• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Update: Ghost Stories clips online

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:24 am Reply with quote
I can see why he would need to change the dialouge in a comedy show like Ghost Stories, Cromartie or Milk-Chan, but the problem with the Orphen dub is that Orphen is not a comedy, and Foster went and messed with it simply because he could. The dialouge changes don't make the show more funny or interesting-if anything, they detract and make the show confusing in spots. And besides, it's one thing to change jokes to make them more palatable to the American audience-it's quite another to rewrite a serious story because you feel like it. A lot of people think they could have written a given movie/book/anime better, but it's pretty easy to recognize flaws in a work AFTER it's complete, and all the hard work of creating the setting and characters has been done for you.

Orphen should have been left alone-and Sayuki's dub is so bad, I cancaled my plans to buy the series after watching the first episode on a dub-only Newtype DVD. Only later did I discover that the original Japanese was better written-but by that point I no longer really cared.
Mach5Motorsport

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:02 am Reply with quote
Ok, so this is ADV's attempt at lemonade out of a lemon.
Saito

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:06 pm Reply with quote
HA! that clip was crazy. I think the poor dubbing added more humor to it. But I still have no interest in buying it.
Mach5Motorsport

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Saito wrote:
HA! that clip was crazy. I think the poor dubbing added more humor to it. But I still have no interest in buying it.

It's a fine line to convey something "wacky" in one language into another.....Urusei Yatsura and Excel Saga come to mind. The Super Milk Chan Show is just weird in ANY language.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Saito wrote:

You call that poor dubbing? I call that great dubbing.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:21 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
cubs2084 wrote:
Quote:
Clips of ADV's controversial Ghost Stories English dub can be seen here.

Uh, why is this controversial?

Because they are changing almost everything with the dub track.

Plus it is directed by Steven Foster, the guy people have a love/hate relationship with.
I thought the controversy was the blatant product plugging of "Charmen"TM toilet tissue. (no pun intended) Laughing
LilyChan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:35 am Reply with quote
Hey this looks pretty funny. The clips made me laugh. It was a bit... stoticy, then again it could be my server. Anime hyper;;

Anyway, the cat's voice reminds me of Salem from Sabrina. O_o;
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:59 am Reply with quote
I have a large anime collection(no, I've never come close to listing it all here. Closing in on 1400 dvds) & I'm sure some I include in my favorites qualify as someone else's C-list (I feel like the only one who loves Zenki-no one ever mentions it). And I still avoid Eva like the plague. I do have a frightening amount of mech titles for a chick who has always said she hates mech titles. Bishies are good. I have too many titles bought only because of bishies--if they look pretty, who cares about plot?Doesn't Kotono Mitsuishi have any loyal fans here who'll buy anything she does? I know I pay extra attention to titles with my fav VA's in them when deciding whether to buy a title or not.

So what's the diff between this & the old ADV dubs (Generator Gawl. Lost Universe) that were like 2 different stories going on between the dub & the sub? What's the diff between this & 4Kids taking a Japanese kid title like One Piece & making it into something American parents feel ok plopping their munchkins in front of the tv Saturday morning unsupervised? 4Kids swears someday we'll see uncut versions (I've given up hope on that, though)

You know you can heckle anything. My 14 yr old loves it. Fighting titles work best for me. I enjoy Tenjo Tenge, but we had way too much fun screaming at the horrid faces & directing the fight(back seat driving? My daughter's fav line was when I decided the skinny dude needed to only come out on moonless nights to keep everyone else from going blind). The old Fist of the North Star is even more fun to do the Mystery Science Theater thing with & DBZ always works, but that's something my daughter & I do because we enjoy it. We aren't messing it up for anyone else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2