• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation to Unveil New Anime Next Friday

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

And you're accusing me of oversimplifying.

Cute isn't bad, "cutesy" is bad. I would define "cutesy" as dwelling on cute aesthetics to the point of fetishism, and to the degradation of the effort.

Everyone with an opinion is judgemental. That's what an opinion is. My judgement is that cutesy bullcrap is a waste of good animation. It's just a safe self-delusion for the mawkish to use as a security blanket.

Of course I'm oversimplifying, I had to bring it down to your apparent intellectual level. Since you apparently thought Penguindrum was SUPER DEEP or something.

And what use is ultraviolence? Why is mindless ultraviolence "good" for you while fluffly cuteness is bad? Why?

Also, you have yet to ever demonstrate you've even given those shows a chance, instead you just use your biases to insult anyone who disagrees with you, including continually insisting that the only reason anyone would watch those shows is so they can do lewd things to anime figures. Which is A) Not true and B) A seriously bizarre thing to focus on. Why do you do that again?
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Are you implying Penguindrum isn't a smart and clever show? I don't want to use the word "deep", but yes it has depth.

If so..............................

ha.

I'm sorry I'm with Penguin with this. These boring looking school shows are not what I think about when I think anime. Whats the point of them being in animated, let alone by a good studio? I don't know about you peeps, but I didn't get into anime and I sure don't like watching cartoons to see boring everyday things. No I like animation to have crazy things that are out of this world. So no, I have never got school shows starting cute girls doing pointless cute things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Are you implying Penguindrum isn't a smart and clever show? I don't want to use the word "deep", but yes it has depth.

Penguindrum was so deep it ended up drowning.

It was worth watching, but its definitely heavily overrated. I'll take Utena any day for my Ikuhara fix.

Quote:
I'm sorry I'm with Penguin with this. These boring looking school shows are not what I think about when I think anime. Whats the point of them being in animated, let alone by a good studio? I don't know about you peeps, but I didn't get into anime and I sure don't like watching cartoons to see boring everyday things. No I like animation to have crazy things that are out of this world. So no, I have never got school shows starting cute girls doing pointless cute things.

Who cares if they are what you think of when you think of anime? Who asked you? Why is your opinion more important than that of people who do like those shows? Because you feel that since you like "deep" and "meaningful" shows (as defined solely by yourself) that any shows you don't like must not be worthwhile?

Do you think someone is forcing those poor people at KyoAni to make these shows? When actually KyoAni is one of the very few studios that is not beholden to what some production comittee hires them to animate? They make these shows because they want to. These are the shows that the best animators in Japan want to make. So for you to come along and say that their efforts are pointless, that these shows do not even deserve to exist is not only a spectacularly huge amount of hubris on your part, it devalues the very medium you claim to support.

You don't have to like what KyoAni makes, but by god don't look down on the work from your position of being some dipshit on ANN named after the 2003 remake of [expletive] REIDEEN.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You don't have to like what KyoAni makes, but by god don't look down on the work from your position of being some dipshit on ANN named after the 2003 remake of [expletive] REIDEEN.
Rahxephon came out in 2002. Maybe the actual Reideen remake came out in 2003.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Quote:

Oh I'm so sorry I was off by a year. It was only a decade ago. How could I possibly get that wrong?

Regardless, by nitpicking about that but not addressing the meat of the post you are effectively admitting that you have no actual leg to stand on here.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
How was it meandering?

It had a very fits and starts structure. A storyline would start, go a little while and then we'd be off on something else - normally a very wtf? something else.

I don't mind Penguindrum - I only got half way through it, but I'll eventually buy the series and watch the whole thing.

I'm assuming you mostly have K-ON! in mind with your retarded "all of KyoAni's show suck" mentality. Stupid to use that as a basis to diss their entire output but then I've never seen you write anything that wasn't kinda douchily stupid.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Of course I'm oversimplifying, I had to bring it down to your apparent intellectual level. Since you apparently thought Penguindrum was SUPER DEEP or something.

Deeper than "Look what these quirky high school girls are doing with instruments! That's not the way you hold a guitar, silly!"

Quote:
continually insisting that the only reason anyone would watch those shows is so they can do lewd things to anime figures. Which is A) Not true and B) A seriously bizarre thing to focus on. Why do you do that again?

Those shows are tailor-made for the mindset that gave birth to "hot gluing". You think anyone was messing their Ghost in the Shell figures? No. Moeblob Character#495485 with the eyepatch, school uniform, and ahoge is the one sad sacks buy hug pillows for, the one they have dinner with their screencaps with. It's the self-deluded blanket clenchers who want to pretend if they were cute girls they'd have friends like Konata and Yui for twenty minutes every week.

That is KyoAni's bread and butter, their lifeblood.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Quote:

Oh I'm so sorry I was off by a year. It was only a decade ago. How could I possibly get that wrong?

Regardless, by nitpicking about that but not addressing the meat of the post you are effectively admitting that you have no actual leg to stand on here.
It was more of a joke about how I did'nt reply to the big nonsense that I should, but the small thing.

But Sounds like someone's pretty sensitive.

Quote:
Who cares if they are what you think of when you think of anime?
Who cares what you think? No one, yet you keep crying and crying and trying to defend your precious Koyo Ani and like to claim Penigundrum is overatted. Basically you're doing the same thing I'm doing. Spouting you're opinion. So don't come at me with the incredibly dumb "who care's what you think" defense. It makes you look silly.

And eh, I care about what I think about anime. Hence I said it what I think. Am I not allowed to do that?

Quote:
Who asked you?
No one, just like no one asked you if you like this studio's work. Yet you keep telling as you do. Why is that? Oh I don't know because this is a forum where people say what they think regardless of if anyone asked them or not. Gee whiz what a great invention of the this very modern and new internet!
Quote:

Because you feel that since you like "deep" and "meaningful" shows (as defined solely by yourself) that any shows you don't like must not be worthwhile?
Um huh? Where the F did I saw anything like this. I stated I think Peguindrum is a show that's pretty smart and thoughtful. No where did I claim anything about judging other shows of not being worthy. No, I said I'm not interested in the Cute Girl shows, but nowhere did I claim it has anything to do with depth or not. You're trying to create a strawman here and it's stupid. And of course it's defined solely by me. I define what I personally think is smart and good. DUH!
Quote:

Do you think someone is forcing those poor people at KyoAni to make these shows?
Um no, and I never implied I did....what does this have to do with anything....
Quote:
When actually KyoAni is one of the very few studios that is not beholden to what some production comittee hires them to animate?
Good for them. Thanks for the info, but I don't think I was talking about their production system. So why are you telling me this?

Quote:
These are the shows that the best animators in Japan want to make.
Best? Eh I don't think they are the best(can I say that, I mean you were able to say this, oh snap who asked you?) and they surly don't produce anything that's visually cool to me as say Redline or even Pengiundrum. And well visual identity is pretty important to me.

Quote:
So for you to come along and say that their efforts are pointless, that these shows do not even deserve to exist is not only a spectacularly huge amount of hubris on your part, it devalues the very medium you claim to support.
Um I never said that. I said I don't care for their efforts and can't get into them. Please learn to read. And you know what, I can say that.

and lol hubris. Please get real. I can not care about a stupid studio and think their work is lame. There's no Pride here, no it's called not freaking caring about their crap and not being their audience.

Hell I think they devalue this medium, because they continue pumping out anime I don't care for that continues the current lame image of anime. Yes I said I. Please attack that and say I'm trying to impose my personal views on this huge studio. No man, I'm saying my personal views, just like you are. The difference here is I'm not telling you that you can't like them. I'm not sure why you are trying to turn liking this studio into some political studio. It's stupid cartoons. You like some or you don't.

Quote:
Translation: NEVER EVER say anything bad about my favorite holy than thou anime studio. Meanwhile I can say whatever I want.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Penguin, you are pathologically obsessed with Otaku and their sexual habits.

Quote:
Sounds like someone's pretty sensitive.

No, you're just being a condescending and utterly disingenuous twit who says inflammatory and mostly-incorrect things just to piss people off and when they get rightfully annoyed you stick your fingers in your ears and chant "LALA YOU'RE JUST SENSITIVE!" to shut down any chance of a retort.

Last edited by Chagen46 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Those shows are tailor-made for the mindset that gave birth to "hot gluing". You think anyone was messing their Ghost in the Shell figures?

Yes, Ghost in the Shell. Totally not a show that makes you think of sexiness. Nope. Not at all.

Quote:
No. Moeblob Character#495485 with the eyepatch, school uniform, and ahoge is the one sad sacks buy hug pillows for, the one they have dinner with their screencaps with. It's the self-deluded blanket clenchers who want to pretend if they were cute girls they'd have friends like Konata and Yui for twenty minutes every week.

This screed is hilarious in how much projection it clearly is.

Quote:

And? Even if thats true, why is it a problem?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
The "you're just being sensitive" comment from people who spend their time accusing people of liking stuff they don't of being horrible perverts is pretty [expletive] disingenuous.
Kastel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
t's the self-deluded blanket clenchers who want to pretend if they were cute girls they'd have friends like Konata and Yui for twenty minutes every week.

This is true. I am currently doing this right now. Why is Yui so moe~~~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Hell I think they devalue this medium, because they continue pumping out anime I don't care for

Yeah uh this is pretty much the definition of hubris.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Hell I think they devalue this medium, because they continue pumping out anime I don't care for that continues the current lame image of anime. Yes I said I. Please attack that and say I'm trying to impose my personal views on this huge studio. No man, I'm saying my personal views, just like you are. The difference here is I'm not telling you that you can't like them. I'm not sure why you are trying to turn liking this studio into some political studio. It's stupid cartoons. You like some or you don't.

So you are saying your opinions are the only ones that count, correct?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Those shows are tailor-made for the mindset that gave birth to "hot gluing". You think anyone was messing their Ghost in the Shell figures? No. Moeblob Character#495485 with the eyepatch, school uniform, and ahoge is the one sad sacks buy hug pillows for, the one they have dinner with their screencaps with. It's the self-deluded blanket clenchers who want to pretend if they were cute girls they'd have friends like Konata and Yui for twenty minutes every week.

I thought I liked the anime I watched for other reasons, but you've helped me realize the real reason I should be watching. Guess I'll go celebrate Kuroneko's birthday by jizzing on one of my figures of her. Seems really gross, but clearly this is only the right thing to do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 17