• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seiyuu Change Enrages Fans

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:30 am Reply with quote
Yikes.

It does certainly seem like a strange thing, to switch the seiyuu for Four Murasame, when the old one is still active. If her voice is still servicable for the role, there's no good reason to change. Especially since it's a major character like Four, and fans would notice.

I've read there's a boycott being called for in the Japanese fan community, which seems a bit extreme, but it is pretty stupid to switch the VA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Izlude

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:45 am Reply with quote
Simple - the original VA probably was unable to attend the audition for the part, or was probably busy and couldnt do it. Who knows. Shiz like that happens.

It wont matter how many angry otaku gather, they cant change a person's role Razz
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:42 am Reply with quote
And people say we have problems when one of OUR US companies does drastic (name changes/plot deletions/editing for time constraints).
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:13 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
And people say we have problems when one of OUR US companies does drastic (name changes/plot deletions/editing for time constraints).
Need the less, Gundam has it rabid fans over there, alot more then over here. A change of a main character, one that is relationship with the stuff, will rise concern among the hardcore fans. Well they change the it? I guess it depends how far in to production they are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Buster D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:50 am Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
Simple - the original VA probably was unable to attend the audition for the part, or was probably busy and couldnt do it. Who knows. Shiz like that happens.

Unfortunately, it appears that this was no accident. There's a translation of the the Japanese article here: http://forums.animeondvd.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1111564&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Quote:
It wont matter how many angry otaku gather, they can't change a person's role Razz

No one thinks that they'll change it for the theatrical release, but they're hoping it will be changed for the DVD release. Even though I live in Tokyo I won't be paying to see it in the theaters, I'll wait to rent it on DVD. But I'll buy it if they re-do the voices for the DVD. Maybe go see it in theaters as well if they announce it early enough.
Dachande

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:31 am Reply with quote
According to that forum, the original voice for Sarah and Rosamia got passed over as well. I'd be willing to bet that after all this uproar over it, they will get the originals back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LilyChan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:40 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Yeah, I bet they're a lot more scary and more fanatical if you well... >_o;;

I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it. Anime hyper
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:41 am Reply with quote
Oh teh DRAMA! This kind of thing happens all the time. 9 times out of 10, I cant even tell the difference. Unless Megumi Hyashibara got booted from her role as Lina Inverse and was replaced with Christopher Walken.

Actually that would've been hilarious.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:57 am Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:

Except for the part where she was available and Tomino was misinformed by unreliable sources. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:57 am Reply with quote
It sounds to me that somebody obviously didn't want her in the part. That should be a big hint to her not to join the project.

It's not like the other VA is inexperienced. She's had plenty of roles too.

This whole thing of fighting over the internet to gain public support is pretty unprofessional in my opinion. I think that the original VA should just find another project.

In less than 2 months, this whole issue will probably be forgotten.

In the end, the only victim is the movie.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote
That was an incorrect judgement saying that Japanese anime fans are too extreme or even rabid. Everyone has to remember that while there are a lot of Japanese anime fans here in the U.S. as well as in other parts of the world, anime is taken very seriously by its fan in its native country of Japan.

That was a very generalized statement.

Japanese anime fans are very dedicated to their favourite series and news reports like these about anime fans boycotting anime studios for changes such as this are much in the same way that fans here in the states boycott companies as well. Anime is one of Japans biggest forms of entertainment for entertainment fans and with so much anime available in any given month its no wonder why these fans are so vocal about their frustrations.

Sure, these studios don't answer to the fans but when there is so much outcry by the fanbase for an anime series that has lasted as long as Star Trek, if not longer, what's so hard to understand why Japanese anime fans are outraged over this blatant insult and slap-in-face move that these studios and their directors commit to.

These anime directors are so willing to change the cast for the seiyuu for any given series that they didn't make an effort to double-check to see if the seiyuu was still available. Tomino made a huge error in judgement and it looks like the studio will either reprimand him or remove him from the project, remove the current seiyuu and replace her with the original seiyuu.

It's a good thing to see that anime fans in Japan are still faithful to a long-standing series such as Gundam and support these seiyuu as well.

Kudo's to our fellow anime fans in Japan for sticking to their guns and God-willing, the studio removes the offending seiyuu as well as Tomino.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love it when die-hard Gundam fans throw hissy fits all over cyberspace.

Anyway, here is (basically) my reaction to when I hear a different VA in a role: "What? Aww, shoot." And then I go on watching. The most upset I got was Wendee Lee replaced Sherri Lynn as Kiyone Makibi, but I got over that pretty fast. (Besides, it helped that the season she did it for stunk.)
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:19 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
It sounds to me that somebody obviously didn't want her in the part. That should be a big hint to her not to join the project.

Except that the somebody that didn't want her in the role was on the lower end of the staff (but just happened to be in charge of phoning people), while many of those that DID want her back were much higher up on the chain of command, not the least of which includes the director and creator of Zeta Gundam.

To me, this seems to be more a case of both voice actress and director going "whoa, whoa, waitaminute, hold on, back up, what the f*ck just happened?" and addressing rampant rumors while an upset fanbase that supports them is bringing it all to light, than people deliberately airing their dirty laundry in public just because they never got a callback.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Kudo's to our fellow anime fans in Japan for sticking to their guns and God-willing, the studio removes the offending seiyuu as well as Tomino.

Yeah, I'm sure they're going to remove Yoshiyuki Tomino from the project. That'll happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
antonmonter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I think that some of those japanese otaku are angry because that movie have some sentimental value to them, In this case, the nostalgia of seeing again the vintage characters of Zeta Gundam. When they start to replace old seiyuu for new ones, it obviously looses some of that nostalgic feeling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3