• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Flowers of Evil TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Interesting, wonder if it'll get a dub.
Good luck getting that to work.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

SNAFU doesn't line up exactly with Sentai's normal acquisitions...

Not sure why you would say that. First, Sentai licenses such a wide variety of titles that I'm not sure there is such a thing as a "normal" acquisition for them and second they have plenty of rom-coms in their catalogue.
supercreep

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Good! I was getting worried that this was going to skipped over due to the general reaction. I love it, and will certainly pick it up. I hope it goes blu.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow Sentai seems to be the destination of my anime spending money recently.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Not to say anything negative about the show, which has been bold in its all-around presentation and pretty good so far, but I didn't think they would license such a risky show given the predilections of so many about it. I suppose they are hedging their bets for it to be a masterpiece and better-received by the end, but risky this is…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CosmicRage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I just started watching this in CR as well, it seems interesting at least visually. I am curious if they rotoscoped the whole thing or not. I might have to look into the actual production of this show more.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
CosmicRage wrote:
I just started watching this in CR as well, it seems interesting at least visually. I am curious if they rotoscoped the whole thing or not. I might have to look into the actual production of this show more.

The one thing I really do hope we get with a home video release is production features and comprehensive staff interviews.

But then, I don't really know what Sentai's track record with this kind of stuff is.

Hell, I'm kinda wondering if even the Japanese side will have this stuff... not exactly expecting this to sell like gangbusters.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Not to say anything negative about the show, which has been bold in its all-around presentation and pretty good so far, but I didn't think they would license such a risky show given the predilections of so many about it. I suppose they are hedging their bets for it to be a masterpiece and better-received by the end, but risky this is…

It's likely they licensed it before the first episode even aired. Crunchyroll announced it by then, and their streaming rights are almost certainly a sublicense from Sentai.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Interesting, wonder if it'll get a dub.

A dub would be interesting, though I wouldn't be too broken up about it if it didn't get one considering how japanese the environment and characters are.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:23 am Reply with quote
I had to check CR to see what the deal was with the backlash on this show, especially when I heard Sentai licensed it. Have to say the backlash is well warranted. Rotoscoping or whatever they call it didn't work when they tried to make a really bad LOTR adapation a few decades ago, it does not work now. Also I can understand people complaining because it is based on a manga, not an original work or a light novel, so there are character designs accepted by the readership. This was not the time or the show to "experiment" with.

This is really best served with something shorter like a movie.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:38 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Given what I've heard of ADV these days, they're just going back to what they were doing before which was hoover licences up (them getting their own special brand of nonsense up on non American TV is a new thing though but that could just be a part of the madness) and hope the bank manager doesn't catch on.

We all saw where that got them last time so yeah.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:27 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:
Given what I've heard of ADV these days, they're just going back to what they were doing before which was hoover licences up (them getting their own special brand of nonsense up on non American TV is a new thing though but that could just be a part of the madness) and hope the bank manager doesn't catch on.

We all saw where that got them last time so yeah.

As has been pointed out repeatedly before, Sentai's and ADV's businesses are very different. ADV dubbed almost everything, only leaving series without clean effects tracks as subonly. Sentai doesn't have a manga division, a record division, a toy division, a 24 hour cable channel, or an original production division. They don't even run their own ADR studio anymore and they don't fund Anime Network as it's legally a separate company now.

Sentai also only pays a fraction of what ADV paid for titles. Sentai also sublicenses the simulcast rights (mostly to CR and TAN), which covers a good portion of the initial licensing fee. Even if a show doesn't pull good streaming numbers, slapping it on a sub-only disc is relatively low risk and only requires minimal sales to break even. When they do produce dubs, they are always sold in other markets, or produced with assistance of other companies. Even a lot of their blurays have their authoring costs shared with companies like Hannabee, allowing quite a bit of savings in the replication department.

They may be licensing a lot of series, but they are doing so much more carefully than ADV. As far as us fans are concerned, it's probably a good thing for variety considering how little the remaining R1 companies license and how often Funimation has months full of nothing but rereleases. July is actually the first month in a very long time where Funi has more new content than old.

If Sentai were operating exactly as ADV, then they would already be gone or you would see a dramatic decrease on the content they are putting out, instead of the exact opposite. These threads about Sentai making the same mistakes as ADV have been popping up for five years now. Can we finally give them a rest?
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
... Rotoscoping or whatever they call it didn't work when they tried to make a really bad LOTR adapation a few decades ago, it does not work now. ...

Reactions differ on whether it works or not, which is another reason to suspect this will end up being a sub-only release.

Blood- wrote:
agila61 wrote:
SNAFU doesn't line up exactly with Sentai's normal acquisitions...

Not sure why you would say that. First, Sentai licenses such a wide variety of titles that I'm not sure there is such a thing as a "normal" acquisition for them and second they have plenty of rom-coms in their catalogue.

Had you bothered to read the remark I was replying to, you would have noticed that it said:
Quote:
All of those series have streaming areas that align with Sentai's normal acquisitions and sublicenses to Crunchyroll. One of them is also a TBS series that already has an English name, so Snafu is almost a certainty.

Since I was referring to the pattern of regional access rights on Crunchyroll ~ the unusual "US & Canada, South Africa and Scandinavia" licensing ~ the fact that its a rom-com seems a bit beside the point.

Regarding the speculation that followed:
Quote:
... that is US & Canada, the Nordic Countries and South Africa is "English Speaking Countries plus Scandinavia" minus UK & Oz. Its already showing on the Anime on Demand catalog, so we know where the UK & Ireland lockout is coming from. If Madman has expressed an interest in or is negotiating for SNAFU, then that would explain the Australia / NZ lockout.

... that guess as to why Crunchyroll failed to get Australia/NZ looks like it was correct, since Madman has announced that they are streaming SNAFU.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I have only heard bad things about this show
and then I come to anime news network and everyone here likes it...

one thing I don't like is how they keep trying to make a fast buck by pumping out as much as they can with little regard to quality
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Probably a series they can market even to non-anime watchers..........
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4