• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds The 'Hentai' Prince and the Stony Cat TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
It's sort of useless debating this as even legal streams may not mean much as far as DVD and bluray sales. In the end, that's all that matters. There are a ton of people that will watch a free stream, or one on a site like TAN or Crunchyroll where they already have a membership, but won't buy the series when it comes out.

Legal or illegal streams, or numbers on MAL, aren't the only determinants of what's going to sell. They only give a company an indication of what MIGHT sell.
vega427

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote
Seems a little risky to license a show that just started airing. What if it sucks?.....
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
vega427 wrote:
Seems a little risky to license a show that just started airing. What if it sucks?.....

They have already made back a good bit of the licensing fee by selling the simulcast to Crunchyroll. They will make a bit more money back by having it run on TAN (online and VOD) and the stream will probably pop up on Hulu at some point as well. If they don't think the show will sell well, they just slap it on subonly DVD and be done with it.

Also, whether the show sucks or not has nothing to do with how well it will sell. Plenty of good shows have flopped and plenty of crappy ones have been excellent sellers.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
vega427 wrote:

Henneko was already one of the more anticipated shows of the season, and the first episode has gotten pretty good reception, so I think they'll do fine in licensing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2