• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Biggest Crybaby Heroes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
Obligatory Shinji link, relevant to thread.

I agree with him being a crybaby; every real problem he has is one facing everyone else in the show. (Or that was faced by everyone else in the show in the past, if you consider "raging hormonal changes" a valid reason to cry.)

Obligatory Gentle Giant link, irrelevant to thread.

...for me, there was an obvious pick for "favorite gentle giant", but I'm pretty sure my pick won't make the top five.
scarletmoonwish

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:23 am Reply with quote
No Lag Seeing odd, that kid cries all the time, even when it's a happy moment.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Shinji is one of those characters that I've always had a soft spot for. In the TV series, he never struck me as 'emo' but rather a really scared, lonely, confused kid who witnessed the death of his mother and then had his father leave him shortly after. Can't really blame him for being withdrawn or not knowing how to deal with people very well. Hell, there were even times when he did try to be more take charge, only to have it blow up in his face. (ie; Going in all guns blazing trying to fight Leliel, only to get swallowed up, almost dying and having the Angel trying to psychologically analyze him. Or fighting Zeruel where the Eva loses all power, goes berserk, and he ends up losing his physical form. Oh, and then goes through some psychological trauma. Again.) If he needs to have a cry and a mope, he's more than entitled to it.

I have to say, I'm re-watching Eva after about 10 years ago, and it's been interesting and like I'm viewing the show in a whole other way. When I first watched it, I was about Shinji's age, and viewed him as a whiny little brat who did nothing. Over a decade later and viewing it as an adult, it's like a completely different experience. Not only am I picking up story plot that I didn't quite catch on the first time (not to mention I didn't remember a few episodes or scenes at all), but you can REALLY sympathize with the characters a lot more. Through my own life experience and going through the teenage years, although I can't personally relate to him, but I understand him more. He's gone through CRAP, and he's the type of person who has hedgehog's dilemma. People are like that.

With Asuka, I've met people in my life who are a lot like her, in which I later hear have gone through stuff in their lives, and it makes sense how not just her, but people in general try and cover up their real emotions like she does. I can also get her "I want to do this on my own, but if I get hurt, I want comfort, but I don't want to show that I want comfort". A lot of these characteristics and emotions are very real, and even more common than people think. Kind of like Shinji with wanting to run away with his problems. It's common, people do that! Oh and I forgot to mention Misato with her sort of dad/boyfriend complex. I know people like that, too! Some call it a cookie cutter Freudian thing, but well, there is some realism to it too.

...to sum it up, it's been a great experience doing a second viewing of the show so many years later. At a first look when I was younger, it felt depressing and hopeless, but as a second viewing, it's actually more uplifting and hopeful, looking at it another way. It's like watching it for the first time, and I'm looking at it A LOT more highly than i did before.
nechronius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:28 am Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:
And that is my super-long tale of why Shinji doesn't escape the label of crybaby in my book. An interesting character? Yes! Likeable (after a point)? Nononononononono.........

Longish but well written summation. Interesting character study but made for a really annoying test of endurance. And the last two episodes were such a disappointment to me... To be fair though, Evangelion is on my rewatch list since it's been years and I had such an adverse reaction to the show when I first saw it that I'm thinking I should at least give it another shot.

Quote:
Madoka cries and fails to do anything for roughly ten episodes, almost inadvertently kills her best friend, and watches as terrible things happen around her from the sidelines. End of story. (and for the record, I don't dislike this character)

I think at least in Madoka's case, she's kept in the dark as much as possible by Homura, so the traumatic events around her could lead her to break down constantly in shock and confusion. At least in the end she makes a very mature and decisive decision.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:40 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:

I agree with him being a crybaby; every real problem he has is one facing everyone else in the show. (Or that was faced by everyone else in the show in the past, if you consider "raging hormonal changes" a valid reason to cry.)

[attack removed]. You (and the comic you link to) misrepresent Shinji's situation and ignore everything else that's going on his life. Plus he's only thirteen at the start of the series, he doesn't have the emotional faculty and maturity to properly handle his current circumstances.
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:43 am Reply with quote
One of Soun Tendo's literal waterfalls of daughter-concern tears on Ranma 1/2 could drown all seven.

(Although that's more "sentimentality" than "crybaby", so Mihoshi would probably have to take his place on the list.
Not a "hero", you say?--Well, when was C-ko?)
Quark

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:27 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:

Wow. Okay, that person did not get it. At all. Shinji suffers from severe chronic depression and is afraid of getting close to people. Being around attractive women is not going to magically fix his problems. If anything, as the show demonstrated, it just made him more confused and afraid.
skaly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
And this is why the new Eva 3.0 movie is awesome after seeing Shinji finally take charge and man up at the end of 2.0 the third movie shows the aweful consequence's of taking action rather than avoiding fights. Razz

Shinji just can't win. I'd be crying too.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
Shinji also spoiler[pilots a nightmarish biomechanical beast powered by the soul of his own dead mother and which transmits all its pain to him, has the weight of the world on his shoulders, and battles alien invaders who commit atrocities and maim, disintegrate or psychologically mind-screw anyone they meet. With all the crap he's seen it's no wonder he got PTSD.]

Oh, and Shinji's spoiler[boss is the very father who 1: abandoned him when he was a young child, 2: directs all of his affection towards a girl Shinji has never met before, and 3: is now using him as nothing more than a tool of war. Lovely. Father of the year material indeed.]

Shinji is a crybaby and needs to stop whinging and get over himself? Yeah . . . right . . . . . .
skaly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Picking Shinji for this list is such low-hanging fruit from people who refuse to recognize more than the superficial aspects of a show. It's a little more than a tired meme that "Shinji is a pussy, lol". How about actually watching the show and paying attention? He's not crying because his ice cream cone fell out of his hands onto the ground, he's crying because horrible, horrible things are happening to him, constantly.

I certainly think that calling someone a "crybaby" is a way of delegitimizing their emotions. I think part of the problem with the show is also one of its strengths: It deliberately plays against the tropes of the giant robot genre. Shinji is no Gundam pilot. Gundam pilots are born fully formed and ready to kick ass. Shinji has to grow into his role, and resents that he feels he has no freedom to decide otherwise. (He could decide otherwise, but then the world ends.) And it doesn't help that when he gets close to accepting his role, his father nearly kills one of his best friends.

He's dealing with rejection, moral obligation, constant danger, loss of loved ones, and survivor's guilt. If you call him a crybaby, you might as well call everyone with PTSD a crybaby.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
skaly wrote:
Gundam pilots are born fully formed and ready to kick ass.

Except being teens thrust into war and all, they are often also emotionally immature and psychologically fragile.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
skaly wrote:
Gundam pilots are born fully formed and ready to kick ass.

Except being teens thrust into war and all, they are often also emotionally immature and psychologically fragile.

You must have never watched gundam wing then. Heero is more of emotionless bastard then most new characters being developed now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
^
Yeah, I've watched Wing. I didn't say "always", I said "often":

dtm42 wrote:
...they are often also...

Many Gundam pilots freak out or have a breakdown at some point or another. Amuro, Kamille, Garrod, Kira (he cried all the time in the first half of SEED), Shinn and Banagher. There may be more that I'm missing.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I really should watch Gundam. Where to start...?

Quark wrote:

Being around attractive women is not going to magically fix his problems. If anything, as the show demonstrated, it just made him more confused and afraid.

And homicidal. Especially towards Asuka. (Spoiler for EOE)

dtm42 wrote:

Oh, and Shinji's spoiler[boss is the very father who 1: abandoned him when he was a young child, 2: directs all of his affection towards a girl Shinji has never met before, and 3: is now using him as nothing more than a tool of war. Lovely. Father of the year material indeed.]

Shinji is a crybaby and needs to stop whinging and get over himself? Yeah . . . right . . . . . .

Don't forget that the one person who said I Love You was spoiler[an Angel hybrid whom he personally had to kill using that mecha. His friend turns out to be a clone of his dead mother and Lilith. ] And we have no idea what his spoiler["teacher" taught him during the years Gendo abandoned him] which would have made him so insecure and self-harming. Yeah, what a loser~ Rolling Eyes
Calibrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Where's Jacuzzi Splot on this list?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7