• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tom Cruise to Star in Film of Yukikaze Sci-Fi Novels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Touma wrote:

Trying to avoid spoiling things for people is just simple common courtesy.

Mostly it just stops people from sharing common experiences in a meaningful or interesting way because we all apparently have to tiptoe around those of you who have decided that the worst thing in the world is learning a plot twist from an old movie you had no interest in seeing in the first place.

We're not your babysitter.
I'm afraid I don't follow your logic. How can a tagged spoiler prevent those who already know it from sharing that common experience? If you've seen the movie, you'll know it's okay to click the spoiler and you'll still have it shared. If you haven't seen it, then there's no common experience to share.

It's unfair to assume that simply because someone hasn't had a chance to watch an old movie yet that they have no intention of ever watching it. I still haven't watched Laurence of Arabia even though I have the blu-ray sitting on my shelf. I would be pissed if someone spoiled something from it before I finally got around to watching it.

It's not like that plot twist is as ubiquitous as Rosebud or Vader is your father either.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:

It's not like that plot twist is as ubiquitous as Rosebud or Vader is your father either.

There are roughly 80,000 sitcom episodes that would've spoiled it for you. It is an extremely common cultural reference. Just because you didn't know about it doesn't mean it's some awful sin to "spoil" the most well-known plot twist in a movie that's so over-quoted and run into the ground it's like a paste or a fine mist at this point rather than an actual film.

varmintx wrote:
I still haven't watched Laurence of Arabia even though I have the blu-ray sitting on my shelf. I would be pissed if someone spoiled something from it before I finally got around to watching it.

Here's a tip: if you care that much about spoilers to the point where you'd get genuinely angry about someone revealing story points to you, watch the movie already. Don't wait forever, hem and haw about it, then get pissed off when cultural references that also happen to reveal story points are made. Unless you're more a fan of whining about spoilers than actually watching films, in which case, godspeed, I guess.

Also, film fan #1: It's 'Lawrence of Arabia' not 'Laurence'.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:
Jets and gay subtext. Top Gun and Yukikaze have both in spades.

I do not remember Top Gun very well, but I have recently watched the Yukikaze anime and read the first novel and did not notice any gay subtext in either.

Don't listen to him. He probably refers to Tarantino's interpretation of Top Gun in Sleeping with me (1994) - the infamous party scene - where two things happened: a chick tells off Tarantino seeing something green b/w his teeth and Eric Stoltz got a role in Pulp fiction.

It has nothing to do with Yukikaze; Rei Fukai is even more detached as a character than Lain. spoiler[His merging with the Battle Fairy is by far more prone to shipping than anything else.]
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:46 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This has been a cultural reference in countless films and TV shows for nearly 30 years.

Yeah, Top Gun's been around for that long, but "countless films and TV shows"? ... I wonder what contexts are used for all those references. Relevance would seem to be lacking for most series. ^^;
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:19 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
New people are being born all of the time.
No matter how long a movie has been around and how much it has been talked about there will always be people who have not yet seen it and do not know, or want to know, what happened.
Trying to avoid spoiling things for people is just simple common courtesy.

Rosebud was his sled. Unless the plot twist or development in an old movie never became part of the cultural osmosis, spoiling it just seems silly. Rocky loses the fight against Apollo. Even if you haven't seen it, most of the things mentioned here are just so ubiquitously well known that not knowing seems to be the oddity. Norman's mother was dead all along. Even if you are spoiled, these films stand the test of the time for other reasons beyond plot points. The aliens die because of germs. Yeah, new people are born, but born into such a fast-moving and information-rich world. I guess you'll have to find lesser known titles or avoid pop culture in general. Hell, you get Quintin Tarantino films and the like that spoil other films all the time.
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
varmintx wrote:

There are roughly 80,000 sitcom episodes that would've spoiled it for you. It is an extremely common cultural reference. Just because you didn't know about it doesn't mean it's some awful sin to "spoil" the most well-known plot twist in a movie that's so over-quoted and run into the ground it's like a paste or a fine mist at this point rather than an actual film.

varmintx wrote:
I still haven't watched Laurence of Arabia even though I have the blu-ray sitting on my shelf. I would be pissed if someone spoiled something from it before I finally got around to watching it.

Here's a tip: if you care that much about spoilers to the point where you'd get genuinely angry about someone revealing story points to you, watch the movie already. Don't wait forever, hem and haw about it, then get pissed off when cultural references that also happen to reveal story points are made. Unless you're more a fan of whining about spoilers than actually watching films, in which case, godspeed, I guess.

Also, film fan #1: It's 'Lawrence of Arabia' not 'Laurence'.
I know you're used to dealing with juveniles whose sole intention when arguing with you is to argue with you; I am not doing that. I did already know the spoiler and I know it's been referenced often. However, that doesn't address the main point that spoiler tags don't prevent people from sharing common experiences. The problem is, how do you decide what's considered a part of the current cultural zeitgeist and what is not? If you use the spoiler tags, you don't have to worry about that question.

There are only so many hours in the day that one can devote to watching movies and Lawrence of Arabia is pretty damn long. Also, I'm waiting to watch it with my mother, and schedules being the way they are, it isn't easy to get together for anything let alone a nearly 4 hour long movie.

Oh, and the bigger mistake I made was saying "Vader is your father" as I should have said "I am your father." I made the post right before going to bed, so cut my some slack.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Rosebud was his sled.

I thought Rosebud was his teddy! Wait, that was on The Simpsons...Sorry for spoiling a classic Simpsons episode, everyone!
Quote:
The aliens die because of germs.

The aliens die because of germs?! Man, I gotta see that movie!

Quote:
Even if you are spoiled, these films stand the test of the time for other reasons beyond plot points.

This is very true. There's a reason why these movies are cultural touchstones. If a singular spoiler ruined the experience, it probably wasn't a great movie to begin with (see: M. Night Shymalan films. Or don't, and save yourself the "experience")
Spoofer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Respect to those who have the courtesy to go the extra step of spoiler tagging major plot points of any medium, no matter their age or presumed level of public awareness.

Real sad to see Zac getting his panties in a bunch over the inconvenience of having to perform an extra mouse click per spoiler tag. That heinous burden certainly outweighs the feeling people have when they get spoiled by something they didn't want spoiled.

Leaving aside your absurdly embellished perception of Hollywood's fascination with referencing this rather unnoteworthy moment of 80's film history, your logic is both terrible and callous.

Quote:
Here's a tip: if you care that much about spoilers to the point where you'd get genuinely angry about someone revealing story points to you, watch the movie already. Don't wait forever, hem and haw about it, then get pissed off when cultural references that also happen to reveal story points are made.

Who has the time to watch/read/play everything they wish to experience immediately? Do you? If so, geez man, share your secret. Me? I have backlogs. And backlogs of backlogs. And backlogs of those backlogs. Anime? Of course. Games? Definitely. TV and movies? Yeah, why not. Do I want to be running across spoilers for something I haven't yet experienced (but plan to) just because it's a decade old, or because "most people" have already seen it? No, personally, I don't. Are the reasons justifiable as to why I haven't had the opportunity to experience everything ever? Yeah, I think so. Even if I had no life and did nothing but sloth out on mass media 24-7, I'd still have backlogs. And that's not even getting into the whole issue of new generations who apparently shouldn't have any right to appreciate these mediums first-hand without all major plot points being fair game.

And where does one draw the line? Are all movies fair game here? Are all anime and games as well? Or is there a time limit? Evangelion and Bebop are 15ish years old, is their time limit up? Or public perception about how well-seen or known a plot point is? So for those reasons, it's also cool to just spoil stuff left and right that I assume everyone should have seen by now, right? The previously mentioned series, anything in a top 50 seen list on ANN, maybe even anything that was popular last (or even this) season that everyone should be watching? Is it all cool? Or does everyone each have their own line, and their own degree of what spoilers they care about and by how much.

And so we again come to the point where you're getting your panties in a bunch over some posters being more empathetic about the level-of-care of others, and are kindly doing whatever they can to protect those who appreciate that protection... and you, crying over a couple of extra mouse clicks, or simply getting upset over the notion that someone dares to err on the side of caution and be extra courteous. I mean, how insulting for you. Whatever.

(And yes, given how long this post went on for, feel free to claim that my panties are in a bunch over your panties being in a bunch. Sadly, this shall be my only interaction with panties for the day. Sad)
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
^
I am hereby going to speak the biggest spoiler of the most famous and widely-read fictional story ever told, The New Testament:

spoiler[Jesus dies on the cross but then comes back to life after three days because deus ex machina. And that explains why every year, sometime around April, we raid the nests of the shy species chocolatus rabbitus and devour their young.]

Huge spoiler and all that, but it's okay because I used spoiler tags. Those who still haven't read the book yet have been shielded from the harsh truth, even though they've only had two thousand years to read it. Aren't I so mature and courteous towards them?

But seriously, there has to be a statue of limitations. If you don't know who Luke's father is then tough tits. If you didn't know that Goku transformed into a Super Saiyan then too bad, you should have left your rock once in awhile. Some things are so pervasive, so ingrained into pop culture, that putting spoiler tags on them is ridiculous. They are part of who we are and it makes no sense to cater towards those who haven't bothered to jump aboard the bandwagon.

See Late Arrival Spoiler.
johnmora

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
I can't be the only one who finds this casting amusing given the homoerotic subtext of the anime.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
johnmora wrote:
I can't be the only one who finds this casting amusing given the homoerotic subtext of the anime.
I can't say I didn't think the same thing. It was my favorite part of the OVAs to be honest. They were kind of... slooooow, story-wise, so my friends and I had our own fun with them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I have recently watched the Yukikaze anime and read the first novel and did not notice any gay subtext in either.

Are you sure you were watching the right show? I don't think I ever watched more than the first disc but...

I've never seen Top Gear.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Touma wrote:
I have recently watched the Yukikaze anime and read the first novel and did not notice any gay subtext in either.

Are you sure you were watching the right show? I don't think I ever watched more than the first disc but...

There are not too many shows with "Yukikaze" in the title, so I was probably watching the right one.
It has been a couple of years since I watched it so I might have forgotten something. If there was gay subtext there it definitely did not make an impression on me.
I it is about time for me to watch it again, but I doubt that I will get to it before this thread dies a natural, or unnatural, death.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:27 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I've never seen Top Gear.

Oh, man Very Happy You are mine jewel in the crown!

Here is a vague idea for Lydia Cooley's cast, IMHO, and other helmet ideas, and Tom was meant to ride bicycles!

spoiler[It's a joke, you know.]
spoiler[Yeah, really! Smile]
sightpicture

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
Leaving aside all the talk of spoilers and what not, I need to weigh in on this, as somebody who has seen all 5 OVA episodes and read the first novel:

To answer the people wondering about gay subtext: there is none in the novel. In the anime, I personally didn't see any, but I can understand that you could make a (weak) argument that there is some between Fukai and Booker. However, even the anime strongly supports the notion that Fukai is more strongly attached to Yukikaze. For the curious, the literal translation of "Yukikaze" is "Snow Wind" but it is more accurate to call her (and yes, Yukikaze is identified as female in the novel) "Snowstorm" or "Blizzard".

What I am most concerned about is a plot summary I found here, which says the story is going to be about a solo mission where Fukai and Yukikaze go through the Passageway to learn more about the JAM. To repost what I've written elsewhere:

In the original story (both the book and anime), the JAM invasion happened 33 years before the events of the plot. It's background material. It doesn't matter.

The original plot (moreso the novel, the anime butchered a lot of things) had many important themes and debates that are shockingly contemporary, considering it was written in 1984. These themes include:

1. The use of unmanned aerial vehicles and artificial intelligences in war and whether or not that will render the human element of war obsolete. Yes, that's right folks: Kambayashi was more or less thinking about Predator drones in 1984.
2. A long-term war being fought in a very remote location, so remote that most people in the world have forgotten about it or don't consider it important to them at all. In addition, the war has no real goals or any end in sight. Am I talking about the fictional war in Yukikaze, or am I talking about the current American-led war in Afghanistan? Kambayashi may have been drawing off of the Soviet military's experience in Afghanistan, but it's shockingly appropriate for the War on Terror today.
3. Just how different are humans from AI? The main character of the novel/anime, Rei Fukai, is so emotionally stunted and his social skills so crippled that he seems more machine than man. It almost makes Yukikaze, who thinks literally and communicates using set phrases from a command line display, warmer in comparison.
4. A truly ALIEN adversary. We know almost nothing about the JAM. We don't even know if they are machine or living beings since the only things humanity sees of them are their war materiel and they seem unable to communicate with humans. The JAM are frightening and intimidating because it does seem as if it is completely impossible for us to understand them, and for them to understand us. (Though I'm told the third novel, "UNBROKEN ARROW" elaborates more on the JAM, however it has not been translated and brought to America unfortunately).

Instead of focusing on the above themes, if they stick with the plot summary I quoted above, then knowing Hollywood, they'll probably turn this into an Independence Day ripoff that'll end with Tom Cruise blowing up the JAM Death Star and whooping at the top of his lungs as he flies out of a fireball with Yukikaze making some ridiculous joke.

By the way, if anyone didn't catch it, I consider the novel to be far, far superior to the anime. spoiler[At least the novel didn't have clones made of slimy green goop who have hilariously angsty identity crises when they discover what they are]. I still need to read the second novel, though...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3