• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Fandoms of Evil

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Since you seem to have completely ignored my point, I ask you, once again: how is expecting a certain measure of quality in your fanbase "snobbish"? Do you really think that we should openly embrace anyone who claims to like anime, regardless of who they are?

I think if you don't feel like interacting with them because they like anime you consider to be beneath you, that you should just leave them alone rather than insult them. You act as if their views on anime and Japan somehow rub off on *you*, but I, at least, think that your recent statements on this thread are far more damning than whatever association with "weebs" can taint you with.

All you're doing is deriding those who don't happen to share the same tastes you have. That is pretty much the definition of a snob.

Definition of SNOB
1 British : cobbler
2 : one who blatantly imitates, fawningly admires, or vulgarly seeks association with those regarded as social superiors
3 a : one who tends to rebuff, avoid, or ignore those regarded as inferior
b : one who has an offensive air of superiority in matters of knowledge or taste

That's from the Mirriam-Webster dictionary. Note Definition #3b.
Draneor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Since you seem to have completely ignored my point, I ask you, once again: how is expecting a certain measure of quality in your fanbase "snobbish"? Do you really think that we should openly embrace anyone who claims to like anime, regardless of who they are?

I don't personally find Naruto interesting (saw ~30 episodes), but you know what? I can have a normal conversation with someone who thinks ninjas are cool. Maybe they're a little weird and ignorant, but I'm a little weird and, once upon a time, I was a little ignorant. At the end of the day, we're watching cartoons.

Chagen46 wrote:
The leader of my school's anime club is exactly like that. Like, she uses random Japanese words and insists that we start the club by reciting a Japanese phrase literally ripped directly from Naruto.

Yes. Let's drive females out of fandom for not meeting your personal anime fan standards. I'm sure you don't at all come across as creepy to them either.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes. Let's drive females out of fandom for not meeting your personal anime fan standards. I'm sure you don't at all come across as creepy to them either.

What are you talking about? As a bisexual male who's a fan of yaoi, shotacon, and otome/fujoshi-related stuff, I identify MORE with female fans than I do male ones frequently. Where exactly did I say that I wanted to "drive female fans out"? You're intentionally viewing what I say in a negative light.

By the way, I'm good friends with this one other girl who goes to my school's anime club as well. I got to know her because I write a boy's love story and gave it to her and some other yaoi fangirls at my school.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
No one gives a crap about your anime club.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm well aware, but when you stated that "those kind of people don't exist" when I have contrary evidence all the time and Draenor started seeing undertones to my post where none actually existed, I felt the need to speak up.

Also you've still not answered my questions in any satisfactory way possible.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:48 am Reply with quote
Your general point, Chagen, is about the same as saying "The only people who should drink wine are expert wine tasters. All the other people have no idea of what wine truly is and we shouldn't just let anyone drink it or like it." So yeah, it is incredibly snobbish
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:36 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I've had people act like they're kings on anime while I'm snickering quietly and thinking about the reams of shota doujins I have, or the fansubs/VNs/etc. DL'ed on my computer, or the fact that I just spent an hour browsing desuchan's /tr/ap board, OR the fact that I obsessively check this site every day and know all about every show airing (many of them literally don't know what's gonna air each season at all)...god, they know nothing about anime but they like to think that they're Japanese and it annoys me.

There's something amusing about putting someone down because they are japanophiles, and then turning around and saying 'but Im better because I LIKE SHOTA'.

I don't really care for that kind of fan either, but is someone who 'spends an hour browsing desuchan's /tr/ap board' or 'obsessively checking a site every day' or say, attacking a type of fan out of the blue really that much better for the anime fandom?

And even if it is irritating... oh wow, Japan uses random English ALL THE TIME, and it's generally not used all that well... why does that get a pass?

Good job derailing the thread though. Not like there were good conversations going on about any of the week's topics.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, Japan is the most important market when it comes to anime. They decide what gets new episodes and control the fate of their properties. Plus, hey, they make the best merchandise and fanworks so it's preferable to have stuff popular there

Oban wasn't produced in Japan- just animation and soundtrack was made there, so the first point have nothing to do with discussion that I remind you- started when you claimed that no popularity in USA and Japan= no popularity at all.

TitanXL wrote:

Or maybe he wants to make an "anime" because he finds that medium more accessible and open than other avenues? Just a thought.

Then he is terribly delusional- trying to break into the industry they don't know anything about, without even knowing the language.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Then he is terribly delusional- trying to break into the industry they don't know anything about, without even knowing the language.

Woah, be careful there. I got excoriated when I said this.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote
For what, common sense?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Apparently telling a person he hasn't thought out his plans well enough and that he wants to do something only because of a misguided love for Japan is "wrong", somehow.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, your posts may seem a bit too sarcastic. Avoid "W word" and try just to give the reason.

I wonder if this part about translator is American issue, since you don't have too much imported culture, thus don't deal with translating issues on daily basic. Using an example- look for Sapkowski's works translated by Kandel and that-other-one and try to believe that they were written by the same person.

Or just try to image that person from some country in Europe goes to American comic publisher and tries to convince to publish his work translated by guy taken from the street, while not speaking a word in English.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
Oban wasn't produced in Japan- just animation and soundtrack was made there, so the first point have nothing to do with discussion that I remind you- started when you claimed that no popularity in USA and Japan= no popularity at all.

So it wasn't even an anime to begin with? That would explain why, I guess. Makes sense now.

Quote:

Well, yeah, the chances are slim to none, but he was mystified on why someone would want to.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Cobbler is a shoemaker.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8