• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Martian Successor Nadesico

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I recently finished watching this old series, and I fell in love with it. I had a hard time swallowing EVA's (at least, to me) pretentious attempts to be metaphorical and angsty, and I couldn't find any appeal in the characters (Shinji: wimp, Rei: unemotional, Asuka: unloveable, Misato: skank).

Part of what I like about Nadesico is the fact that it turned the mecha-genre on its head, if only by being a parody/homage. The huge cast of characters is also great; I hated very few characters (mainly the guy that looked like one of the Three Stooges, and the spoiler[Jovian Leader that killed Haruka's fiancee], but even some of those guys ended up redeeming themselves (spoiler[mainly, the Stooge-guy]).

The comedy was nice, without too much fanservice (they even managed to keep their ace-in-the-hole, Ruri, leashed...most of the time), and they didn't overdo the drama....but, what I didn't like the way they rapidly went from comedy to drama, at the drop of a molecule. I almost got whiplash whenever they did...

The fact that too many mysteries are presented RIGHT at the last friggin' moment, promising to be solved 'in the inevitable sequel' (which, according to the director, is impossible) made the ending was a little disappointing, along with that strange feeling that it was rushed...

Still, more fun than I've had with anime since...crap, ever! 0_o
Ta-kun The Black Kitty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I tried watching the series, but I couldn't stomach it much. I felt the comedy was a bit too forced. Same with the ending, and the fact the story was so different from the manga.

The movie, on the other hand, was pretty good.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I liked it as well, and found it hillarious. It was definitely worth watching (and owning) just for the wacky characters and the rampant spoofing of all things mecha.

The movie made next to zero sense at all though without the game tie in that branches them. Confused
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Just an FYI for Ta-kun, the TV series actually came before the manga.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote
What makes me curious is, just why would a second season be 'impossible' for that director-guy? Would it have to do with creative differences, or funding, or not being able to get the old group back together, I wonder...
Sanosuke_Sagara-85

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I love this anime with a passion, thus it holds a special place in my collection, its a really clever one for its time and definitely was an experience. Gekiganger 3, the "anime within an anime", was a neat 70s and 80s super robotesque parody, which often times would mesh with the events in each episode, I thought that was really cool and unique as well.

Levitz9 wrote:
What makes me curious is, just why would a second season be 'impossible' for that director-guy? Would it have to do with creative differences, or funding, or not being able to get the old group back together, I wonder...

I betcha it was differences between staff on the future of the story (as well as the unanswered questions) and the budget too, Martian Successor Nadesico was not cheap to produce from what I'd heard. I appreciate you making a topic on this anime, its a memorable one. Very Happy
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I found MSN to be an excellent series that I enjoyed from start to finish, with a little bit of WTF thrown in for good measure. I liked almost everything about the show. The movie, however, was so bad that I couldn't even finish it.

Ta-kun The Black Kitty wrote:
I tried watching the series, but I couldn't stomach it much. The movie, on the other hand, was pretty good.

You are the first and so far only person I've seen who had that combination of views.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say it's bad but it is incredibly hollow feeling. Like a jigsaw puzzle missing a bunch of the pieces.

You have all these familiar characters but you're seemingly missing an immense load of character development so they're like completely different people. It really threw me off and then on top of that there's next to zero explanation for what's going on. Confused Mad

Where's miss Virsange when you really need her? I could use some explaining. Laughing
Sanosuke_Sagara-85

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I wouldn't say it's bad but it is incredibly hollow feeling. Like a jigsaw puzzle missing a bunch of the pieces.

You have all these familiar characters but you're seemingly missing an immense load of character development so they're like completely different people. It really threw me off and then on top of that there's next to zero explanation for what's going on. Confused :x

Where's miss Virsange when you really need her? I could use some explaining. Laughing

Leaves room for imagination which I kinda liked, but at the same token it would be great if the staff got back together to fill those holes as much for continuity as for the fact that a large part of me didn't want MSN to end. Razz
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
That's the thing thogh we're all missing the cross-media video game tie in which (supposedly) fills in those gaps between the series and the movie. It never got imported here, and it's safe to say it never will if it hasn't by now. Prince of Darkness should make sense but we never got to play the game so it doesn't make as much sense as it could. Sad
Kunisaki Shugo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:50 am Reply with quote
Well, Martian Successor Nadesico might be a really old anime but it one of the greatest I've ever seen. Too bad that the first episode of mine was corrupted, so I have never saw the beginning. the cast of the characters were pretty good like the white haired girl who keeps on saying 'Baka' or 'Idiots' in the American dub. She was the first girl to be a tsundare (I forgot how to spell it) on Japanese anime, isn't that right?
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Kunisaki Shugo wrote:
Tsundare
It seems this word should go in the Lexicon...
motaku96

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I love Nadesico it's one of my favorite anime. Yeah the ending was disappointing since nothing ever got resolved but they let us know the ending was going to suck ahead of time. spoiler[(Akito never watched the last episode of Gekigangar but when he finally did, he said it was the worst episode of the series).] It's too bad they won't make a second season but its still one of my favorite anime. my favorite part was when spoiler[Akito fought Tsukumo for the first time on the moon after they learned they were fighting humans. he didn't lose his resolve to fight like i was expecting him to. And then the Nadesico comes up from the underground hangar.] oh and when spoiler[Tsukumo got shot and the Kakitsubata came to the rescue. the timely arrival of Akatsuki was awesome and the show keeps you wondering who are their real allies.] oh and btw Ruri is my favorite character.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I found the movie to be just as enjoyable as the TV series, which I guess puts me in the minority. The movie made perfect sense to me even without playing the game.

I also had the pleasure of seeing the "prince of darkness" in the theaters back when I was in Tokyo in '98.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Best line of the show:

"...and what once was a love triangle is now a septigon by my count."
-Ruri

In fact, all of Ruri's narations at the start of the episodes were priceless. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2