• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Plus Movie Blu-ray to Have English Subs in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadwing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I seem to remember the Macross Plus dub as being pretty good. I mean, it had freakin' Bryan Cranston as Isamu. But once again, that was back in 1999, and maybe it was only good by the standards of the day. Standards have changed a lot over the last 15 or so years.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Probably like most non-speakers, the Japanese can't exactly judge what's good and bad English.
hpulley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Probably like most non-speakers, the Japanese can't exactly judge what's good and bad English.

They know it's cool though ... just like most of us can't judge terrible kanji tatoos... but we want one...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:06 am Reply with quote
RagnaVII wrote:
@luffypirate85 Why would any sane Japanese want to by the worst dub that Animaze has ever done? It's like having a curiosity, but that curiosity come and attack your ears with earbleeding voice acting and scripts. And I'm not a general dub hater, but both English dubs of Macross Plus are terribad. Only the beast Richard Epcar did a good job. Myung needs to get gagged. Her voice is terrible.
If that is your true picture you would have been a very young lad when Macross Plus came out. however being a ripe old git of 60 I remember it as one of the better dubs of the day. It's better than Robotech, and I loved Robotech when it came out. My point is sure by todays standards it now sounds poor, but back then that was the norm.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:01 am Reply with quote
Deadwing wrote:
I seem to remember the Macross Plus dub as being pretty good. I mean, it had freakin' Bryan Cranston as Isamu. But once again, that was back in 1999, and maybe it was only good by the standards of the day. Standards have changed a lot over the last 15 or so years.

Bryan Cranston's Isamu was so-so at best. Clearly he was not in his prime yet back then. Richard Epcar's Guld was the only really solid performance. Everyone else sucked. Especially Myung's VA, who couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. It's cringeworthy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2