• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon Anime Delayed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
Just pointing out to the people who have said it should be on Nickelodeon...

This is a horrible idea.

Nickelodeon requires that their shows be 20-episode seasons. And those seasons get split into two parts. You want longer than 20 episodes? You have to do 2 seasons. And if it's not making huge money for Nick? Then they move it around on the schedule with no warning, pre-empt it with no warning, and do no advertising.

We're on year 3 of having to deal with this with Nickelodeon, and Saban has apparently been quite forthcoming with the contract details to the Power Force members, who have passed it on to us.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
Seems to me like some would like it to be on Nickelodeon for the exposure. Being on Nick would have the highest chance to make it popular like it was back then. But I'm not sure Nick would be a good choice, like you said, it might not be as popular as Nick wants, so gets the back burner. And then those season rules.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Just pointing out to the people who have said it should be on Nickelodeon...

This is a horrible idea.

Nickelodeon requires that their shows be 20-episode seasons. And those seasons get split into two parts. You want longer than 20 episodes? You have to do 2 seasons. And if it's not making huge money for Nick? Then they move it around on the schedule with no warning, pre-empt it with no warning, and do no advertising.

We're on year 3 of having to deal with this with Nickelodeon, and Saban has apparently been quite forthcoming with the contract details to the Power Force members, who have passed it on to us.

That's Power Rangers though, there's also the recent Digimon series that Saban has now and they haven't said anything about splitting that up the same way.

As for the contract details, do you have a source? That has been spread around a lot on Rangerboard lately but nobody has said where they got that info from so if there's any website or podcast that has these details then please do share.

As for New Sailor Moon, there's also Nicktoons which as far as I know, didn't have the same issue when it aired DBZ Kai.
Lanisatu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
I think Nickelodeon is an unlikely network choice for airing either the old or new Sailor Moon series.

According to Moon Chase's "Operation Moonrise" survey results from 2009, Cartoon Network would be a better choice for exposure in the USA (followed closely by Syfy): http://www.saveoursailors.org/survey2009/phase3.html#q14

Nickelodeon is on the graph too, if you want to compare numbers.

And yes, I'm aware numbers could be different today.

The company that ends up licensing either/both versions for North America will probably hand-pick a few stations they want to promote Sailor Moon to, and then shop it around if their favourite(s) say no. I believe this is how Fullmetal Alchemist ended up on YTV instead of Teletoon in Canada (pepperidge would know more about this).

In Canada, it seems a lot of people would like to see Sailor Moon on Teletoon (more popular for cartoons in general - although they are hesitant to air anime). After that are a couple of premium channels (could be iffy for exposure) and then SPACE.

Many countries around the world have opted to put the old Sailor Moon on a premium station, which isn't as good for exposure because those have less subscribers. In my experience, people aren't likely to subscribe to an extra station for ONE series they like. For a new series, if it manages to get aired on TV, a more mainstream station would give the most exposure, especially if it's a station that airs a variety of other anime.

But we really don't know if it will end up on TV in Canada or the US at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Lanisatu wrote:
I think Nickelodeon is an unlikely network choice for airing either the old or new Sailor Moon series.

According to Moon Chase's "Operation Moonrise" survey results from 2009, Cartoon Network would be a better choice for exposure in the USA (followed closely by Syfy): http://www.saveoursailors.org/survey2009/phase3.html#q14

Nickelodeon is on the graph too, if you want to compare numbers.

And yes, I'm aware numbers could be different today.

Those survey results are from fans, or at least people who are interested in the show. They would likely watch the show regardless of what channel it would be on, so they probably aren't the best gauge of what would be the best exposure for the show. Really, the idea of broader exposure is to not only bring in existing fans but pull in new ones as well.
Lanisatu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Those survey results are from fans, or at least people who are interested in the show. They would likely watch the show regardless of what channel it would be on, so they probably aren't the best gauge of what would be the best exposure for the show. Really, the idea of broader exposure is to not only bring in existing fans but pull in new ones as well.

The fact that survey respondents were fans does not make the results irrelevant.

Assuming fans will watch regardless of the channel is also not entirely true, nor does that have anything to do with my point.

Premium channels tend to be bad for attracting a new audience because they have less subscribers overall and rely too much on an assumption that the fans will follow it anyway. Possible new fans are far less likely to stumble across the show to see if they might like it.

As I said at the end of my previous post, a mainstream station would be better for exposure. That applies to not only existing fans, but new viewers as well. Cartoon Network is generally more popular in the US, so people are likely going to expect it there and it would get better exposure to people who like anime and/or other animated content.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kayori1928

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
NOOOOOO!

I was looking forward to this so much Sad
GordanHam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Just throwing my two cents in...

I totally want to see it on Nick.
Nick by far has the best re-run process.
When they got Kai, it was like two eps a week, then re-runs on Nicktoons like every weekday. Just like back in the good ol' toonami days when they actually were reaching their target audience, not 1 AM stoners.

And Idk what American company will get it, but I think if Saban does, it is pretty safe to say Nick is a good choice. They have other Toei(company) properties like Power Rangers (Saban), Dragon Ball, Voltron, and Digimon(Saban) soon.

There is also the rumors that Saban might already have Pretty Cure.
Also, it wouldn't be the first time Nick took a chance on more girly, fantasy shows. I think just last year they really had a big push for the old 4kids "Winx" show. I don't think it turned out well, but they did show interest.

And I definitely think the Korra audience will crossover with the Sailor Moon audience ridiculously well. Besides the tumblr-verse and other internet-verses already proving this cross in fandom, a lot of the Korra staff are big fans of Sailor Moon already.

Well that's it.
Still, best case scenario, Toei isn't even involved. I seriously would love for any other company to handle the show's production.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Lanisatu wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

The fact that survey respondents were fans does not make the results irrelevant.

As I said at the end of my previous post, a mainstream station would be better for exposure. That applies to not only existing fans, but new viewers as well. Cartoon Network is generally more popular in the US, so people are likely going to expect it there and it would get better exposure to people who like anime and/or other animated content.

I didn't say it made then irrelevant, however, Cartoon Network is not likely to base any decisions based on a very tiny subset, of a very tiny subset of television viewers. I doubt many fans would skip watching Sailor Moon just because, for instance, it aired on Nickelodeon or NickToons instead of Cartoon Network.

Also, though Cartoon Network is more popular with the anime fans you surveyed, it doesn't mean that's true for Americans in general. In fact, Nickelodeon, even with recent ratings declines, has been one of the most popular networks in cable history and it still one of the top rated. Even with recent successes like Clone Wars and Adventure Time, Cartoon Network is still far behind them and Disney in the ratings.

Also, a surgery of slightly over 500 anime fans is not indicative of the US population as a whole. It may not even be the consensus of anime fans in general. Unless they performed the necessary research and mathematical equations to apply these numbers to a larger group, which judging by the questions asked, the likely didn't, then these survey results are going to be pretty much useless to CN, Nickelodeon, and whatever companies would be shopping the show around.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Just throwing a hypothetical in. If it was a closer adaptation of the manga then putting it on nick would be very bad in terms of censorship. A major plot-point of the backstory involves Princess Beryl stabbing Endymion, then Serenity taking her own life through stabbing, and then Sailor Venus stabbing Beryl. And near the end of the first arc, Sailor Moon slashes Endymion across the chest and stabs herself and all of the Guardians die, having given up their lives to reach Usagi. There wouldn't really be any way to censor those events and have the story still make sense; the manga has notably more mature content than the original anime. Sailor Moon is better off on Toonami where it won't be censored (plus, censorship is still a sore point with a number of fans of the first anime; really wanna open that can of worms again?). Do you know how many DBZ fans thought the censored version of Kai on Nick was the ONLY version of Kai? Anime hyper Sailor Moon shouldn't be underestimated on its (perhaps) softening cosmetics.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Cartoon Network of 2009, and Cartoon Network of now are slightly different.

For instance, when was the last time you saw an action show later than Noon, instead of their 72-hour Johnny Test marathons?
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

For instance, when was the last time you saw an action show later than Noon, instead of their 72-hour Johnny Test marathons?

Cept Toonami is on [Adult Swim] swim now, so there wouldn't be as many edits to it. And they really don't play Johnny Test marathons that much anymore, they are to busy with Adventure Time Marathons which are a much better use of their time and bring in better ratings then Test Anime hyper.
Lanisatu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I doubt many fans would skip watching Sailor Moon just because, for instance, it aired on Nickelodeon or NickToons instead of Cartoon Network.

I never said that. Nickelodeon has aired Sailor Moon in other countries, and would be a far better choice than a premium network in terms of exposure. However, Cartoon Network also aired it previously in the US, so they are likely to be one of the first networks considered if it gets re-aired or the new anime is available to be aired on TV in the US.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
Also, though Cartoon Network is more popular with the anime fans you surveyed, it doesn't mean that's true for Americans in general. In fact, Nickelodeon, even with recent ratings declines, has been one of the most popular networks in cable history and it still one of the top rated. Even with recent successes like Clone Wars and Adventure Time, Cartoon Network is still far behind them and Disney in the ratings.

Do you have stats that prove Cartoon Network is less popular? And are they broken down by age groups?

I do not expect any network quite honestly to base their decisions on a small survey conducted quite a few years ago. But actually, yes companies that have seen the survey results have found them helpful. I've even heard Funimation representatives encourage people to do surveys and send them the data.

I would expect more research by networks/licensers to expand on those results and see what is true for their demographics at the present time. Those survey results are a starting point only, which can lead to more research.

Also, with how long the negotiations have been going for the previous version of Sailor Moon, I suspect there will be preference given to a broadcaster who would agree to not make cuts to the series.

Nickelodeon made aggressive edits to DBZ Kai, and most of the anime they've aired was for a very young audience, so Sailor Moon would stick out. While Sailor Moon is supposed to have a somewhat young demographic, it shouldn't be marketed as TV-Y7. I'm aware that Cartoon Network has also edited shows in the past, but they have more options to avoid that from what I've seen of the station.

Edit:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

Cept Toonami is on [Adult Swim] swim now, so there wouldn't be as many edits to it.

Yes, the year is different, so a larger survey would need to be conducted by whichever companies are interested/involved to see how results would be affected by time and a larger survey sample. But I think the point about less edits is worth considering too.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
GordanHam wrote:
And Idk what American company will get it, but I think if Saban does, it is pretty safe to say Nick is a good choice. They have other Toei(company) properties like Power Rangers (Saban), Dragon Ball, Voltron, and Digimon(Saban) soon.

If you're talking about Voltron Force then that had nothing to do with Toei. They only produced the original 80s shows.

Quote:
There is also the rumors that Saban might already have Pretty Cure.

Which have yet to be proven other than their show's description which supposedly matches Smile Precure.

Quote:
Also, it wouldn't be the first time Nick took a chance on more girly, fantasy shows. I think just last year they really had a big push for the old 4kids "Winx" show. I don't think it turned out well, but they did show interest.

Nick still has the license to that and other than dubbing what 4Kids didn't dub (and some of what they did), they have been co-producing the show's newest seasons.

zeo1fan wrote:
Just throwing a hypothetical in. If it was a closer adaptation of the manga then putting it on nick would be very bad in terms of censorship.

*spoilers*

Who cares? If an American company (not named Saban Brands) was to get it then there are DVDs (& BDs if produced in HD) that people can buy here to see all of that.

Quote:
Sailor Moon is better off on Toonami where it won't be censored (plus, censorship is still a sore point with a number of fans of the first anime; really wanna open that can of worms again?).

Except Toonami, in comparison, will have a lot less viewers since not everyone will be able to or even want to stay up until 1 or 2 in the morning to see one episode every week.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Damn, one less summer anime to watch for me this year. Well, at least the quality will be better, hopefully.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9