• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tales of Xillia's English Trailer, More Character Promos Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurohei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
WHHHHY? Why do all English dub anime/games turn into such pointless debating?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:37 am Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:

Because its pretty much standard for JRPGs these days to have dual audio, so fans will understandably be upset when one series refuses to give the fans what they want.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Kurohei wrote:

Because its pretty much standard for JRPGs these days to have dual audio, so fans will understandably be upset when one series refuses to give the fans what they want.

Never heard of the term, "you can't always get what you want" then?

There are alot of fans who want dubbed anime, but most of the time now, it gets subbed, because it isn't financially feasible to dub everything. A lot of fans want a certain anime to get brought over, but it's left in streaming limbo, for the same reasons.

Tales games do poorly here, yet we are still getting a few and there's no way they're going to spend more money on a language that maybe 2-5% of the fandom wants and then lose profits for it.

So...you can't always get what you want.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Kurohei wrote:

If the fans never spoke up about what they wanted, then there would never be any reason for companies to give into what we want. WE are the ones who are giving them money, so we have all the right in the world to voice any complaints we have.

Kazemon15 wrote:
Tales games do poorly here, yet we are still getting a few and there's no way they're going to spend more money on a language that maybe 2-5% of the fandom wants and then lose profits for it.

Neptunia games sell like 20k max, yet they get dual audio. Same with any other NISA game, none of them sell. The "it doesn't sell" argument falls flat, and is just Scambo trying to save some money and not caring what the fans want.

Also, you're crazy if you think only 2-5% of the fandom cares about dual audio for Tales games. Its probably closer to about 15-20% (especially since it seems like Graces spent most of its advertising budget on Crunchyroll among the sites I go to, and thats just aiming at sub fans in the first place). Its ALWAYS a giant debate on any forum when it comes to Tales games, and thats because there is a large segment of people who want to have dual audio in their anime game.. since Tales appeals to anime fans who like original audio.
---

But seriously, it comes down to the fact that you can never get away with not having dual audio on a DVD for any foreign film/tv show without major backlash... so why is it considered okay for video games? It should be standard for any Japanese game to have dual audio, unless there is a legit reason like space concerns, which is obviously not an issue with PS3.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Kurohei wrote:

If the fans never spoke up about what they wanted, then there would never be any reason for companies to give into what we want. WE are the ones who are giving them money, so we have all the right in the world to voice any complaints we have.

Kazemon15 wrote:

Neptunia games sell like 20k max, yet they get dual audio. Same with any other NISA game, none of them sell. The "it doesn't sell" argument falls flat, and is just Scambo trying to save some money and not caring what the fans want.

Also, you're crazy if you think only 2-5% of the fandom cares about dual audio for Tales games. Its ALWAYS a giant debate on any forum when it comes to Tales games, and thats because there is a large segment of people who want to have dual audio in their anime game.. since Tales appeals to anime fans who like original audio.
---

But seriously, it comes down to the fact that you can never get away with not having dual audio on a DVD for any foreign film/tv show without major backlash... so why is it considered okay for video games? It should be standard for any Japanese game to have dual audio, unless there is a legit reason like space concerns, which is obviously not an issue with PS3.

Again, tell me how much dialogue does an NIS game have again? Trust me, I have my share of NIS games as well and most of them comes down to less than 5 hours of voice acting. A tales game has way more than just 5 hours, so of course Japan asks more for the audio. Same reason why we couldn't have the Japanese openings for a Tales game until now, popular songs is popular = more money please.

And yes, I do believe only 5% of a very vocal fandom want dual audio, mainly because they sell around 50-60k regardless if it's English-only. Not to mention, a majority of fans like things in their own language. The sub-elists are only a very small, yet vocal group. I bet those fans who complain about dual audio are the same ones over and over again, so yeah...it isn't very much.

Look at how many times people go "no dub, no buy" for sub-only anime. Most people want them in their own language, so your argument of "Tales is Japanese, fans want Japanese" doesn't hold water.

Fans said they wanted more tales games, they didn't say what language. As long as we get them in English, it's good enough for the majority of the fans. And if you think Namco scams people, then don't buy it. There are plenty of other people who are willing to buy it instead of you.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:04 am Reply with quote
Obviously if money is a concern it makes far more sense to not dub the games at all.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:10 am Reply with quote
RagnaVII wrote:
@RyanSaotome and dan999 Funimation of 1999 and Capcom of the PSX called. They want their ignorant generalizations of English dubs back. Also, I don't know what anime you watch, but since I tend to keep an eye for Bang Zoom/Animaze more than anyone else, I have yet to encounter these "amateurs" so to speak. Your attitude towards the professionalism of English dubbers would be accurate, if this was during the Ranma days, but it's been 20 years since. Get with times. Also, not all Japanese VAs are good. For every 10 US dubbers giving a shitty perfomance, there will also be 10 Japanese doing the same.

I like how your logic is that you should get what you want, but those of us who want the Japanese track are being all entitled and should be happy to get anything at all.

Logic, you don't has it.

Why does your desire for a dub mean jack shit?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:25 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Kazemon15 wrote:

Also, you're crazy if you think only 2-5% of the fandom cares about dual audio for Tales games. Its probably closer to about 15-20%

Neither of you have any idea what the actual number is, so you're both just pulling numbers out of your asses. That said, its likely Bandai Namco doesn't either because they've probably never bothered to ask. Whatever it is, I really doubt it's much different than Disgaea or the typical NISA game.

Kazemon15 wrote:

Again, tell me how much dialogue does an NIS game have again? Trust me, I have my share of NIS games as well and most of them comes down to less than 5 hours of voice acting. A tales game has way more than just 5 hours, so of course Japan asks more for the audio. Same reason why we couldn't have the Japanese openings for a Tales game until now, popular songs is popular = more money please.

This is an argument for not dubbing it in English (or at least not in its entirety), not for removing the Japanese audio track, as dubbing in English costs far more. The only reason any game "needs" a dub is because of Sony mandating it, and even then, it doesn't need a FULL dub. If they want to cut costs, not dubbing the entire thing is the first thing they should do (like all those skits). Not saying I want them to do that, but that would be the most sensible place to start their cost-cutting measures.

What's that? *You* want a dub? Sorry, can't always get what you want.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:38 am Reply with quote
RagnaVII wrote:
I was also saying that not all Japanese VAs are Koichi Yamadera/Tessho Genda level. None of the Japanese cast for Xillia are on their level. There are bad Japanese VAs and good English dubbers, as well as vice versa. That is a fact, unlike dan999's biased opinion.

The average Japanese seiyuu is much, much better than the average American Anime/Game VA.

I've watched lots and lots of anime and played lots and lots of games, in both languages. I'm very well aware of the realities of both, but Japanese voice acting is, on average, significantly better than American dubbed voice acting.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:01 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Different markets. Anime had to earn the right to dual audio after decades of terrible dubs and whitewashing since the 60s, and even then it's still not a guarantee. If video game fans want it too then they have to let the companies know of the demand/stance as well like anime fans had to. 4Kids-style dubs may be taboo in anime (though still happen), but they're much more common in games and no one's really stood up against them yet to let a demand be heard for an alternative.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:39 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

This is an argument for not dubbing it in English (or at least not in its entirety), not for removing the Japanese audio track, as dubbing in English costs far more. The only reason any game "needs" a dub is because of Sony mandating it, and even then, it doesn't need a FULL dub. If they want to cut costs, not dubbing the entire thing is the first thing they should do (like all those skits). Not saying I want them to do that, but that would be the most sensible place to start their cost-cutting measures.

What's that? *You* want a dub? Sorry, can't always get what you want.

Yes, dubbing costs more, but in the end, it brings in the profits, because most of the fans want an English dub and will not buy it if it's not dubbed in all it's entirely. For every 1 person who wants Japanese audio only, there are 9 others who only want the dub. Naturally, they're going to spend more money on the ones who matter more, sorry. Why should they pay even more for that 1 little fan who wants Japanese, especially when it's likely they already played it in Japanese? It's a waste of money.

And...I am getting what I want, so I don't know why that's directed at me. Xillia is getting an English-only language release, which is exactly what I want...so yeah...I can and have got what I wanted.

If later games get dual audio? Great, I won't complain, but the main focus here is and always will be for the English speakers, Japanese-wants come second. So the games will always be dubbed, dual audio will always be an "extra" feature if they allow it in later games.

Besides, there's one thing I don't get: Why do you guys even want to play it in Japanese, knowing full well the battles, battle dialogue and battle quotes will never be subbed? You're missing out on like 20% of the game right there.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:54 am Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:

If later games get dual audio? Great, I won't complain, but the main focus here is and always will be for the English speakers, Japanese-wants come second. So the games will always be dubbed, dual audio will always be an "extra" feature if they allow it in later games.

HOW DARE SOMEONE WANT THE JAPANESE PARTS OF THESE JAPANESE GAMES!

Quote:
Besides, there's one thing I don't get: Why do you guys even want to play it in Japanese, knowing full well the battles, battle dialogue and battle quotes will never be subbed? You're missing out on like 20% of the game right there.

Because they are almost always not particularly hard to figure out?
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:16 am Reply with quote
RagnaVII wrote:
@RyanSaotome and dan999 Funimation of 1999 and Capcom of the PSX called. They want their ignorant generalizations of English dubs back. Also, I don't know what anime you watch, but since I tend to keep an eye for Bang Zoom/Animaze more than anyone else, I have yet to encounter these "amateurs" so to speak. Your attitude towards the professionalism of English dubbers would be accurate, if this was during the Ranma days, but it's been 20 years since. Get with times. Also, not all Japanese VAs are good. For every 10 US dubbers giving a shitty perfomance, there will also be 10 Japanese doing the same.

It could not be more evident that you have no idea what you are talking about, for every 10 bad english voice actors there are 0 bad japanese seiyuu! You can rarely find one seiyuu giving a subpar performance.

There are however OVERRATED ones, that's is for sure.

What everyone argues about seiyuus IS NEVER quality but preference.

I stand by what I said, english dubs are bad, and no, it has not changed, can never quite match the original personality of a character, totally altering a character in the process in some occasions, not mentioning sounding unnatural and many times not quite fitting the character.

English dubs are not and have never been on par with Japanese dubs, same goes for voice actors, its like comparing night and day. That is fact. If you like them its perfectly fine, but dont lie just because you like them, tolerate them or take personal as an insult to US voice actors, regrettably is the truth.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:41 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

It could not be more evident that you have no idea what you are talking about, for every 10 bad english voice actors there are 0 bad japanese seiyuu! You can rarely find one seiyuu giving a subpar performance.

There are however OVERRATED ones, that's is for sure.

What everyone argues about seiyuus IS NEVER quality but preference.

I stand by what I said, english dubs are bad, and no, it has not changed, can never quite match the original personality of a character, totally altering a character in the process in some occasions, not mentioning sounding unnatural and many times not quite fitting the character.

English dubs are not and have never been on par with Japanese dubs, same goes for voice actors, its like comparing night and day. That is fact. If you like them its perfectly fine, but don't lie just because you like them, tolerate them or take personal as an insult to US voice actors, regrettably is the truth.

If you seriously believe any of that, your nuts dude. Seriously. Acting is acting and just because actors happen to be speaking one specific language does NOT automatically make them better at than anyone speaking another language and I've certainly heard people complain about some seiyuus giving laughably bad or awkward performances in some roles and japan certainly doesn't act like seiyuu are gods and can do no wrong.

Are most seiyuu's good at what they do? Certainly, and I agree with the notion that there's usually more consistency on the japan side of things. But with some exceptions most english VA's working in the industry today are pretty good at what they do. For every one horrendiously bad english dub today there are at least a dozen perfectly fine to really good ones out there so the fact that people are acting like we're still stuck in the early 90's for english dubbing is well...ridiculous.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:45 am Reply with quote
The differences in the industries account for the variation.

There is absolutely fantastic English voice acting out there. However it very rarely ends up in these games, for a multitude of reasons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5