• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Advent Children Delayed [2005-08-25]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:54 am Reply with quote
Here is the 1up article that cites the Electronic Gamng Monthly article.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143124

We should prob read the EGM issue for all the details.

It would also explain why we can't pre-order it at any other anime internet sites.
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:07 am Reply with quote
odango wrote:
So from a marketing point of vue it would be a bad idea and since the release date of KH2 is continually pushed back...

Believe me I'm not happy about it either, specially now that I know that I won't have Twilight Princess for 2005 (Ataru Note: Before April of 2006.) Sad

Don't jinx it. Razz

Need the less, what ever reason why they pushed it back 3 months. it must be a pretty darn good reason, like not enough motercycles for the Unlimte Edition for the US. Note: Pipe dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:09 am Reply with quote
The countdown was quite amazing at knowing this release was official. I wonder what went wrong. Will they change the countdown to around November?
dustopants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote
ah, geez... i'm going to have spent all my money on a 360 by then Anime hyper

damn... i'll just ask for it for xmas, hopefully my parents will get it for me, lol Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Just rent it. There's no point in owing it if it sucks, and it'll probably be at Blockbuster.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Here's one of the major problems with Advent Children: the lip movements are exactly synched to the Japanese dialogue. The director went out of his way to make the mouth movements extremely realistic for Japanese language, so the English dub is going to look really bizarre, like an old Godzilla movie.

I think the delay has something to do with that. And yes, Sony is about to lose a lot of money to fansubbers; I thought the simultaneous release strategy was a great way to deter fansubbing, but they kinda threw that out the window there.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Supposedly, SQ'ENIX is giving the film a theatrical release here-possibly for a Best Animated Film run-so if that's the case, they're probably building up anticipation for the dvd. I don't think dumping it straight-to-video next month will help their bottom line if they don't build up more hype and awareness for it. Anyway, if the downloaders like it, then everyone else will buy it. Especially because people will pick dvd quality and sub accuracy over crappy camcorder recordings most of the time. (Assuming the dvd actually includes the Japanese track and subtitles, not dubtitles...)
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:42 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Supposedly, SQ'ENIX is giving the film a theatrical release here-possibly for a Best Animated Film run-so if that's the case, they're probably building up anticipation for the dvd. I don't think dumping it straight-to-video next month will help their bottom line if they don't build up more hype and awareness for it. Anyway, if the downloaders like it, then everyone else will buy it. Especially because people will pick dvd quality and sub accuracy over crappy camcorder recordings most of the time. (Assuming the dvd actually includes the Japanese track and subtitles, not dubtitles...)
Whoa...! Theatrical release? I wonder how far this will go. Shocked
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:16 am Reply with quote
Well, just think about it--Sony proves themself stupid. They don't realize that they, by doing this, lost a LOT of sales. Now, many people that would have BOUGHT it to see it sooner will now download it cause it'll be out first (probably in the first week of being released in Japan).

And it really couldn't have been anything about the dub (god-forbid it) because the movie has been in development for years. Surely they could have gotten a copy of the final script and started early.

And the Last Order OVA will probably be availibe by Fansubers the day it comes out or the following...So I'm not quite worried about it.

My main argument is that this movie was stated for release...what...twice last year. Then we get promised a simultanious release (mistake...I think not...), but then they (Sony) say "Oh lets cash in on the Holiday cash."--like the fans wouldn't have bought it anyway...HA!

Jerks...
Demaar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:46 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'd agree with you normally, but this isn't a normal situation. The DVD is being released in Japan before the US release. That means a high quality encode with subtitles will probably go up a bit after that. Sure, the average Joe won't bother going to effort to get it... but how many average Joes do you think will be after a Japanese made movie based on an RPG?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Astray09

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
The short Last Order OAV will be included in the Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Ultimate Edition, which will retail for 29,500 yen (~US$270) and is to be released on September 14.

Correct me if I've read this wrong... But the Ultimate Edition of Final Fantasy 7: AC is gonna cost a whopping $270.00 dollars?!?! Do I get a special edition ff ps2 with it too? I'd better get something more then just 2 dvds for that cost. Shocked
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Astray09 wrote:
The short Last Order OAV will be included in the Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Ultimate Edition, which will retail for 29,500 yen (~US$270) and is to be released on September 14.

Correct me if I've read this wrong... But the Ultimate Edition of Final Fantasy 7: AC is gonna cost a whopping $270.00 dollars?!?! Do I get a special edition ff ps2 with it too? I'd better get something more then just 2 dvds for that cost. Shocked

So far they haven't announced a release outside of Japan so you may not even get that option. You DO get a lot more than just two DVDs. You get a Cloud wolf logo keychain, Cloud wolf logo T-shirt, Cloud wolf logo hat with canister, Cloud action figure with Fenrir bike (by Play Arts), a copy of FFVII for PSX, and (I think) a copy of the script (in Japanese). I may have missed or mixed up somehthing, but you do get your moneys worth. I'm doubtfull that a US release would be that extensive though, probably the DVD set and figure with bike (since they don't seem to be releasing the figure alone).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Tim333444 wrote:
According to the main fansite, Adventchildren.net, the delay is only rumor.

As I said in my e-mail,
tempest wrote:

A few things I'd like to note.

Square Enix DID announce a US date at E3, I have a
copy of the 1-sheet somewhere, perhaps a case of
micomunication within the company.

At this point it would be impossible for them to make
a September release because the DVD hasb't be
solicited yet, and the 4-week pre-order period of late
September orders closes tomorrow.

So while the article we sourced may have speculated
about the actual release date (something we didn't
repeat, because it was speculation), the fact that it
isn't going to make its originally announced date is
indisputable.

Now, in addition to the 1-sheet, we also have people who mentionned the NA website. I didn't see this for myself, but it sounds like SQ-Enix messed this up and is trying to pretend that it never happenned.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3