference it makes to have the original Japanese dub.

Its good to see more companies are finally realizing many of us that like Japanese games love the Japanese dub as well to get the whole experience as close as originally intended.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
This is almost self-parody.

You claim that English voice actors are unprofessional with the faulty logic of "they didn't go to school", but then ignore that a great deal of Japanese VA also kind of fell into the job the same way many English voice actors fell into it.

You then claim you don't need to understand the language to be able to get the emotion fine. Thats cool, but then you want to damn most English dubs as "just reading the script" and "not actually putting in the effort". I really wonder what metric we are using here. Because pretty much ever obviously cared for localisation has not had this "i don't care voice acting". I find that hard to believe that any poster here could think that genuinely.

But they have schools for this, so Japanese voice acting must be undeniable better. As if a great deal of your popular Japense voice actors even went to them. And yes it's not like America has these Japanese only acting schools. It's not like American voice actors aren't also known to partake in other acting fields such as the stage either. Nope. Their just unprofessional, but lets ignore the Japanese side of the equation.

And the problem with GTA is that's a game with a distinctly American setting. I wouldn't want to play Yakuza in English at all either. But Metal Gear Solid. I could play that in English or Japanese, but in and in some ways English is better. FFXII, yes I rather play that in English.

The fact that you end with

"undeniable that Japanese seiyuu are way too talented and the epitome of professionalism, when it come to voice acting"

leaves nothing up to the imagine of what incredibly bias you have. So when that poster said "gee I wonder why these arguments always turn into "you're just a weeboo". Well I'm not sure you have to wonder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
This is almost self-parody.

You claim that English voice actors are unprofessional with the faulty logic of "they didn't go to school", but then ignore that a great deal of Japanese VA also kind of fell into the job the same way many English voice actors fell into it.

Maybe the ones who do minor characters... but the majority of significant seiyuu are groomed from an early age to do pop singing, modeling, seiyuu work, etc. Its part of their overall career.. they aren't just trying out for some random role off the street like the majority of American dubbers get their start.

Do you really think your average English dubber is talented enough to sing an Opening or Ending song for a TV show? I doubt it. Thats where the multi talent comes from. Plus many of them put on concerts as well.
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
@ Rahxephon91

Its not bias, voice acting in Japan is serious business. However, like I said, I am a supporter of original dub, so your "ALL HAIL JAPAN" does not apply at least to me. Don't ignore the last part of my statement in your quote Smile

The original dub will 99% of the time be superior, be it Japanese, english, spanish etc.

For Japanese media, for what matters here, anime/Japanese games, the more fitting, perfect one it will almost always be the original: Japanese dub.

Many of us are demanding japanese audio as well, not that they ditch the english one, so whats your problem?

That you love english dubs?, be my guest, I dont care as long as I get the choice of the original japanse dub, since that has always been an issue for japanese games, I will complain.

That we say they are inferior and done by unprofessionals? This is hardly arguable, this is fact, in the general sense, there are always exemptions, you should not be mad because the truth is told, you should be mad that many times jrpgs (an anime) get the low-tier voice actors treatment to save on budget and maximize profits.

So I should be glad when one, two, or three good voice actors make it to a jrpg or anime? Hardly. I want ALL, every single character to have a perfectly fitting voice actor that does a top-notch-near perfect voice work, like it is almost always the case for the original Japanese dub.

And to answer more directly to an earlier question, yes, I've played Tales of Graces F in Japanese, what was better? That the characters (ALL, not just Asbel...you seem to focus only on the male protagonist) and their voices were a perfect fit, the sounded as natural and authenticate as it can get, I could get feel more emotion from the Japanese voice actors.

Last edited by dan9999 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:49 pm; edited 8 times in total
gorilla491

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
To anyone who hasn't played Tales Of before. PLEASE give this series a chance, and please buy it new so that Tales Studio under Namco Bandai can see the demand? Trust me this series is unique and amazing in it's own way.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
I find it interesting how this conversation usually devolves into 'dub haters' must be an all-hail Nippon sort of thing.

>_> Because liking American stuff is okay but liking Japanese stuff is not okay from what have seen. or at least its not okay to say you like it more or to have a preference for it. No one ever calls out the clear pro-America people. <_<
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you really think your average English dubber is talented enough to sing an Opening or Ending song for a TV show? I doubt it. Thats where the multi talent comes from. Plus many of them put on concerts as well.

There's a few who actually can sing well, but they rarely need to since OPs/EDs aren't dubbed normally.

Quote:
>_> Because liking American stuff is okay but liking Japanese stuff is not okay from what have seen. or at least its not okay to say you like it more or to have a preference for it. No one ever calls out the clear pro-America people. <_<

Holy shit eff off already, no one cares about you grossly wrong and painful to read histrionics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5