• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon Anime Delayed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

If Toei is smart, they'd use this extra time to finalize deals with international TV networks, so by the time it airs in Japan, it'd also be ready sooner on the global stage. Like DBZ, SM is one of those few anime that was actually an international TV phenomenon that people remember.

Which is why I hope the new Sailor Moon has at least 50 episodes so they can put this on a broader cable channel like Nickelodeon and get fresh new viewers beyond just the nostalgic ones for their first magical girl fix.

(though in the back of my mind, I wished Heartcatch Precure was localized so more girls can experience how you can be pretty and badass at the same time Cool )

Considering the new anime is supposed to be adapted closer to the manga version I don't think putting it on Nick is a good idea lol.

Who said it's being adapted closer to the manga, exactly? And who says it won't catch people beyond nostalgia?
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
How about this? I say the BONES staff who worked on Ouran, Soul Eater, and Star Driver will be the ones doing the animation thus upping the FABULOUS without needing Ikuhara! Surprised

It's fun to dream.

I dunno, a good amount of that studio's staff used to work on the original anime and some of them are not very well liked such as animator Masahiro Ando, who worked on a few episodes (as seen here), and Takuya Igarashi, who directed all of Sailor Stars after Ikuhara left (and I know I'm in the minority but that season is not one of my favorites).
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
The best would be if by "Simultaneous worldwide release" they do mean TV here, and it comes on Nickelodeon back-to-back with Book 2 of Legend of Korra (which is on in November, I heard).

Hey, if it is in Fall, that could be a possibility?
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
LavenderMintRose wrote:
The best would be if by "Simultaneous worldwide release" they do mean TV here, and it comes on Nickelodeon back-to-back with Book 2 of Legend of Korra (which is on in November, I heard).

They wouldn't put it on TV in Japanese with subtitles. It would be online. A company would have to license, dub, and put the series on TV and that could only happen after enough episodes had already aired; considering its potentially edgy content, Sailor Moon would likely be a better fit for Toonami than Nick.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
GWOtaku wrote:
Really? Why in the world would they do that?

Didn't they say it was being aimed at older and more nostalgic audiences? Those people aren't watching 9 AM Sunday morning cartoons. Those audiences also aren't buying toys, which is how you support a daytime show. They'll be buying DVDs.

That is a rumor, and only a rumor. They have not confirmed anything about the new anime, as far as target demographics go. They'd be stupid to aim at that demographic, since such efforts usually fail (look at Slayers REvolution-R. Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon was kind of a half-example. Both had mediocre ratings in Japan after a few episodes).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Typical Toei. They're taking their time so it can be as bad as they can get it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
GWOtaku wrote:
Really? Why in the world would they do that?

Didn't they say it was being aimed at older and more nostalgic audiences? Those people aren't watching 9 AM Sunday morning cartoons. Those audiences also aren't buying toys, which is how you support a daytime show. They'll be buying DVDs.

That is a rumor, and only a rumor. They have not confirmed anything about the new anime, as far as target demographics go. They'd be stupid to aim at that demographic, since such efforts usually fail (look at Slayers REvolution-R. Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon was kind of a half-example. Both had mediocre ratings in Japan after a few episodes).

*Evolution-R. And the new Slayers series didn't financially fail because they aimed for nostalgia. They financially failed because they flanderized the characters, brought in a Mary Sue (Pokota) and didn't significantly build on the Slayers universe.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I think a potential problem is that Toei Animation--who already have most of its resources tied up in Doki Doki! Precure and One Piece TV production right now--may want to wait until it has enough animators to actually start work on the new Sailor Moon project, which I think will be a one-season project based on the manga storyline version of the first season story arc.

This is unless Toei is willing to do a co-production with another major animation studio in Japan, a South Korean animation studio, or (not a far-fetched idea!) an animation studio in France or even the USA.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Sacto0562 wrote:
I think a potential problem is that Toei Animation--who already have most of its resources tied up in Doki Doki! Precure and One Piece TV production right now--may want to wait until it has enough animators to actually start work on the new Sailor Moon project, which I think will be a one-season project based on the manga storyline version of the first season story arc.

They've got Toriko (which is a 100+ episode series) and Saint Seiya Omega(which is a 50+ episode series) currently airing as well. They've got a lot of major projects going on at once.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
^ They also have Saint Seiya Omega as well, which had just hit it's second year.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Sacto0562 wrote:

This is unless Toei is willing to do a co-production with another major animation studio in Japan, a South Korean animation studio, or (not a far-fetched idea!) an animation studio in France or even the USA.

Do you have official confirmation that it'll be a one-season project? It seems like most people are assuming that Toei just wants to animate the manga rather than adapt and expand on the manga's arcs again. Confused
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

Do you have official confirmation that it'll be a one-season project? It seems like most people are assuming that Toei just wants to animate the manga rather than adapt and expand on the manga's arcs again. Confused

All of that information was pulled straight out of his ass.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:34 am Reply with quote
Im really sad now. It sucks to be told at the last minute that you have to wait even longer. Makes me not even care whether it happens anymore.
Lanisatu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quote
GordanHam wrote:
Just wondering, has there actually been confirmation that Toei is the studio handling animation? I can't seem to find it pointed out anywhere.....

I believe this was in a press release, or confirmed by Toei. I'll have to look around for that. The original press release about the new anime did not mention Toei and it was announced by Kodansha: http://kc.kodansha.co.jp/SEP/01033/01/sailormoon20th/

Toei also still has rights to Sailor Moon. It would be very unlikely to change animation studios.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Fumio Osano said the new series will be aimed at old AND new fans: https://twitter.com/osabu8/status/301346014139412480

Anyone saying it's only for a nostalgic audience and claiming Fumio Osano is their source has likely misinterpreted or missed a part of that tweet. Also, the rumour of the story being true to the manga - just a rumour. I have not seen that confirmed anywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:34 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
LavenderMintRose wrote:

They wouldn't put it on TV in Japanese with subtitles. It would be online. A company would have to license, dub, and put the series on TV and that could only happen after enough episodes had already aired; considering its potentially edgy content, Sailor Moon would likely be a better fit for Toonami than Nick.

It could be possible that Toei is working behind the scenes with some international companies for them to start their dubbing as soon as Toei does their VA. And it would be license before the episodes even air like on some occasions. Maybe Nick would edit some stuff out or change if deemed a bit too much, I suppose. But this is just a low possibility and not likely to happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9