• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Makoto Shinkai's The Garden of Words Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Sentai's usual pricing for movies/OVAs on BD is MSRP of $40, which sells for $30 at TRSI and on DVD is MSRP of $30 selling for $22.50 at TRSI. That's what I would expect The Garden of Worlds to sell at.

Running time does not seem to make any difference with respect to price. The Coicent / Five Numbers BD and DVDs at a running time of 60 minutes sell at exactly the same prices as Children Who Chase Lost Voices BDs and DVDs with a running time of 116 minutes.

I am expecting the prices you mention as well. I was just wondering if the short length of The Garden of Words might lower pricing. But Coicent/Five Numbers indicate that length is not as big a factor in pricing.

Of course, This Boy Can Fight Aliens (which is 25 minutes not including extras) was $15 and $25 on DVD and Bluray respectively. This one way be somewhere in the middle, say $30 or so.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
They were quick to jump on this one but that's no surprise.
Steven Foster will once again be the ADR director for this film's english dub like he has been with all the previous Shinkai film releases over the years.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Sweet a whole movie about feet
lem

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Great news! But I just couldn't wait for the R1. Amzn JP had it available for pre-order in March for less than $63, shipping included.
nhat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Sentai's usual pricing for movies/OVAs on BD is MSRP of $40, which sells for $30 at TRSI and on DVD is MSRP of $30 selling for $22.50 at TRSI. That's what I would expect The Garden of Worlds to sell at.

Running time does not seem to make any difference with respect to price. The Coicent / Five Numbers BD and DVDs at a running time of 60 minutes sell at exactly the same prices as Children Who Chase Lost Voices BDs and DVDs with a running time of 116 minutes.

I am expecting the prices you mention as well. I was just wondering if the short length of The Garden of Words might lower pricing. But Coicent/Five Numbers indicate that length is not as big a factor in pricing.

Well there's other factors besides just length of a film. For animation there's quality and there's definitely quality in the animations.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
^
Distributors do not set prices based on "quality." Virtually every distrib, with the exception of Aniplex of America, has a standard set price for full collections, half-sets and/or LEs. That's why it is usually easy to predict - again, with the exception of AoA which tends to re-invent the pricing wheel every time out - what a certain release is going to cost a head of time.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
That was fast. Yet, I've yet to see it. Well, more Shinkai is always a good thing.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
... I've yet to see it.

No one has.
It doesn't even premiere in JP until the end of next month.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Guess they licensed it because they knew it'd be a good bet to sell, regardless of actual quality. You can sell this stuff on name recognition.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Will this release have the soundtrack included like the Japanese BD copy does, though? I think that's something that should be taken into account here.

I think I'll stick with the JP BD to be safe, then; it's not going to be that much more, and if the subs are as great as Children Who Chase...'s were, it's not like that's going to be an issue.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote
So it's coming out in North America On August 6th. MSRP is $34.98 for bluray and $24.98 on DVD. Right Stuf has the Bluray for $21, and the DVD for $15.

No word on extras. ComixWave is usually pretty good about providing them, but it may be an issue with the US release so close to the Japanese one. Not to mention, the soundtrack may have to be licensed from someone else on the production committee.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Cool. Those MSRPs are lower than I was expecting. Actually might be a reflection of the 48-minute running time after all.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Cool. Those MSRPs are lower than I was expecting. Actually might be a reflection of the 48-minute running time after all.

Yeah, it ultimately ended up somewhere between both our guesses. The actual retail prices are also pretty good. A Shinkai bluray is definitely worth $21.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2