• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Fandoms of Evil

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Hey Answerfans does not need, in any way, a segment catering to the delusions of weeaboos. Because that's what this guy is: he's a weeaboo and only cares about publishing in Japan because Japan is "NEKO SUGOI DESU".

Enabling is a bad thing, kids.

Yes, thats why Im interested in hearing the opinions of both sides, because both sides are 'enabling'. Rolling Eyes Considering there is a pretty decent conversation going on in this thread, I'm not seeing the problem.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:

It would be kinda neat if there was a Hey Answerfans segment focusing on this idea, or it's own thread or something. Scrolling through this thread, the comments on both sides have been pretty interesting. Would be neat to see debated without all the Flowers of Evil baggage tacked on.

Hey Answerfans does not need, in any way, a segment catering to the delusions of weeaboos. Because that's what this guy is: he's a weeaboo and only cares about publishing in Japan because Japan is "NEKO SUGOI DESU".

Enabling is a bad thing, kids.

I like how everyone in this thread is dumping all over him because OH NO AN ANIME FAN WANTS TO MAKE ANIME/MANGA HOW HORRIBLE.

Sure, its not going to happen, but christ you guys are being massive not-so-nice-people.

Wait thats seriously word filtered? LOOOOOOL
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I like how everyone in this thread is dumping all over him because OH NO AN ANIME FAN WANTS TO MAKE ANIME/MANGA HOW HORRIBLE.

Sure, its not going to happen, but christ you guys are being massive not-so-nice-people.

That's the exact thing. He wants to make an anime, solely because he's new to the fandom and is going through his weeaboo phase. We all do.

Why does he want to get published in Japan? Because he thinks that the Japanese will love him and that he'll get a cute Japanese girlfriend or some shit when the reality is so divorced from that it's hilarious.

I was once like that. Then I realized that I didn't want to make anime, I was just being an misguided weeb. I still would love to direct a cartoon, but not an anime, even if it did have anime influence.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
Japan ignored Oban Star racers and??? Who cares about Japan? Why not measure tthe success by number of readers in Vietnam? Or China, since they are the biggest nation in the world?

Well, Japan is the most important market when it comes to anime. They decide what gets new episodes and control the fate of their properties. Plus, hey, they make the best merchandise and fanworks so it's preferable to have stuff popular there.

Chagen46 wrote:
That's the exact thing. He wants to make an anime, solely because he's new to the fandom and is going through his weeaboo phase. We all do.

Or maybe he wants to make an "anime" because he finds that medium more accessible and open than other avenues? Just a thought.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Why does he want to get published in Japan? Because he thinks that the Japanese will love him and that he'll get a cute Japanese girlfriend or some shit when the reality is so divorced from that it's hilarious.

I was once like that. Then I realized that I didn't want to make anime, I was just being an misguided weeb. I still would love to direct a cartoon, but not an anime, even if it did have anime influence.

You are really goddamn concerned about being a "weeb"

I suggest you reexamine your priorities in life.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You are really goddamn concerned about being a "weeb"

Because they are some of the most aggravating fans ever.

Have you ever been around one in real life? Have you ever actually heard someone say the words "kawaii" and "sugoi" in real life and act like they know everything about anime even though they only watch shounen crap like Naruto? I have. I've had people act like they're kings on anime while I'm snickering quietly and thinking about the reams of shota doujins I have, or the fansubs/VNs/etc. DL'ed on my computer, or the fact that I just spent an hour browsing desuchan's /tr/ap board, OR the fact that I obsessively check this site every day and know all about every show airing (many of them literally don't know what's gonna air each season at all)...god, they know nothing about anime but they like to think that they're Japanese and it annoys me.

And don't get me started on how they think they know Japanese culture because they watched Bleach and Haruhi.

They're aggravating as hell and they us real anime fans look like idiots.
Draneor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Because they are some of the most aggravating fans ever.

If some kid gets enjoyment out of watching Naruto and saying "kawaii", great. I'm not gonna judge someone for what they need to do to get through high school.

Rather, I'd argue people that impose purity tests and try to argue they are the better fan because they do x are even more aggravating. At the end of the day, it's just a hobby. On the one hand, we have snobbish not-so-nice-people and on the other someone who enjoys something. I'd rather be friends with the latter.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

They're aggravating as hell and they us real anime fans look like idiots.

I so don't want to hear that from you.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I so don't want to hear that from you.

How very funny, you may be able to get such backhanded insults behind the view of the mods but I know what you mean.

Quote:
Rather, I'd argue people that impose purity tests and try to argue they are the better fan because they do x are even more aggravating. At the end of the day, it's just a hobby. On the one hand, we have snobbish not-so-nice-people and on the other someone who enjoys something. I'd rather be friends with the latter.

Expecting quality in your fanbase is "snobbish" now? Look, I'm sorry, but sometimes you have to have standards that aren't below sea level.
Draneor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Expecting quality in your fanbase is "snobbish" now? Look, I'm sorry, but sometimes you have to have standards that aren't below sea level.

You seem to lack self-awareness and let's just leave it at that.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Since you seem to have completely ignored my point, I ask you, once again: how is expecting a certain measure of quality in your fanbase "snobbish"? Do you really think that we should openly embrace anyone who claims to like anime, regardless of who they are?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Since you seem to have completely ignored my point, I ask you, once again: how is expecting a certain measure of quality in your fanbase "snobbish"? Do you really think that we should openly embrace anyone who claims to like anime, regardless of who they are?

Who gets to define quality, you?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
You cannot think that screechy 13-year-old girls on deviantart who write bad NaruSasu slash and talk about their sugoi pinku bento (oh fudge it hurt just to write that) are a good thing for the anime fandom.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
You cannot think that screechy 13-year-old girls on deviantart who write bad NaruSasu slash and talk about their sugoi pinku bento (oh fudge it hurt just to write that) are a good thing for the anime fandom.

The first I have no issue with and the second isn't even real.

So...?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and the second isn't even real.

The leader of my school's anime club is exactly like that. Like, she uses random Japanese words and insists that we start the club by reciting a Japanese phrase literally ripped directly from Naruto.

I only go there to hang out with friends and to TRY to possibly educate the casuals there on true anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8