• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Fandoms of Evil

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
Not necessarily. Adaptations often target an audience that hasn't even read the manga.

Yes, but those are generally made to drum up interest in the manga and boost sales though, like Chihayafuru and Shingeki no Kyojin did. I suppose you could argue Aku no Hana went for a "shock" approach by getting people to see if the manga was any better, but fans hoping for an anime adaption like other manga get kind of got thrown under a bus for that approach.

LavenderMintRose wrote:
And while I know it's not easy by any means to change an industry overnight (and I wouldn't suggest that they're going to), things are changing already that would make it a lot easier to make an American production of that sort of thing happen.

While I agree the idea of "I wanna make an anime" is a common, misguided dream of youths who grow up loving anime, it's also misguided to tell people to just make a "cartoon/comic" instead of an anime/manga. Unless your idea lines up with kid-friendly image Nickelodeon, Disney, or Cartoon Network find marketable, it's not going to be greenlit, and I imagine most people who want to "make their own anime" probably aren't looking to make the usual kid-friendly stuff. The markets are completely different, and self publishing only goes so far.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Is Flower's of Evil actually good? I don't really care about the controversy as I detest moe looks an wouldn't be interested if it looked like that.

But beyond that, is the show even good? What's it about? Is it just another slice of life show or is there something dark going on?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
scarletmoonwish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Is Flower's of Evil actually good? I don't really care about the controversy as I detest moe looks an wouldn't be interested if it looked like that.

But beyond that, is the show even good? What's it about? Is it just another slice of life show or is there something dark going on?

It's a really dark psychological anime..I read the manga and stuff is just terrible for the protagonist...But it does start up slow.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Recently, there actually has been a sort of Western "light novel" to come out in Japan. The "Ninja Slayer" series by "Bradley Bond-san and Philip Ninj@ Morzez-san" was translated in installments on Twitter, where it garnered enough attention for a Japanese publisher to bring it out in book form. No word on an anime, but it's out in front of the Japanese book-buying public now, so I guess anything could happen.

Last edited by vanfanel on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
victor viper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
I think the ugliness of the anime really fits with the ugliness of the theme and the ugliness of the poems that inspired the manga. Do I like it? No, I couldn't stand to watch it. But I applaud what it did. If it did indeed 'desecrate' moe, then it was doing only what Baudelaire did in the first place.

I just finished watching the first episode of Flowers of Evil. Any time I see a bimodal distribution of reviews like this show has, it tells me that it might at least potentially be interesting. As far as the animation and the rotoscoping goes, I found it to be appropriate. After all, if the anime is going to emulate Baudelaire, humans and human feelings can be ugly; perhaps a good portion of the anime-viewing audience doesn't want to fully embrace that idea. Maybe it helps that I haven't really had any exposure to the Flowers of Evil manga; I know that it exists, but that's about it.

While watching the first episode, I found myself comparing the look and the feel of the show to Makoto Shinkai's 5 Centimeters per Second. While 5 cm embraces the beauty of the world as it is and possibly views adolescence with rose-colored glasses, it's pretty clear that Flowers of Evil is going to be the polar opposite on both counts.

All that being said, was the first episode perfect? No. For instance, a little too much effort was made to make the Nakamura character menacing (even not having read the manga, it's clear enough by the coda of the episode where this is going). On the other hand, it's been a while since the first episode of a show has left me with such a palpable sensation of dread (Narutaru, another divisive anime, comes to mind). Do I want every new show of the season to evoke this type of response? No, but Flowers of Evil is definitely on my radar as one of the more interesting new shows.

Last edited by victor viper on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Great answer for the light novel question! It actually gets me motivated. While I have no aspirations to create an anime series, I wouldn't mind dabbing in writing some fiction series or for a comic series (writing only. I can't draw worth a damn).

As for the download to own thing, I have taken advantage of that for stuff that's not on DVD (Blue Dragon, Hikaru no Go, etc), but I can understand it not being a popular service since you can't even (legally) burn the video files to a blank DVD, which I'd love to do. As far as watching a movie online goes, streaming is the most practical method.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and I imagine most people who want to "make their own anime" probably aren't looking to make the usual kid-friendly stuff. The markets are completely different, and self publishing only goes so far.

Of course not. They're looking to make trite fanfic-level stuff that no manga anthology would look at if they WERE native Japanese.

Quote:
After all, if the anime is going to emulate Baudelaire, humans and human feelings can be ugly; perhaps a good portion of the anime-viewing audience doesn't want to fully embrace that idea.

As much as I like what Flowers of Evil did with its design, I do think that an anime that juxtaposed the stereotypically "cute" designs of characters with really fucked up subject matter would be an interesting show.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
As much as I like what Flowers of Evil did with its design, I do think that an anime that juxtaposed the stereotypically "cute" designs of characters with really fucked up subject matter would be an interesting show.

That's hardly a new concept either, though. Heck, Madoka is still currently in vogue and that's its modus operandi to a T.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

That make me think of Higurashi When They Cry which most certainly descends into some very disturbing things.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote
I really liked the second question about light novels. I have dreams of one day having my own ideas become an anime. Yeah, yeah, I know that's not even remotely original, but I feel so trapped by not having a good creative outlet.

The story ideas I come up are normally inspired by anime i've seen, however, I like to think that I don't really like the same type of shows that are just copy/pastes. I think my favorite anime series that I draw inspiration from are the ones that are the most unique.

I feel that western animation is either aimed at kids or adults. And it seems like all animation on western TV and movies are all comedies. I honestly can't think of single really serious animation piece i've seen.

And anime just has a certain.....feel to it. It's hard to describe, but in my mind, there is a huge difference between anime and western storytelling. I don't think there has ever been a US film or TV series that I truly cried during, but there have been multiple anime that has made me BAWL man-tears. The character development and story telling in actual serious anime is really great and it's something I truly love about it. And it inspires me to come up stories with similar ways of character development and story telling. But I feel like that won't be as popular in the country I would first publish anything in (the US), and if it's not popular there, then how can it go worldwide? I'm 20, and writing these stories I come up is something I would absolutely love to do, and i'd love to see the stories become an anime, which is what inspired me in the first place, I just have no confidence that it could turn out like that. That just getting my stories out there would be impossible.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
Alright now to be honest, I skipped the flowers of evil post because I'm not watching it at the momment. Maybe I will or won't but as far as people complaining about the artwork, as a fan of one piece, I'm simply numb to the whole "I don't like the art nuuuurrrrr!!!" sometimes a style difference can acctually look nice when refiened so in the end all that matters to me is if the story is solid or not, and from what I hear, its at least interesting.

But I'm really posting here because of the light novel response. My life's goal is to become a cartoonist and there has always been this stupid little side dream in the back of my mind where if I get famous enough I could temporaily move to japan to write a short shonen manga or something of the like. I think that response simply made me realize that if I were to do that, I'd have to probably be grounded in creating comics (or graphic novels I really don't care, either works) but I also want to go into animation, so I may as well hurry up and pick a side first (though I'm leaning on animation).
Ozzhiroth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
The Ergo proxy comment the answerman says kind of offends and makes me ask one thing about the Anime fans.
"What the heck is actually considered 'good' by fans?" I found many "great/masterpieces" to be very dull drab repeated again and again.
EX: Saikano, Clannad, Elfen lied, Rahxephon, Death Note, Chobits and the list goes on.

I have to wonder what the heck makes me different from the "standard" anime fan at this point.
I Love the messed stuff in Evangelion, especially the last 5 episodes(including the last two).
Btw, the "fake psychology" in that show is so real it is not funny.
I went to a therapist for a year to relearn what Evangelion taught me in the second half of it. What the hell!!!

I hear the same crap about Ergo Proxy and I go in expecting tons of pretension and I come out of it like I had an experience out of Xenogears on the PS1,
which also gets flak for the same things Eva does.

At this point I am at a loss about Anime fans.
I gave Cowboy bebop a try twice and found it to be great but not the "spectacular" it is billed with.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
I am also very offended that you don't think Ergo Proxy is that good. It's definitely in my Top 3 favorite anime of all time. It's a truly underrated masterpiece. The darker art style did a great job of reflecting the tone of the series. The atmosphere of the whole series (including art, music, etc) was amazingly well done. There was so much symbolism in there that I guess it either overwhelms people, or goes over there head. ("2deep4u" might actually apply here) All together with a sci-fi story makes Ergo Proxy an anime I will definitely always remember as being a masterpiece. One of the series i'm proudest to have in my collect.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:14 am Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:
I am also very offended that you don't think Ergo Proxy is that good. ...[snip]... There was so much symbolism in there that I guess it either overwhelms people, or goes over there head. ("2deep4u" might actually apply here)

I liked Ergo Proxy too, I just see no point in getting offended if someone else doesn't like it. It is much more fun to just like what you want to like, and not care what other people think.

Just like the people who don't like Flower of Evil attempt to dismiss those who like it by calling them "hipsters". I suppose it is human nature to want to retaliate against these childish taunts, and the resulting arguments created this gigantic pseudo-controversy. However, after the fact, it really served no purpose whatsoever. (well, maybe seeing the flagrant display of paranoia was somewhat entertaining...) Wink
foxinthestars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:49 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Of course not. They're looking to make trite fanfic-level stuff that no manga anthology would look at if they WERE native Japanese.

I take offense to the term "fanfic-level." Yes, I write it; I've been writing it for 25 years. And yes, a lot of it is bad, but it's not necessarily bad as an essential trait (unless you just object to the whole enterprise, which is your perogative but doesn't put you in a good position to judge the merits).

With regard to the original asker, though, I agree with what a lot of people are saying. Don't marry a specific industry, especially not one that will require lots of other people to go so far out of their way to make your dream come true. If you want to make stories, make stories in whatever way comes naturally to you --- write, draw, teach yourself computer animation, you can do this stuff (heck, Voices of a Distant Star was animated by one person), and if you want to reach for something more ambitious, the experience will serve you well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8