• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon Anime Delayed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:20 am Reply with quote
Ugh I hope it's not cancelled!
Blazaking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:20 am Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
Kinda figured it was delayed since there has been no PV or even character designs revealed for the show yet.

Exactly what I was thinking. A summer release seemed so unlikely with nothing at all shown even at this point.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:27 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
Quote:
"Not 2014. Perhaps."

What does that mean? It seems to contradict.
I believe that is a literal translation. Read it as " Perhaps not 2014." (perhaps later, or perhaps sooner.) like Winter of 2013. One could speculate that they have pinged the anxiety of fans to this "remake" and have had to stop production to pull the new design closer to original. But then we don't even know if they have started production as yet.

Winter of 2013 already passed, I believe. To my knowledge, "Winter" seasons are technically part of the new year.
The simple Japanese translation for what he said (possibly referring back to his mind set before he wrote it in English) was 「2014じゃない。かも。」 or 「多分。」 The "kamo" or "tabun" are practically a passive "No one has any way of knowing" thing.

This leads me to guess that he's suggesting it doesn't look like it'll be 2014, but he doesn't know for sure and it hasn't been decided yet. Whether or not he was thinking "before" or "after" 2014 as a more likely possibility is unclear.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Ugh I hope it's not cancelled!

I don't think business works that way. The anime announcement had a world press release and Sailor Moon is a rather important property, so...
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Toei's probably scared of competing with it's own Pretty Cure brand and is focusing on that right now. Don't really blame them.

New Sailor Moon will almost certainly run parallel to it regardless. Pretty Cure is too profitable for Toei to quit making it.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Toei's probably scared of competing with it's own Pretty Cure brand and is focusing on that right now. Don't really blame them.

New Sailor Moon will almost certainly run parallel to it regardless. Pretty Cure is too profitable for Toei to quit making it.

I imagine the new Sailor Moon will be a 24-26 episode late night anime instead of trying to compete with Precure for the kids audience, anyway.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
Really? Why in the world would they do that? There's room for more than one kid's show at a time. Shonen anime proves this all the time.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Really? Why in the world would they do that?

Didn't they say it was being aimed at older and more nostalgic audiences? Those people aren't watching 9 AM Sunday morning cartoons. Those audiences also aren't buying toys, which is how you support a daytime show. They'll be buying DVDs.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
Hmm. I don't remember that from the announcement at all.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
GWOtaku wrote:

Didn't they say it was being aimed at older and more nostalgic audiences? Those people aren't watching 9 AM Sunday morning cartoons. Those audiences also aren't buying toys, which is how you support a daytime show. They'll be buying DVDs.

Exactly. They aren't trying to cater to the younger audience.

Regarding the article: I'm not surprised. I just really hope it isn't delayed to 2014. I wouldn't mind a winter 2013 release. They've had over a year; why would it take them two years if it does end up being delayed to 2014?
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
I mentioned that this was rumored in the other topic, but I guess no one noticed. Here's confirmation and it stinks! Especially since I'll be super busy in the fall, but I'll do my best to be on track with the show... Well, at least the summer has Rozen Maiden and Neptune for me!
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
GWOtaku wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

I imagine the new Sailor Moon will be a 24-26 episode late night anime instead of trying to compete with Precure for the kids audience, anyway.

They wouldn't quit making it anyway. Precure has a long future ahead of it.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-01-26/precure-producer/precure-is-still-just-10-years-old
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
Sigh a whole year waiting for this and now waiting even longer dont tell me that there waiting to the release of the short stores manga to be released in the US before they put this out
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
GWOtaku wrote:

Exactly. They aren't trying to cater to the younger audience.

Regarding the article: I'm not surprised. I just really hope it isn't delayed to 2014. I wouldn't mind a winter 2013 release. They've had over a year; why would it take them two years if it does end up being delayed to 2014?

I think Kotono Mitsuishi said it was going to nail everyone. Sailor Moon is edgy, but accessible.
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:08 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
GWOtaku wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

That makes the most sense. This anime is supposed to adapt the original manga as faithfully as possible, and the original manga had some pretty heavy violence and adult themes. The only way to faithfully adapt the manga without heavy changes for content purposes is to air it late at night.

Last edited by CCharmanderK on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9