• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cowboy Bebop sells 1 million units

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
V. Equinox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:23 am Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:
A milllion copies x $20.00 to $30.00 = about $25 Million net income for bandai over the years.

However, they don't get all that money even though we pay it out. Stores such as Suncoast that charge, say, $29, get a large chunk.
I don't know, but I'm guessing the companies only get about $10 per disc, before production costs. I'd definitely be curious to know!
Abel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bandai Entertainment announced today that home video sales for Shinichiro Watanabe’s ‘Cowboy Bebop’ has sold more than a million units in North America since its original home video debut, again raising the bar for anime series released on DVD. In addition, Bandai Entertainment is also set to release a definitive special edition titled, ‘Cowboy Bebop REMIX’ on September 13, 2005.

Now I am curious. Got Remix yesterday. Does the 1 million include how many copies retailers obtained of Remix as well?
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Abel wrote:
Quote:
Bandai Entertainment announced today that home video sales for Shinichiro Watanabe’s ‘Cowboy Bebop’ has sold more than a million units in North America since its original home video debut, again raising the bar for anime series released on DVD. In addition, Bandai Entertainment is also set to release a definitive special edition titled, ‘Cowboy Bebop REMIX’ on September 13, 2005.

Now I am curious. Got Remix yesterday. Does the 1 million include how many copies retailers obtained of Remix as well?

Hey, how did you get Remix so soon? I'm jealous! Sad

Tammy
vherub

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Remember this accounts for all 6 volumes, and probably the movie and best sessions release. If Bandai released a $40-5- set of the entire season, it could outperform mainstream dreck like deuce bigalow and such.
patch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
tlsmith1963 wrote:
Abel wrote:

Yes, please tell us Abel. Where'd you get the REMIX version?? Question
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Abel wrote:

I doubt it. I'm guessing they're counting sales to end-users only.
patch wrote:

You didn't think retailers would get it in the same day it hits the street did you? Or did you not know Abel was one?
Abel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:54 am Reply with quote
patch wrote:
tlsmith1963 wrote:
Abel wrote:

As Kazuki said, I'm a vendor so that is how I get certain releases early.

With my workload what it is right now, I am a bit behind on adding other titles but Cowboy Bebop Remix Vol. 1 is now available on the site. We'll probably be sold out in a couple of days though. -_-
B33

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to bandai... Cowboy Bebop is a very popular series in the U.S.. Glad it hit the 1 million marker... I would be curious how many other anime series/movies have reached this amount...

As someone mentioned earlier, the series was not that popular in Japan. Half of the series was deemed to "Mature" for regular television. So only half of the series(random episodes, not in order) was shown on regular TV in Japan. The whole series was released on DVD and aired late at night on a Japanese Satelite channel (it may have been WOWOW).
silentjay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote
B33 wrote:
As someone mentioned earlier, the series was not that popular in Japan. Half of the series was deemed to "Mature" for regular television. So only half of the series(random episodes, not in order) was shown on regular TV in Japan. The whole series was released on DVD and aired late at night on a Japanese Satelite channel (it may have been WOWOW).

It was aired after midnight on regular TV too, just not during the first run, and the whole 13 episodes on TV, 13 more episodes on DVD thing was a gimmick/experiment.

Also they were aired in order, just not in what we consider in order. ie. not 1,2,3... but, 2,3,7...

Edit: forgot about the 6pm run.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A small mistake creeped into the news last week, we accidentally stated that Bandai America Inc. (BAI) sent out a press release announcing 1 million units sold of Cowboy Bebop. The press release was actually sent out by Bandai Entertainment Inc. (BEI). BEI is a wholly-owned subsidiary of BAI, itself a wholly-owned subsidiary of Bandai Co. of Japan. Bandai Games Inc. is also a wholly-owned subsidiary of BAI.

Uh, small nitpick: Bandai Games has been an independant intity of BAI since March (or was that May). They are now a wholly owned subsidary of Bandai Co.
lantis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And how many title actually sold a million copies? DBZ? Yugioh? Not many, I can tell you that. A milllion copies x $20.00 to $30.00 = about $25 Million net income for bandai over the years.

I would guess for TV shows they would probably be:
Pokemon
YuGiOh
Dragonball Z
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Rurouni Kenshin
Inuyasha

There might be a few more but I need time to think about them
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:22 pm Reply with quote
KURIous wrote:

Uh, small nitpick: Bandai Games has been an independant intity of BAI since March (or was that May). They are now a wholly owned subsidary of Bandai Co.

Not according to their own website.
Bandai Games wrote:
Bandai Games Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Bandai America Incorporated
benbboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Remix sounds awesome...but i'm trying to hold out till they announce some sort of LE box set or something....the last perfect collection was great hopefully they'll do something similiar.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2