• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon Black & White Sell 1 Million Units in 1 Day

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Not really surprised by this news. Seriously, this seem like some kind of reboot for the whole series. You can basically look as this as a Poekmon Yellow/Red/Blue game...? Due to the fact your battling other Pokemons and don't even know what type they are. Smile

Can't wait until I buy all the things I want first! Then I'll save my money to buy Pokemon Black! Very Happy
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
*whistles*

Not a bad number at all. I'll bet every single purchase was well worth it to the purchaser too, I'm loving my copy of White so far. Playing at as I type actually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
And people say that Pokemon is dying. Laughing

The past two generations have been repetitive and tiring, but this one feels very refreshing because 100% of the Pokedex is brand-new Pokemon, the story has taken a much darker turn, and the gameplay has had some well-needed tweaks (like infared trading/battling on the go!).
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
And I happen to be one of those people who got it on the first day! Hooray! Very Happy And I am absolutely LOVING IT SO MUCH I CAN'T STAND IT!!!
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I've beaten the game (Elite 4 first round stuff, not 7 sages/National-dex stuff) within 14 hours. It was a great play; I noticed that Black/White were philosophical adaption, while D/P/Pt were more of a religious sense. I was surprised at the price to be honest, I was expecting it to be $40-$50, but it's actually $35. The first part (pre-National dex) is relatively easy, but when you go to the National-dex places, things are very challenging.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I worked the release day for the new games and I don't doubt the numbers. And silly management didn't think it was going to be a big deal and scheduled me to work the release all by myself...

I lost 5 years off my life that day, seriously. Crying or Very sad

On the bright side, I'm loving Pokemon White to death!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
On the bright side, I'm loving Pokemon White to death!

No, Black is better. Pokemon Black FTW!!
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I love the fact I contributed to that, yet my friend who put down $1 for a preorder months in advanced didn't since she has yet to pick up her copies. this is the second time I've one-upped her in something related to Pokemon after she was bragging about something related to it.
Mr Big200

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I also contributed as well man it was a mad house at the gamestop I went to lol but it was wroth it
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
And people say that Pokemon is dying. Laughing

The past two generations have been repetitive and tiring, but this one feels very refreshing because 100% of the Pokedex is brand-new Pokemon, the story has taken a much darker turn, and the gameplay has had some well-needed tweaks (like infared trading/battling on the go!).

repetitive yet somehow still enjoyable. Say what you want about the pokemon franchise but the handheld games have always been a hell of fun. Still waiting on my tax return to come in, but the second that drops into my bank account pokemon white will be among one of my first purchases.
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Haven't played a Pokemon game since Sapphire version...
(Which my brothers promptly plundered my favorite Kyogre and Blaziken out of, once I stopped playing Anime cry)

...After hearing all this, and hearing my brothers and cousin constantly talk about it, I'm thinking of picking the series back up though.

I also can definitely believe these numbers. I was in New York at Nintendo World on Saturday, and the line was insane. Sunday's line wasn't as bad, but it was pouring outside.
Glad to see Pokemon is enjoying another revival~
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
And people say that Pokemon is dying. :lol:

It's not that Poke'mon is dying, but eventually the series will hit it's zenith. Eventually, the author may hit (if he already hadn't hit) creative idea block and not be able to come up with new monsters after a while. Also, eventually Pok'emon will also have a series conclusion as well.

Also, the new generation is much different than the original Poke'mon generation. What kept the original generation interested in the game may not hold the interest the new generation and that in itself could present a challenge.

The author also has to be exceptionally wary of copyright infringements as well. Especially in Japan, where that is much more common.
JLightstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
I wonder if that number included all the preorders from retailers or if it reflects on physical sales on the day of the release. I bought both and playing black now.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:59 am Reply with quote
I got Black on the first day. I live like a block away from a Game Stop so it wasn't much of a hassle. After buying my mom a birthday card at Walgreens, I went a few doors down to Game Stop and bought right around when the store opened.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
I got Black on the first day. I live like a block away from a Game Stop so it wasn't much of a hassle. After buying my mom a birthday card at Walgreens, I went a few doors down to Game Stop and bought right around when the store opened.
Miss, I salute you, for I did almost the same thing (live down the block from GS, went there, got it with mom). Got both Black and White, with the awesome hardcover strategy guide that I simply HAD to have. Anime smile It's such a relief that this generation turned out to be so effing sweet (already sunk 25 hours into White!!!).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2