• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Biggest Crybaby Heroes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Este wrote:
Saya Otonashi from Blood+ is the biggest crybaby for my taste. I hated her.

I was about to post this, Jesus Christ she whines a lot.

Casshern should also be on this list.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
When I saw this list, I thought "If Shinji isn't number one, this whole site loses all credibility to me."

I was not disappointed.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Shinji is one of those characters that I've always had a soft spot for. In the TV series, he never struck me as 'emo' but rather a really scared, lonely, confused kid who witnessed the death of his mother and then had his father leave him shortly after. Can't really blame him for being withdrawn or not knowing how to deal with people very well. Hell, there were even times when he did try to be more take charge, only to have it blow up in his face. (ie; Going in all guns blazing trying to fight Leliel, only to get swallowed up, almost dying and having the Angel trying to psychologically analyze him. Or fighting Zeruel where the Eva loses all power, goes berserk, and he ends up losing his physical form. Oh, and then goes through some psychological trauma. Again.) If he needs to have a cry and a mope, he's more than entitled to it. The only time his passiveness got on my nerves was in EoE where Misato was literally having to drag him around, but it was still understandable why he was in such a state.
Even though I knew Shinji would be on this list, Usagi was my immediate pick. In the first two seasons, the things that she would cry over were actually quite funny because they were so minor. But I don't really remember her crying much at all starting around the end of Sailor Moon R. It seems like in S, SuperS and Stars she had grown a bit of a thicker skin.
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
There would have been something seriously wrong if Madoka hadn't made this list.

Also, pretty much everyone in Anohana cries too much. It's got weepy subject matter but a lot of scenes would be improved if the characters showed more restraint.
immortal1982

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Jacuzzi Splot from Baccano! didn't make it. Great character in a show full of them and his reasoning for being the crybaby is unique and yet badass.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh that C-Ko and Usagi, blubbering away at everything. XD

That gentle giant list doesn't have a very diverse set of choices, plus when one says giant, I assume you would mean someone outlandishly larger than the rest of the cast. A lot of the choices on that list don't really fit the idea of gentle giant at all.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

That gentle giant list doesn't have a very diverse set of choices, plus when one says giant, I assume you would mean someone outlandishly larger than the rest of the cast. A lot of the choices on that list don't really fit the idea of gentle giant at all.

I would have picked Kenshin's Fuji as my top choice in a poll of giant long-haired pretty boys(the arse-kicking of which will solve most anime problems) if there was such a poll.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

She's a crybaby through sheer, unadulterated and, well, warrented terror.

Oh yes, there's no question that the crying in Alien Nine is 100% justified and the comparison between Otani and Shinji is an interesting one. They're both thrust into situations against their will which would destroy most people psychologically and they both come from families that are dysfunctional to say the least. I suppose I don't dislike Shinji as much as some fans, but I agree that Otani ends up being much more of a sympathetic character. She endures, while Shinji waffles.

In any event, I'm always glad to run across other Alien Nine fans. It's one of the more underrated shows out there.

I too am an Alien Nine fan, the manga more so than the anime since it continues off from the anime's depressingly empty stopping point. Having said that, the problem I have with Otani is that--It's one thing if she's too scared to work cooperatively with her teammates on the missions, but just shutting her eyes instead of at least trying to save her own life when cornered, it's hard for me to keep sympathizing with rooting for her as the main protagonist during those moments. She may endure, but that's almost literally all she does.

As for Shinji, he's a 14-year-old suffering from combined depression and abandonment, and naturally he would be selfish. It may be hard to root for someone like him when he's not being the usual macho classic hero (geez, how old is this argument?), but I just simply see his behavior and decisions as realistic due to his personal circumstances. Yet despite all that, he technically tried and actually achieved far more accomplishments and victories than Otani ever did.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorta sad that Usagi is on this list because she's not a huge crybaby in the manga like she is in the anime. When she cries in the manga it's for good reason. That's why I like manga!Usagi better.

As for Shinji, I understand why he cries so much so I can't hold it against him. Man, that kid's got a messed up life lol.

As for Madoka, I just got sick of her crying. 10 whole episodes of her crying and being useless just killed me really.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
This list needs more Crying Freeman. Or heck, even Kenshiro. Out of all the tears shed on this list, NONE of them were manly tears.

And that's terrible. Confused
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Shinji Ikari, the Holden Caulfield of anime. Although, Shinji is ACTUALLY sympathetic as opposed to Holden who becomes insufferable way too fast.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Shinji Ikari, the Holden Caulfield of anime. Although, Shinji is ACTUALLY sympathetic as opposed to Holden who becomes insufferable way too fast.

Nah, Shinji actually has REAL GODDAMN PROBLEMS, like eldritch abominations threatening doom upon the entire world among everything else. Kasuga from Aku no Hana is now the perfect Holden Caulfield, the same pretentious, self-righteous, self-important air, where you just want to really hit him.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I actually think Lag Seeing from Letter Bee might have been a good number 1 spot... yes, above Shinji even. Given he's absent from the list entirely, I'm guessing Lynzee has never seen the show. It's a pretty good watch, despite Lag being annoying at times.
albanian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I actually think Lag Seeing from Letter Bee might have been a good number 1 spot...

I hope my memory hasn't completely failed me, but I do seem to remember reading somewhere that the name 'Lag' was meant to refer to lachrimae, the Latin for 'tears', to indicate his propensity for shedding so many of them!
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
What about kid Gohan from DBZ, he was certainly a crybaby until Piccolo toughen him up that is. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7