• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kitakubu Katsudō Kiroku Schoolgirl Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

So, I've been reiterating that a "show about nothing" can save itself through characters and themes. And nobody seems to pay attention when I cite Louie as a positive example of this. K-On is a prime example of bundled quirks planted in a show about nothing for the sake of making money and spawning derivative pieces. At least K-On had KyoAni's stimulus going for it.

<snipped>
Simply one of these pieces couldn't realistically sustain a good story on its own, the same way a story can't be sustained on Pathos, Ethos, or Logos alone.

K-ON had Pathos in some episodes. You can't tell me that the episode when Ui got sick and Yui had to actually do more things for herself, and realizing that people sometimes take for granted what it most precious to them wasn't emotionally moving. That episode also is where "U + Me" was written. Also that moment where Azusa pleads for her four sempais not to graduate.

There were also lots of small heartwarming moments as Mio slowly came more into her own, and where she finally let go of the serious facade during the Kyoto trip.

Again, there is no requirement of external forces needing to drive the story along(what we would call plot) for it to be good storytelling. It sounds like more like that you don't like the Slice of Life genre. And that comes down to a matter of personal taste.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

How do you feel about SHAFT?

What the hell does SHAFT have to do with what he's talking about?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
That episode also is where "U + Me" was written.

U+I
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

What the hell does SHAFT have to do with what he's talking about?

Do you know how they make their money?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

They animate things in exchange for money.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Citation where? I learned Plot, Character, and Theme as the primary building blocks for film and television in school. Louie isn't a sitcom. It's a black comedy about a comedian with a couple kids who encounters questions about life, society, and humanity in the day-to-day.

Like I said I've never watched Louie. Use an anime example. Also you have yet to establish why you don't think K-On qualifies

Quote:
Is learning about film in school harmful to my credibility?

Thats nice. Citations. Actually just provide actual [expletive] examples.

But you ASKED for a citation. I'm confused.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

They pander to the Otaku fanbase, while trying to be artistic as well. Trying to compromise between pure pandering and artistic ambition. They make a lot of money this way, therefore they'd be relevant to the discussion.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

Are you considering referring to Madoka Magica by any chance? If so, you'll need to consider that anyone would have been eager to fund it given the big names behind the concept.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

They pander to the Otaku fanbase, while trying to be artistic as well. Trying to compromise between pure pandering and artistic ambition. They make a lot of money this way, therefore they'd be relevant to the discussion.

Wait what?

Ok, you are either trolling or have no idea how anime production works.
zeo1fan

Parse Error wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Are you considering referring to Madoka Magica by any chance? If so, you'll need to consider that anyone would have been eager to fund it given the big names behind the concept.

No, no, no. I'm referring to fare like 'Ground Control To Psycho-electric Girl' or 'Sasami-San@Ganbaranai'. Madoka was great because Gen wasn't trying to pander to anyone, but we'll call that the exception for now. What are your thoughts on their balance between pandering and ambition?
Fencedude5609

Parse Error wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Madoka Magica is an interesting situation. It was quite a gamble, though one that did end up paying off nicely for everyone involved.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Parse Error wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

No, no, no. I'm referring to fare like 'Ground Control To Psycho-electric Girl' or 'Sasami-San@Ganbaranai'. Madoka was great because Gen wasn't trying to pander to anyone, but we'll call that the exception for now. What are your thoughts on their balance between pandering and ambition?

Sasami-San sold like crap, so otaku didn't like that one.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Parse Error wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Also saying Sasami-san wasn't thematically ambitious makes me wonder if he even watched it.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Wait what?

Ok, you are either trolling or have no idea how anime production works.

It seems like the conversation could be capped by a comment like that.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Parse Error wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Also saying Sasami-san wasn't thematically ambitious makes me wonder if he even watched it.

I didn't say it wasn't ambitious. Jesus. Laughing I'm basically having two different conversations here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9