• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lost a disc from a set -- What does the single disc look like?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJF588

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
This may fit better in the Retail forum, but since I'm looking more for what others have on hand rather than where best to buy such, I'll try here.

ANYWAY, couple years ago got a handful of titles (Yucie! Azumanga! Others!), and while I have plinked away at watching them, I ended up losing the first disc of the Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charat set (yeah, for MENLY MEN). While replacing the whole thing would be costly now (relatively), finding a cheap copy of the first standalone DVD isn't too expensive.

So, my question is thus: Does the standalone Vol.1 release's disc look the same as the Complete Collection's (ISBN 978-1-4139-0417-8)? Further, does it have all the same content?

Too lazy to up a pic of the other three discs, but the try describing them, there's each backgrounded by a color which fadeds to white toward the center, with an arch of a given character's head(s) spanning from one side of the lowly-placed logo to the other. First disc should have Dejiko(?), and the other didscs are pink, green, and blue. Don't remember the color of that first one, but wanna say it was green, despite how redundant that'd be.

So, any help for a neurotic collector?
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
TJF588 wrote:
there's each backgrounded by a color which fadeds to white toward the center, with an arch of a given character's head(s) spanning from one side of the lowly-placed logo to the other. First disc should have Dejiko(?), and the other didscs are pink, green, and blue. Don't remember the color of that first one, but wanna say it was green, despite how redundant that'd be.

I do not have the collection for comparison but the first Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charat single disc does match that description. The background color is blue, but it is a much darker blue than disc 4.
The character on disc 1 is Dejiko. Disc 2 is Puchiko. Disc 3 is Meek. Disc 4 is Rinna.
The DVD copyright date on all four discs is 2004. If ADV made different discs for the collection they will probably have later dates.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TJF588

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
Haha, actually, these read as 2004, even though the case's "package design" is copyright 2009.

Fully, the discs' fine prints read:
Quote:
Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charat © 2002, 2003 BROCCOLI - MAD HOUSE DVD layout, design and navigation © 2004 A.D. Vision, Inc. All other elements are the property of their respective owners. All rights reserved. DDC/100-#

...where "#" is the disc number (2-4, for me). Anything else should be visible from the grainy (really, iDevice 4G?) pic below. If they really are the same, I could make off well to just bundle a used one (perhaps even disc-only, so I'm not compelled to keep the case!) with an Amazon order! (But, then, watch as I immediately find the errant disc.)

Touma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote
TJF588 wrote:
Haha, actually, these read as 2004, even though the case's "package design" is copyright 2009.

Fully, the discs' fine prints read:
Quote:
Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charat © 2002, 2003 BROCCOLI - MAD HOUSE DVD layout, design and navigation © 2004 A.D. Vision, Inc. All other elements are the property of their respective owners. All rights reserved. DDC/100-#

...where "#" is the disc number (2-4, for me). Anything else should be visible from the grainy (really, iDevice 4G?) pic below

Unfortunately, now that I have seen the pictures I can tell that the discs are not the same.
The single discs that I have do not have a disc number above the ADV logo. The only disc number is in the "DDC/00#" (note that there is no "1" after the slash).
Also the region logo at the top of the disc is somewhat different. The pictures are not clear enough for me to tell exactly what the difference is, but they are definitely different. Also, and this is rather strange, on my disc 1 the positions of the region logo and the Dolby logo are reversed, with Dolby at the top. The other three discs have the region logo at the top. Adv must have changed the label layout between volumes 1 and 2.

I suspect that the content of the discs is probably the same, but if you put my disc 1 in your set it would obviously be different.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WTK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote
The disc content (episodes, extras,...) will be the same for Vol.1 single and the DVD complete collection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1