• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: MVM to Release ef: a tale of memories and ef: a tale of melodies

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TotalPotato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
Are you serious? First Bakemonogatari, and now ef: a tale of memories? Released here in the UK? Fantastic! Next thing I know, someone will announce a Toradora! boxset!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote
Well, MVM seem to be mining Hanabee's catalogue and that is one of their's...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I remember waiting for Toradora dubbed, then forgot about it for some reason, so what're the chances of a dubbed boxset over here then?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Dubbing only happens if the US in involved. There's not enough money in the UK market to pay for it - either someone in the US has to dub it (and NISA show no signs of starting to do that) or there have to be prospects of selling the dub to the US (and that ship has sailed for Toradora).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Yea we get these messages to support the UK industry but, once we discount mere licensing and distribution, there isn't an industry.

In America people can dream of dubbing anime as a career cause there's a real industry over there. Here... there isn't.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
People watch dubs???
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Yes.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
why?
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Well some of us find it distracting or difficult to read subs at the bottom of the screen, and the Japanese themselves get to listen anime in their own first language, not that of foreigners they can't understand.

Besides I know just a little Japanese, but its enough to realise that both official and unofficial subs can be as inaccurate as are dubs. There's no authenticity in subs, only the Japanese audio is the real deal and at least with dubs you get to hear it too.

I'm not one of those people who demonises fansubs but subs were only given such prestige over dubs to justify fansubbing. Plus without dubs anime licencing has no chance of ever becoming anything more than an extreme niche market outside Japan.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:47 am Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
Well some of us find it distracting or difficult to read subs at the bottom of the screen, and the Japanese themselves get to listen anime in their own first language, not that of foreigners they can't understand.

I can sum this up in a few words or one word and that being Laziness it’s not hard to train yourself to read subtitles. As for the whole “native language” argument is kind of weak as my native language is British English, from what I can remember most dubs keep the Japanese honorifics which sound either redundant or retarded in English, and the constant finding “O” sounds where there should be “A” sounds. As for understanding in 2013 It’s almost vital to have a second language so why not make it one that’s not local to you.

faintsmile1992 wrote:
Besides I know just a little Japanese, but its enough to realise that both official and unofficial subs can be as inaccurate as are dubs. There's no authenticity in subs, only the Japanese audio is the real deal and at least with dubs you get to hear it too.

In terms of accuracy of the subs the prosubs have no excuse that’s what we’re paying for FFS at least some fansub groups can admit they’re not sure about some words so you at least know not to take what’s being put in front of you as gospel in terms of plot. So if the prosubs are going to be bad then the dubs are going to be worse as you’ve also got to watch out for the odd mispronunciation along with the possible inaccurate translations. So if you want to get an accurate translation then learning a little of the Language+ subs is the best chance you have.

faintsmile1992 wrote:
I'm not one of those people who demonises fansubs but subs were only given such prestige over dubs to justify fansubbing. Plus without dubs anime licencing has no chance of ever becoming anything more than an extreme niche market outside Japan.

I would reply to this but it sounds too much like a strawman argument to me.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
faintsmile1992 wrote:

I can sum this up in a few words or one word and that being Laziness it’s not hard to train yourself to read subtitles.
Some of us have less than perfect vision and the subtitles being imposed on the screen without a black background (or something) can make reading them a bit distracting.

Though for many, many more people who prefer dubs, its more like they have no reason to bother when the dub is available.

Quote:
As for understanding in 2013 It’s almost vital to have a second language so why not make it one that’s not local to you.
News to me lol.

And I were learning Japanese to understand the original soundtrack then the big "why bother" crept in because most anime is actually dubbed anyway, then I just got bored and moved onto something else.

Quote:
So if the prosubs are going to be bad then the dubs are going to be worse as you’ve also got to watch out for the odd mispronunciation along with the possible inaccurate translations.
Why is it 'mispronunciation'? People pronounce things according to their own dialects, and FWIW accents are chosen during dubbing to reflect Japanese dialects (so an Osaka dialect becomes a Southron dialect). You seem to think the Japanese themselves have just one consistent set of sounds they never deviate from, or to expect voice actors to reflect that nonexistent conformity of pronunciation in dubs as though their own target audience is somehow unused to accents.

Quote:
So if you want to get an accurate translation then learning a little of the Language+ subs is the best chance you have.
Oh I agree with you about that, until you've learned the language so well you don't need the dubs anyway. Actually I'm sure everyone would because it's common sense. But you asked who still bothers with the dubs, and its obvious why people do. Its because most people honestly don't have the time to learn any Japanese nor do many people in this country seem to enjoy reading the subtitles to a foreign language soundtrack. If they did, world cinema would be more popular here - I mean France is just across the channel and people are oblivious to world-famous French cinema, they just watch filems they can listen in their own English language.

Quote:
faintsmile1992 wrote:

I would reply to this but it sounds too much like a strawman argument to me.
It's not supposed to be an argument though, its an observation about people who make certain arguments. And a statement of fact that dubs are the only reason for people to be interested in licensed anime, so they're not about to go anywhere, they're not going to stop dubbing licenses till they stop licensing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1