• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Guillermo del Toro Develops Monster Manga as Possible HBO Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
^ The whole anime has been dubbed and was shown on SyFy (back when it was still SciFi). Viz only released one DVD volume before abruptly stopping.

roseversailles wrote:
It would be great if this could prompt Viz to release the rest of the series! Why did they stop, anyways? Was it poor sales? I thought I had heard something about them not wanting to continue because of subject matter, but that strikes me as silly.

It was lower-than-expected sales (not necessarily poor sales). It was at a time when Viz had very high standards and shows were forced to sell as well as Bleach, Naruto, and Pokemon for them to be considered "acceptable".

I'd heard that it actually was low sales and something about them overestimating how well it would sell at retail which resulted in them getting a lot of copies back. Don't really know for sure though. I've never really bought the whole "they expected everything to be a top seller thing" since they did finish releasing at least a couple of shows that they claimed didn't sell great. Of course Viz had been weird about physical releases till this year it seems so who knows? I do hope this spurs them to give it another shot though. If partially to silence the people still complaining about it some 3 years later.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
^ The whole anime has been dubbed and was shown on SyFy (back when it was still SciFi). Viz only released one DVD volume before abruptly stopping.

roseversailles wrote:
It would be great if this could prompt Viz to release the rest of the series! Why did they stop, anyways? Was it poor sales? I thought I had heard something about them not wanting to continue because of subject matter, but that strikes me as silly.

It was lower-than-expected sales (not necessarily poor sales). It was at a time when Viz had very high standards and shows were pretty much required to sell as well as Bleach, Naruto, and Pokemon for them to be considered "acceptable".

That makes sense. Still, I hope they weren't expecting to see it sell as well as Pokemon and Naruto! This doesn't have a built-in male child/teen demographic to sell to. It's like Death Note in that the pacing is different, the plot more cerebral (mindgames), and there isn't a great long-running shounen manga tie-in (well, arguably; Death Note WAS in Shounen Jump). It's more aimed at adults (seinen), right? That really shows questionable judgement on their behalf if they were expecting it to sell like hotcakes. A show like Nana wouldn't have many buyers (to my knowledge) because of the limited demographic; that didn't stop them from selling the whole series.

Oh Viz, can't you see people would like a full release? Rolling Eyes
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
My opinion on this, boiled down to its rawest essence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTZC-j48JWg&feature=youtu.be&t=4s
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
I hope this eventually leads to the rest of the Monster anime being released on DVD boxsets.

This. Definitely this.
Calibrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
The idea of a live-action TV series sounds way better than a couple of movies. I just hope they don't deviate much from the manga and add too much extra sex or violence for the hell of it, as HBO tends to do.

Of course they will. That said, when you think about it for being as mature as it was, Monster was pretty tame on "mature themes" other than Johan's wackiness. So gratuitous sex scenes and blood and guts will hardly feel out of place in this story.

That said, I really hope they stick to the setting and era - it played as much of a role to the story as any character did.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I approve of this, if it can get Monster more love and get some nice reprints of the manga, and maybe get the rest of the anime on DVD, more power to it!
ProsesRoses

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I've never read or watched the series, just a synopsis and that that it is a psychological thriller. And that it's good - so for the fans I hope they do this project and do it well. Del Toro is a great director/writer and HBO does great shows. So I have a feeling that the adaption will be well done.

The only thing that worries me is the casting. TV and films are notorious for WHITEWASHING.

Dr. Tenma is JAPANESE. And things will burn if they don't give this one hell of an opportunity to a male Asian actor to co-headline this TV series. There are plenty of white roles elsewhere in the show as it is set in Germany (they will probably change that to USA). I hope that the anime/manga community will stand up for this issue as they did for Akira (may it be forever in developmental hell until they cast asian actors). We don't need another Dragonball Evolution or Last Airbender. *shudders*
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
ProsesRoses wrote:
I've never read or watched the series, just a synopsis and that that it is a psychological thriller. And that it's good - so for the fans I hope they do this project and do it well. Del Toro is a great director/writer and HBO does great shows. So I have a feeling that the adaption will be well done.

The only thing that worries me is the casting. TV and films are notorious for WHITEWASHING.

Dr. Tenma is JAPANESE. And things will burn if they don't give this one hell of an opportunity to a male Asian actor to co-headline this TV series. There are plenty of white roles elsewhere in the show as it is set in Germany (they will probably change that to USA). I hope that the anime/manga community will stand up for this issue as they did for Akira (may it be forever in developmental hell until they cast asian actors). We don't need another Dragonball Evolution or Last Airbender. *shudders*

Ain't. Gonna. Happen.

At best we'll get an American protagonist in Germany with some translation convention (having everyone speak English but somehow conveying to the audience that everyone is in fact speaking German) thrown in.
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:

Ain't. Gonna. Happen.

At best we'll get an American protagonist in Germany with some translation convention (having everyone speak English but somehow conveying to the audience that everyone is in fact speaking German) thrown in.

This.

Of course I'd think we'd all prefer for a good japanese-american actor to get the role but Tenma's japanese nature was never really that essential to the story.
Calibrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
The story will HAVE to be set in Germany during the Cold War simply because of the situation the era creates on Johan's family. It would be pointlessly difficult to move it elsewhere just to make it more accessible. And...HBO shows have never really bothered to be as accessible as network television. They always do their shit proper, so I have faith in that.

Now, if Tenma is turned into an American character? Who cares. As long as characterization and story stays in-tact then there's no problem. People seem to assume that only Hollywood or American television changes people's nationalities. Dead f*cking wrong. Every country with a camera and budget and a desire to adapt something does it as well.
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
This sounds very promising, but I do hope they stay close to the plot and stay true to the characters (preferably Tenma stays Tenma).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
SwerveCity wrote:
Of course I'd think we'd all prefer for a good japanese-american actor to get the role but Tenma's japanese nature was never really that essential to the story.

I have to disagree with this. It was actually Tenma's lack of Japanese nature that was essential, in that he didn't quite fit in anywhere. If he's not Japanese, his tendency to be a loner (while simultaneously being socially popular) is just another trope we've seen countless times, instead of an essential part of his character which impacted the choices he made that brought him to Germany in the first place.

Anyway, this does sound kind of promising, since it sounds like he actually communicated directly with Urasawa to get his approval instead of just having his agents deal with his agents to strike a business deal. If that's so, maybe it's more motivation to get it done, instead of just queuing it into his long list of things to work on.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
With the right staff, I can definitely see this working as a tv series. My biggest fear is they'll change a bunch of stuff to make it more western. Kind of like what they're doing for the Noir TV series.
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I was JUST talking about this with my friend how well this would be for HBO. not only that but having Guillermo del Toro too!!!? Holy HELL. This would be amazing 0_0 (Sorry for fan spazing lol)
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting that this adaptation of the manga "Monster" is possibly going to be on HBO. They could do it on Syfy. They showed the anime version there. I also hope they don't decide to go overboard with the swearing like HBO has a tendency to do. I really don't think it's necessary. This'll be interesting to see,all right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4