• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Biggest Crybaby Heroes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
+1 for Jacuzzi Splot, considering that crying is pretty-much his whole schtick.

I was expecting to see Vash the Stampede on the list (in a good way). They could have used the picture of him crying and eating donuts at the same time.
TG72

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
albanian wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I actually think Lag Seeing from Letter Bee might have been a good number 1 spot...

I hope my memory hasn't completely failed me, but I do seem to remember reading somewhere that the name 'Lag' was meant to refer to lachrimae, the Latin for 'tears', to indicate his propensity for shedding so many of them!

You're right but I think his name came directly from the Spanish 'lagrima'.

If Shinji is#1, Lag has to be 1A. He turns on the waterworks at least twice per episode.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Gentle giant? Since he's from my favorite anime (Patlabor), I'd probably nominate Yamazaki Hiromi. His job is merely to drive the Patlabor transport truck. When he's not doing that, he's raising chickens, growing tomatoes, and trying to help wayward whales.

He was also reasonably effective when using an anti-labor rifle in either Patlabor 1 or 2 film. ^^
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Agree about Lag Seeing from Letter Bee. IIRC, in the first season he cries in every episode except one. And multiple times in most episodes.

As for the poll, it was hard to decide! I really love love Millie and Al, but went with Jinenji of Inuyasha as he is actually giant and all he wants to do is get along with the hateful villagers.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Shinji Ikari is not a crybaby. At all. Even the slightest.

Sure, he cries. But look at his life. You would cry too, if it happened to you.

Picking Shinji for this list is such low-hanging fruit from people who refuse to recognize more than the superficial aspects of a show. It's a little more than a tired meme that "Shinji is a pussy, lol". How about actually watching the show and paying attention? He's not crying because his ice cream cone fell out of his hands onto the ground, he's crying because horrible, horrible things are happening to him, constantly.

I like how it's acknowledged how terrible his existence is and yet he's still number one on the list. Totally not a contradiction.

I have a big "eff you" to the people who INSIST Shinji is a "crybaby". Your comprehension level is zero. Go watch something more your speed, like Jewelpet.

A crybaby cries excessively for silly reasons. Shinji has good reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
roseversailles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I never thought of Sakura as a crybaby. She was such a spirited, cheery young girl that chanted "I'll definitely be alright!" so it's hard for me to place her on the same list as Shinji. Honestly, the most irritating crybaby for me would have to be a toss-up between Shinji and Madoka (Usagi *does* toughen up later on).

Good lord, is Shinji annoying. Yes, his life sucks, but he spends so much time moping about it instead of *gasp* actively doing something to change his circumstances that he became loathesome. Asuka had an equally awful past, and yet she still struggled to move past that and become different; whether it did her any good or not is another matter. I get why there's hate for Shinji. Still, when I really think about it, I wouldn't classify him as emo. He does have a set of terrible circumstances, and I can't say I would've fared much better when I was his age.

Madoka cries and fails to do anything for roughly ten episodes, almost inadvertently kills her best friend, and watches as terrible things happen around her from the sidelines. End of story. (and for the record, I don't dislike this character)

The one crybaby absent that I would've added is Albert from Gankustuou. He's certainly more of a whiner than Sakura. Such a whiney, oblivious, useless character. Which is what made his presence work so well for the story~ (Still, I've had friends drop the show because of how annoying he is)

Last edited by roseversailles on Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Shinji Ikari is not a crybaby. At all. Even the slightest.

Sure, he cries. But look at his life. You would cry too, if it happened to you.

Picking Shinji for this list is such low-hanging fruit from people who refuse to recognize more than the superficial aspects of a show. It's a little more than a tired meme that "Shinji is a pussy, lol". How about actually watching the show and paying attention? He's not crying because his ice cream cone fell out of his hands onto the ground, he's crying because horrible, horrible things are happening to him, constantly.

I like how it's acknowledged how terrible his existence is and yet he's still number one on the list. Totally not a contradiction.

I have a big "eff you" to the people who INSIST Shinji is a "crybaby". Your comprehension level is zero. Go watch something more your speed, like Jewelpet.

A crybaby cries excessively for silly reasons. Shinji has good reasons.

Calm down, buddy. Everything's going to be ok.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
b4k4ni04 wrote:
bwuh. How does Lag Seeing not make this list.

... .. . . :<.

Lag is the only correct answer for the list. Seriously, the guy cries enough to fill all seven spots.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:

Good lord, is Shinji annoying. Yes, his life sucks, but he spends so much time moping about it instead of *gasp* actively doing something to change his circumstances that he became loathesome. Asuka had an equally awful past, and yet she still struggled to move past that and become different; whether it did her any good or not is another matter. I get why there's hate for Shinji. Still, when I really think about it, I wouldn't classify him as emo. He does have a set of terrible circumstances, and I can't say I would've fared much better when I was his age.

I disagree with this. Asuka and Shinji are very similar even though they seem to be polar opposites. The only real difference is that Shinji wears his emotions on his sleeve whereas Asuka hides her feelings behind her aggressive and over-confident demeanor.
She cries in private quite a few times, has bouts of self-pity, and will kick, scream and destroy things in fits of rage. Like Shinji, she pushes people away, the only meaning in her life comes from piloting the Eva, and she's not able to get over the trauma she suffered in her childhood.
The difference is that initially, Shinji will run away, but when things get really bad, he manages to stand up and do what he feels he has to. Asuka on the other hand comes across with false bravado, but when things really start getting bad (losing battles, the mind attack from the Angel, being saved by Rei) she completely shuts down. I mean, she ends up naked in a tub in an abandoned building and in EoE she's lying catatonic in a hospital.
Don't forget too that for a while Shinji was trying to move forward. He was making friends, was learning to open up to people more, was working on fixing his relationship with Gendo, and was focusing on becoming a better pilot. If anything, I think it was Shinji who was making the effort to improve his life, not Asuka.

Edit: I realize I come across sounding like I dislike Asuka. My avatar and collection of Asuka figures (and the fact that my Eva box set is displayed with the Asuka side facing out) say otherwise.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Asuka masks her insecurity by pretending to be superior to everybody. She feels like she has nobody else, has to live according to her own terms because nobody else will help her. But instead of internalizing it like Shinji, she seperates herself from others by putting herself on a pedestal. She can then avoid being hurt because she can justify it to herself that she's above others and thus doesn't need to get close to them, even if part of her longs to.

Shinji's a lot more honest with his feelings. He knows he's miserable. Asuka fools herself into believing she's happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wrathful

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Nana isn't here. I mean I understand she had to reason to cry but she certainly cried a lot. It's been a long time since I have seen it. Everytime I remember the series, I always remember her bawling her eyes out.
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why is Shinji is number 1. I don't remember him crying too much. I think Luffy from One Piece has cried more times but there is no mention of him in the article.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
roseversailles wrote:

I disagree with this. Asuka and Shinji are very similar even though they seem to be polar opposites. The only real difference is that Shinji wears his emotions on his sleeve whereas Asuka hides her feelings behind her aggressive and over-confident demeanor.
She cries in private quite a few times, has bouts of self-pity, and will kick, scream and destroy things in fits of rage. Like Shinji, she pushes people away, the only meaning in her life comes from piloting the Eva, and she's not able to get over the trauma she suffered in her childhood.
The difference is that initially, Shinji will run away, but when things get really bad, he manages to stand up and do what he feels he has to. Asuka on the other hand comes across with false bravado, but when things really start getting bad (losing battles, the mind attack from the Angel, being saved by Rei) she completely shuts down. I mean, she ends up naked in a tub in an abandoned building and in EoE she's lying catatonic in a hospital.
Don't forget too that for a while Shinji was trying to move forward. He was making friends, was learning to open up to people more, was working on fixing his relationship with Gendo, and was focusing on becoming a better pilot. If anything, I think it was Shinji who was making the effort to improve his life, not Asuka.

Edit: I realize I come across sounding like I dislike Asuka. My avatar and collection of Asuka figures (and the fact that my Eva box set is displayed with the Asuka side facing out) say otherwise.

I don't think you came across as disliking her Smile She's a complex character (like the rest of the cast), so it's hard to talk about her in a non-critical fashion.

On that note, I *get* that she is just as messed up (maybe even moreso) than Shinji. She's just better at hiding it. Surely she is emotionally damaged, scarred by her horrific childhood and fear of loneliness and inadequacy, both seeking a human connection and seemingly hiding from any potential ones at the same time. I think the reason I give Shinji a harder time is because he's the main character. Hear me out on this one.

We do not spend nearly as much time locked in Asuka's head as Shinji. We do not hear half as many internal anguished monologues, her doubts and insecurities, her moaning over her faults and lot in life. For a portion of the series, we see her as Shinji does, as this tsundere whirlwind that is far too full of herself. This is not so with Shinji. We don't have that wall to keep the character's issues distanced from us for a time. From day one, we are right there with Shinji, hearing every self-demoralizing comment and every whimper.

At first, he resents his position. We relate to this, we say, why should he be forced into this? Then he attempts to hold himself together, to change, to make friends and slowly overcome his issues. We are glad to see this character making progress, we are relieved to see some change. And then it all goes to hell. He retreats into himself, rightfully so considering the situation, but still, do we really want to sit there with him and watch this character regress into their defeated state? All of that progress is now gone; his insecurities are now on full display. Fascinating in concept? Heck yes. I love psychology. Works in execution? For me, no.

Hashing out the same issues can get irritating after a while. Yes, we KNOW Shinji's issues with his father, yes, we KNOW his issues with the women in his life, yes, we KNOW about his fear and loss of Kaworu and all the other troubles plaguing his adolescent brain. The thing is, once we've been through these ideas, we don't want to keep hearing about them and analyzing them when we've already done so, when nothing is changing/will change. We want to see some sort of epiphany, some sort of realization, or at least a finality to it all. A conclusion. The show's ending attempts to provide this, but it comes across as false, as a cheap ploy to avoid the reality of how crippling self-hate and doubt don't go away with a simple *maybe I can learn to love myself.* This is why EoE WORKS, because it doesn't try to duck out of the sticky conundrum the series created. Still, we've got the psychology, but none of the philosophy. We are lacking the redemption.

And that is my super-long tale of why Shinji doesn't escape the label of crybaby in my book. An interesting character? Yes! Likeable (after a point)? Nononononononono.........
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh Usagi...Even though she's a 14 year old crime fighter, how I loathed her crying in the English dub. Seriously, she cried for almost no reasons in the anime (like I think she spilled her ice cream once and just wailed) yet, in the manga, she's just spoiled and rarely cries.

I only watched 5-6 ep. of Letter Bee, but I'm sure the kid cried in practically every episode.

Eh...I'm kinda moe (or I find moe traits?) for Shinji. (...What? don't look at me like that... >.>) I think he cries once in the series and spoiler[completely loses it] in EOE so, other than "Let's have another reason to point out why people hate him", I don't get why he's #1.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
I don't get why is Shinji is number 1. I don't remember him crying too much. I think Luffy from One Piece has cried more times but there is no mention of him in the article.

Exactly. How many times does Shinji actually cry over the course of the series? Compare that to Madoka and consider that from beginning to end, her show covers less than a month, as opposed to about half a year for Eva. Heck, how many times does she cry in episode 4 alone? And that's a single day.

They both have to deal with pretty horrible things, though there are differences in the nature of those horrible things. (She has an awesome family, he has NERV backing him and a low mortality rate among fellow Eva pilots, etc.) But Madoka's more open about her emotional response than Shinji is, which may be part of why she can face the end with more calm and resolve than he could.

Actually, I think they'd get along pretty well. Smile There might be some interference from a well-meaning Sayaka hoping to bring out some awesome from him for Madoka's sake, inadvertently leading him to take the path of least resistance, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7