• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Xbox's Next Generation to Be Revealed on May 21

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
By forcing them to remain online all the time solely because they want to extract as much money out of consumers as possible and punish them solely because some people pirate Xbox games.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
By forcing them to remain online all the time solely because they want to extract as much money out of consumers as possible and punish them solely because some people pirate Xbox games.

Pretty much this is the heart of it. Always on has absolutely no benefit to the consumer. I can accept that, to borrow Orth's stupid example, my vacuum won't work when the power goes out...because it wouldn't be able to work at all if it didn't require power. But always on is just a pure unnecessary hindrance to the consumer so the seller can try to control them. There's no excuse.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
The only problem here I see is that it could hurt used games and for those with crappy internet. But no one knows how the system works so I'm not sure how we can claim they violate anything.

My xbox is already online all the time regardless of what it does. I will see no difference at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

My xbox is already online all the time regardless of what it does. I will see no difference at all.

Not everyone has a reliable internet connection. My PS3 and Xbox 360 have randomly lost their connections at times for no apparent reason.

Also, remember that even if your internet works, things can go down on their side. Last week (2 weeks ago?) it suddenly went down for about an entire day with no warning. And then see all of the problems games like Diablo III and the new SimCity ran into at launch. The customers' internet connections were fine but the game companies couldn't hold up their end of the bargain.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Go ahead and look up SimCity and Diablo 3 "Error 37". Even if you have a 100% perfect internet connection, doesn't mean the actual game companies do. And the idea you need to rely on them to play single-player content is atrocious. Plus if those companies ever go under, you can say bye bye to that game you bought. Not to mention all those horror stories of people saying their saved games were deleted randomly by the server.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Go ahead and look up SimCity and Diablo 3 "Error 37". Even if you have a 100% perfect internet connection, doesn't mean the actual game companies do. And the idea you need to rely on them to play single-player content is atrocious. Plus if those companies ever go under, you can say bye bye to that game you bought. Not to mention all those horror stories of people saying their saved games were deleted randomly by the server.
The Sim City case you guys keep bringing up doesn't work. Thats not example of DRMM, thats an example of a users connecting to the game's servers and it being overwhelmed by how many users it has to work with. The Sim City servers are actually doing heavy calculations actual gameplay side. Like an mmo. XBL does not work like that.

Not every(some like EA games) online Xbox Live game has you connecting to some actual server to play online. Xbox Live is just the thing in between though. If you say play Battlefield 3, you're connecting to EA's servers. No MS or some sort of XBL server.

So question? When has Xbox Live gone down? I can't remember any actual noteworthy thing where XBL has actually gone down. No it seems to be able to handle it's userbase. Why would that change next gen? Would a DRMM checker really change anything?

So no the SIm City example doesn't actually work here.

Would having a system that keeps you from playing single player games suck? Yes, but no one knows how it works, so why do we keep jumping the gun. Seems like the smart thing would be for it to be like Steam where it's already registered you're legally bought game and you can play it offline. Everyone likes Steam now!

You're Company going out of bussniess thing makes no sense to me either because well what does that have to do with games on discs and MS already allows you to buy things you've bought online even if they aren't on the service anymore.

And saves being deleted? There's nothing out there about saves being server side only.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
The Sim City case you guys keep bringing up doesn't work. Thats not example of DRMM, thats an example of a users connecting to the game's servers and it being overwhelmed by how many users it has to work with. The Sim City servers are actually doing heavy calculations actual gameplay side. Like an mmo. XBL does not work like that.

This has been proven false. People were able to crack the game and make it work without the online connection by (I believe)changing a single line of code.

Here's a source
More

Quote:

So question? When has Xbox Live gone down? I can't remember any actual noteworthy thing where XBL has actually gone down.

It happened last [expletive] week.

Quote:

And saves being deleted? There's nothing out there about saves being server side only.

*points to SimCity again* I've seen complaints about saves being lost because of this specific issue.
Kastel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Buffering................................................................................................................................................

SimCity wo............................................................rks. I mean, it is

#*(@)!#*()&@(!)*#)@!$I%(

Data lost.
Error establishing connection to server.
Please try again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This has been proven false. People were able to crack the game and make it work without the online connection by (I believe)changing [b]a single line of code
Beyond the fact that the info could be made up and the fact the the ability to play offline dosen't negate what they said what the servers do. It also says that the servers in Sim City do handle players playing with each other. You are connecting to the Sim City server and playing through it with other people. At launch I guess they weren't able to handle that or their was some other mishap.

The point is, XBL does not work like that. You don't connect to some XBL server to play you're online game. MS does not host say CoD servers or Battlefield 3 servers. No when you play BF3 or other EA games you care connecting to EA and playing on their servers. XBL is just an in between service. So I'm not sure why XBL wouldn't be able to handle the stress if it already does. Would some ddrm checker really change something? Why, XBL already checks if your system is modded as it is. It's just under this supposedly "always online" this check would be mandatory to even I guess start the system or a game. Which would suck if there was no way to play a game offline, but we don't quite know the full details yet.

Quote:
working-on-the-problem/]It happened last [expletive] week.
Apparently this wasn't big enough for the bigger sites that people actually know to report on. Either way, it happens once in awhile. Oh no! Things go down from time to time, but as it is, XBL is pretty damn reliable and I'm not sure this ddrm thing would change that.

Quote:

*points to SimCity again* I've seen complaints about saves being lost because of this specific issue,
Ok, but Sim City isn't XBL. XBL already has cloud saves. Has there been a giant uproar about Cloudsaves being deleted? Does XBL delete hardware saves?
Kastel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Let's introduce the radical idea of being offline. Now what?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Beyond the fact that the info could be made up

Has yet to be proven false. Have a go at it if you want, it's not like this hasn't been widely reported.

Quote:
and the fact the the ability to play offline dosen't negate what they said what the servers do. It also says that the servers in Sim City do handle players playing with each other. You are connecting to the Sim City server and playing through it with other people. At launch I guess they weren't able to handle that or their was some other mishap.

The servers weren't doing what they claimed it did. If they can delete one goddamned line of code and the game still works, then the servers were no doing shit.

Quote:
Which would suck if there was no way to play a game offline,

Look at the words "always-online". Those words mean something. It may not mean literally "always" but at best, you can go a short period of time without being online (for Sim City, it was 20 minutes).

Quote:
but we don't quite know the full details yet.

We don't know the details yet. So what? That's why people are talking about how terrible it would be if it's true. If it's not, then great. I have little interest in Xbox myself as I basically only play JRPGs, but I sure hope Microsoft isn't dumb enough to actually do it. That's no reason not to talk about it now nor does it offer any sort of defense against it.

Quote:
Apparently this wasn't big enough for the bigger sites that people actually know to report on.

I'm so sorry you don't read widely-read news sites that aren't in the hands of companies to not report this kind of thing. It was down for basically an entire day, with no warning. That's kind of a big deal

Quote:

Either way, it happens once in awhile. Oh no! Things go down from time to time,

THAT'S THE ENTIRE GODDAMNED POINT. THIS SHIT HAPPENS. And its locks consumers out of using the products they bought for unnecessary reasons.

And you still haven't explained what people without reliable internet, or maybe without internet at all, are supposed to do. This is the main reason I would think Microsoft wouldn't be stupid enough to actually do this, but on the other hand, we've seen some game publishers already decide they don't care about that, so....
Kastel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
And you still haven't explained what people without reliable internet, or maybe without internet at all, are supposed to do.

......................................................... steal someone else's wi-fi?????
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
The only problem here I see is that it could hurt used games and for those with crappy internet.

If by "crappy" you mean goes out from time to time then yes...it will only be a problem for people with "crappy" internet. Which is 90% of all gamers.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
THAT'S THE ENTIRE GODDAMNED POINT. THIS SHIT HAPPENS. And its locks consumers out of using the products they bought for unnecessary reasons.

Precisely. The fundamental problem that apologists like RahXephon fail to address is that this is totally unnecessary. Even in the best case scenario where this only means a problem occasionally, it's still means we're sometimes getting locked out of using the games we payed for just so they can keep tabs on us.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
Kastel wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
And you still haven't explained what people without reliable internet, or maybe without internet at all, are supposed to do.

......................................................... steal someone else's wi-fi?????

............................ wasn't even going to comment on this but.....what???

i will say this though, while i do love my 360 to some extent,i always found microsoft's business model very shady (as i do many other companies) and never quite understood why the 360 does as well as it does ( besides the obvious it was cheaper than the ps3 at the time) and now microsoft comes up with this "always online crap" which is a total slap in the face to the consumers who put up with that crap. but you know what?they know that they can get away with it, due to the spineless people who they bully for their money,they know that they will bend over backwards for them like a blanket.we have no one else to blame for this atrocity but ourselves, for having supported them.

in short,"microsoft is not giving us the console the consumers want,they are giving us the console we deserve"
Wrathful

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:14 am Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
never quite understood why the 360 does as well as it does

Why do you think it sold well? Isn't it totally obvious, Microsoft was lucky that it had its own golden goose franchises they can milk over and over again for nearly a decade without drastically changing any game mechanics and have that same grey graphics.

I never really saw Microsoft as a game company. All along I thought they were posing xbox as a game console but really they wanted to intend it to be an entertainment console from the beginning. In the end they don't really care about the game integrity, just profits. And I guess some xbox gamers don't mind always online as long as they can play that multiplayer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3