• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Valvrave the Liberator (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:52 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And I don't think any more should be made, either. As fun a series as this was, and as interesting as it might be to see future stories about the Third Galactic Empire, I think the story has been told and should stand as is.

Oh, c'mon! I think for everyone's best interests, they would LOVE spoiler[to see Shouko along with Saki and Akira fight together in the mechs (and frankly, I'd kill for Sunrise to do a mech series starring a group of female pilots that wasn't frivolous like Xenoglossia or Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo)!]

Maybe that would make up for this series being UTTERLY lousy on the female characters. Seriously, is anyone bothered how they wasted Shoko and Saki in Season 2? Confused

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:32 am; edited 2 times in total
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Between so much overthetop things I think Okouchi did what Tomino could never do in TV: spoiler[Kill the mecha MC after giving him the worst episodes of his life. I swear Haruto probably will win an award for horrible fate between MCs. Even the guys from Ideon achieved happiness in the afterlife. Haruto only achieved happiness thanks to forgetting all of his sad memories which makes the message quite harsh.]

Still it was a really fun show. I didn't expect deep morals or something like that from this series. I expected a big troll ending and the last two minutes left me super confused.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
So many juicy questions left unanswered Sad. I think they only planned 2 seasons for this, so why end it like that? At least tell us who's descendant that little kid is.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
That was one heck of a finale. My eyes were tearing up because someone was chopping onions in my room when Akai Memories wo Anata ni started playing spoiler[during the fight between Haruto/L-Elf and Cain. Haruto losing more of his memories and sacrificing himself makes him out to be a tragic figure. Shame that he never caught a break and suffered throughout the whole course of the show. I feel terrible for watching his suffering but its characters like him that really earn my sympathy.] I can't say the same for spoiler[Q-Vier] though. I couldn't help but cheer spoiler[when A-Drei shot him. The guy was a sociopath who wouldn't stand for reason or listen. I guess I do feel a little bad since he's been brainwashed in the Karlstein training facility.]

I find it amusing that several events in the trailer for Season 2 never made it to the TV airing. Events such as Saki meeting Cain and Carmillia (Valvrave Unit 4) being wrecked. I do agree that the show left behind many questions that have yet to be answered but I don't think them being unanswered is a detriment. I'm just curious as to who the Prince of the Galactic Empire actually is and who are the Golden 7. I've read speculations that the Golden 7 is another name for Haruto and the other pilots because they were classified as "lifeform 7s." Anyway, all this future stuff was most likely bait and I fell for it.

Fun show, it gets a grade between Very Good and Excellent from me.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:22 am Reply with quote
That was great! They did rush things a bit near the end, but it was a great finale nonetheless.

spoiler[The big fight between Cain and Haruto was even better than I thought it was going to be, what with L-Elf getting in on it as well. L-Elf being there in the end made Haruto's death all the more sad, because I pretty much expected him to die all alone out there in space. And even if he had no idea who the hell L-Elf even was, Haruto was glad when he called him his friend.]

And what the hell was up with the spoiler[aliens] at the end? Including that made no sense whatsoever. Why was that even included? To show us that spoiler[Shoko was still alive]? And I still left want to know who the little Prince is and now I also want to know more about the First Knights as well. Damn you writers Wink

I'm giving this the same rating as I gave the first series, I'm giving it an Excellent but it's very very close to being a Masterpiece to me.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:51 am Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:

And what the hell was up with the spoiler[aliens] at the end? Including that made no sense whatsoever. Why was that even included? To show us that spoiler[Shoko was still alive]? And I still left want to know who the little Prince is and now I also want to know more about the First Knights as well. Damn you writers Wink

I'm giving this the same rating as I gave the first series, I'm giving it an Excellent but it's very very close to being a Masterpiece to me.

I'm pretty sure the spoiler[aliens were there to show that humanity (or at least the part of it that was under the rule of the 3rd galactic empire) had finally developed to the point where it was ready to accept beings that were different than them and not have a knee-jerk reaction of seeing them as a threat. I don't think they were the same species as the magius, but I'm not 100% on that.]

I think the little prince is spoiler[Saki and A-Drei's kid]. I think the First Knights are what the the Valvrave pilots we've been following all this time came to be known as. It's fitting with the mythological reference the show's making: after consuming a child's heart, the Valravn becomes a knight.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:32 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Ortensia1980 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the spoiler[aliens were there to show that humanity (or at least the part of it that was under the rule of the 3rd galactic empire) had finally developed to the point where it was ready to accept beings that were different than them and not have a knee-jerk reaction of seeing them as a threat. I don't think they were the same species as the magius, but I'm not 100% on that.]

This was also my take on that scene, although I thought it might have referred to Shoko in particular.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
So many juicy questions left unanswered Sad. I think they only planned 2 seasons for this, so why end it like that? At least tell us who's descendant that little kid is.

I though that kid is A-Drei's descendant. Of course, they didn't said it.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't thought of it that way. I'm definitely taking that scene in that way now.

Galap wrote:
I think the little prince is spoiler[Saki and A-Drei's kid]. I think the First Knights are what the the Valvrave pilots we've been following all this time came to be known as. It's fitting with the mythological reference the show's making: after consuming a child's heart, the Valravn becomes a knight.

That's what I think as well, but I had been hoping that we would have gotten it confirmed before the end of the series.

I went back and checked that last bit again and there was one name that I could make out on one of the busts that I didn't recognize. The bust that was next to Raizo's was of Masanobu, his friend that died in one of the first episodes. So they probably commemorate everyone that died, not just the people that piloted Valvraves. But if that's the case then there aren't enough busts, I could only count about 12 (and I didn't see Aina!).
blackpariah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
I think I watched this season the best possible way: marathoned over two sittings. A bit rushed in the final episodes, but really enjoyable.
One thing I'm wondering, in season 1, who were the guys Future Saki was fighting in her Valvrave? Another country? Dissenters from the Galactic Empire? I thought the show was eventually gonna continue that seed of a story line, but I suppose not.
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:

The weirdest thing is that the kid has L-elf's hair and Haruto's eyes. Maybe I would ignore it if it were another artist, but Hoshino tends to pay a lot of attention when drawing eyes.

I mean look
https://24.media.tumblr.com/43b6cd0245056a40d1dd45c93f6f1a2c/tumblr_my7h8c63ha1sxw7s8o1_500.jpg

It doesn't make much sense though (like the rest of the series)
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, that makes perfect sense to me.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:

The weirdest thing is that the kid has L-elf's hair and Haruto's eyes. Maybe I would ignore it if it were another artist, but Hoshino tends to pay a lot of attention when drawing eyes.

I mean look
https://24.media.tumblr.com/43b6cd0245056a40d1dd45c93f6f1a2c/tumblr_my7h8c63ha1sxw7s8o1_500.jpg

It doesn't make much sense though (like the rest of the series)

Remember the flash forward is 200+ years after anime.
After so many generations, eyes and Hair color doesn't matter that much in Sunrise's anime. Think Gundam Age, Code Geass, the kids always take the hair color from the mothers.

In rl, white genes are mostly recessive, their kids are probably not going to have white hair and blue eyes if you marry anyone that has darker hair and eyes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 32 of 32