• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Guillermo del Toro Develops Monster Manga as Possible HBO Show

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
This may prove to be interesting depending on who they cast to be play the characters and usually if Toro's name is attached to a project then its going to be solid(outside of his produced work like Mama and Don't be afraid of the Dark which were a very mixed bag).
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I could really see this becoming quite interesting. Hope it works out. Though, Del Toro is attached to about a million projects right now, so there's no telling what will happen with this.

Last edited by Oneeyedjacks on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
i hope it does really well and takes off and they re-do the manga as a result lol.

Im a selfish guy really.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
^I suppose you mean re-print, right? Why would they re-do it when it's already perfect as it is?

OT, this could be really interesting and, ignoring the casting that could always be a problem, I'm very excited about this news. Though, as has been said, Del Toro has a million projects on the work atm -I think the filming of Beauty and the Beast should start in the coming months- I hope this can pick up quickly and doesn't get left behind now that I've gotten all pumped-up about it.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I actually like the sound of this. Monster is pretty much the equivalent of an animated TV drama to begin with and it's definently not that difficult to transition the story to live action. Of course the key really is who they get for the cast since that would pretty much make or break this. Certainly interesting though.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Finally... someone taking a shot at something that would be very plausible without the need for excessive special effects or CGI. I've only seen the anime, but Monster felt very 'real' compared to most other anime. This one could easily slide into live-action without looking cheesy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this will be motivation enough to get Viz to finish the DVDs for the anime. Cool

With that said, I can definitely see it working in live action very well. We just might finally have a decent American live action adaptation of an anime or manga...
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Maybe we will finally actually get the entire anime series over here. Anime hyper
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
This...This might be good, actually.

Viz, you know what to do.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
It would be great if this could prompt Viz to release the rest of the series! Why did they stop, anyways? Was it poor sales? I thought I had heard something about them not wanting to continue because of subject matter, but that strikes me as silly.

As for de Toro, he's a solid director that could do well with this, provided he has a good script to work with. So much of this boils down to screenplay and cast. They mention Johan being twelve---I wonder if this would only cover part of the story, or are they going to portray him as an adult as well? Very curious to see how it's done. The fact that it might be on HBO helps keep it from censorship due to senesitive topics, and if it's successful, perhaps we'll see more anime/manga adaptations in the west (I've always wondered what happened to that live-action Noir we were supposed to get).
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
The idea of a live-action TV series sounds way better than a couple of movies. I just hope they don't deviate much from the manga and add too much extra sex or violence for the hell of it, as HBO tends to do.
daichi383

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
The idea of a live-action TV series sounds way better than a couple of movies. I just hope they don't deviate much from the manga and add too much extra sex or violence for the hell of it, as HBO tends to do.

That's a given though. Even if we don't want it there's that supposed HBO executive that tells their talent to just randomly add sex scenes to episodes for no reason. I would love to be able to watch an HBO show with the family without awkward silences like this weeks episode of GoT Rolling Eyes

Seriously though, I'd be interested to see how they approach this. I would love for them to stick as close as possible to the basic plot but add stuff here and there to keep things fresh. I would love
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Maybe we will finally actually get the entire anime series over here. Anime hyper

Isn't it Anime cry ? I remember seeing it on tv a while back (I think it was Sy-Fy, not sure...) So I hope you're not talking about like the series not being here on dvd/blue ray or the manga not here or something 'cause that... that sucks...

Anyways, LOVED Monster Anime hyper ! One of my favs~

Definitely hope this happens 'cause it sounds awesome Smile !
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
^ The whole anime has been dubbed and was shown on SyFy (back when it was still SciFi). Viz only released one DVD volume before abruptly stopping.

roseversailles wrote:
It would be great if this could prompt Viz to release the rest of the series! Why did they stop, anyways? Was it poor sales? I thought I had heard something about them not wanting to continue because of subject matter, but that strikes me as silly.

It was lower-than-expected sales (not necessarily poor sales). It was at a time when Viz had very high standards and shows were pretty much required to sell as well as Bleach, Naruto, and Pokemon for them to be considered "acceptable".

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I hope this eventually leads to the rest of the Monster anime being released on DVD boxsets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4