Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Grand Prizes Given for 4th Kyoto Animation Award


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
zeroyuki92



Joined: 03 Oct 2011
Posts: 44
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:54 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Well, of course they can't give anyone the grand prize, then they'd have to do something that isn't being a complete heel.

enurtsol wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
On the other hand, if everything they're receiving is mediocre and therefore nothing can gain Grand Prize...that's not saying good things about the quality of LNs today.


Or the people who are good don't consider this Award prestigious enough to worth submitting to.

And given what KyoAni is what to fart out these days, I wouldn't ether.


I don't think anybody want to dismiss a chance to be animated by KyoAni. At least you will get superior animation and your work have a good chance of becoming a huge hit. They also have a tendency to polish a mediocre original materials to pure golds, although recent results are not really good (Most of them are the result of bad material/marketing, anyway. But they are still doing fine in industry standard)

The only reasons that hold you from not wanting that chance are :
1. You don't like KyoAni brand for whatever reasons.
2. You don't like a chance of story altering since KyoAni have a tendency to do that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConanSan



Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 1818
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:12 am Reply with quote
Kyo Ani have done NOTHING to prove themselves worthy of deming things worthy of awards.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PseudoFiction



Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
Have to wonder want the conditions of winning the grand prize are for this contest. If a submission actually won the million yen and got a series made but the prize money was considered a contract fee so the original creator lost rights to the work, then it surely wouldn't be worth it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nhat



Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 918
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Every time I hear about this so called award not giving grand prizes, I cannot help laughing. At the same time I feel sorry for those who submitted works. I agree with Kougeru and walw6pK4Alo. This contest seems like a scam.



So lets award the best crap and give it the first prize.

A shiny tard is still a tard. I guess everyone is conditioned that everyone should be winners regardless of how bad the stuff is bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:23 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Every time I hear about this so called award not giving grand prizes, I cannot help laughing. At the same time I feel sorry for those who submitted works. I agree with Kougeru and walw6pK4Alo. This contest seems like a scam.



So lets award the best crap and give it the first prize.

A shiny tard is still a tard. I guess everyone is conditioned that everyone should be winners regardless of how bad the stuff is bad.


Yes, the top work submitted for a contest should win the contest.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
nhat



Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 918
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Kyo Ani have done NOTHING to prove themselves worthy of deming things worthy of awards.


Well than tell them to stop holding events since you're so authoritative in deciding what they can and can't do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kastel



Joined: 19 Apr 2013
Posts: 172
Location: Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
It's really not uncommon at all. Check out the list of winners (or lack thereof) for the Akatsuka Award--a rather well-known award for comedic manga:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/赤塚賞

("受賞者なし" is "No award given")

Same story with the Tezuka Award (the "story manga" counterpart for the Akatsuka Award):

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/手塚賞

You can see the committee members for the Tezuka Award in the English wiki article on it.

I wouldn't say they're being too picky or it's NOT a scam, but this isn't really all that unusual.


ALL OF THESE ARE SCAMS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tanteikingdomkey



Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Posts: 2244
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Kastel wrote:
fencer_x wrote:
It's really not uncommon at all. Check out the list of winners (or lack thereof) for the Akatsuka Award--a rather well-known award for comedic manga:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/赤塚賞

("受賞者なし" is "No award given")

Same story with the Tezuka Award (the "story manga" counterpart for the Akatsuka Award):

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/手塚賞

You can see the committee members for the Tezuka Award in the English wiki article on it.

I wouldn't say they're being too picky or it's NOT a scam, but this isn't really all that unusual.


ALL OF THESE ARE SCAMS

the tezuka award is not a scam, it is actually a highly respected award. part of the way to keep it that way is to not award it to trash just because it was best in trash. this is a common occurrence and the judge has the right to do this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
darkchibi07



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 5278
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Judging from Kastel's recent posts, that user is mostly being sarcastic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9321
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Okay so none of the entries were good enough to win, but none were good enough to give honorable mentions to either? Those awards the other member linked to at least always had those mentions every single year even if nothing won.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chagen46



Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 4377
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:00 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Okay so none of the entries were good enough to win, but none were good enough to give honorable mentions to either? Those awards the other member linked to at least always had those mentions every single year even if nothing won.


Uh...some did win honorable mentions, at least in Novel. I guess no one even entered in Manga and Scenario?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConanSan



Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 1818
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Kastel wrote:
fencer_x wrote:
It's really not uncommon at all. Check out the list of winners (or lack thereof) for the Akatsuka Award--a rather well-known award for comedic manga:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/赤塚賞

("受賞者なし" is "No award given")

Same story with the Tezuka Award (the "story manga" counterpart for the Akatsuka Award):

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/手塚賞

You can see the committee members for the Tezuka Award in the English wiki article on it.

I wouldn't say they're being too picky or it's NOT a scam, but this isn't really all that unusual.


ALL OF THESE ARE SCAMS

the tezuka award is not a scam, it is actually a highly respected award. part of the way to keep it that way is to not award it to trash just because it was best in trash. this is a common occurrence and the judge has the right to do this.
Yes, because that doesn't come off as your contest being a bunch of head-up-arse action or anything.

If you can't give something a prize after four years then something is clearly wrong with you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tanteikingdomkey



Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Posts: 2244
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Kastel wrote:
fencer_x wrote:
It's really not uncommon at all. Check out the list of winners (or lack thereof) for the Akatsuka Award--a rather well-known award for comedic manga:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/赤塚賞

("受賞者なし" is "No award given")

Same story with the Tezuka Award (the "story manga" counterpart for the Akatsuka Award):

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/手塚賞

You can see the committee members for the Tezuka Award in the English wiki article on it.

I wouldn't say they're being too picky or it's NOT a scam, but this isn't really all that unusual.


ALL OF THESE ARE SCAMS

the tezuka award is not a scam, it is actually a highly respected award. part of the way to keep it that way is to not award it to trash just because it was best in trash. this is a common occurrence and the judge has the right to do this.
Yes, because that doesn't come off as your contest being a bunch of head-up-arse action or anything.

If you can't give something a prize after four years then something is clearly wrong with you.

Their standards probably are to high for what they are looking for. I mean their honorable mentions are now both getting 1 cour if not 2 animes animated by them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Rahxephon91



Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 1804
Location: Park Forest IL.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:


So lets award the best crap and give it the first prize.

A shiny tard is still a tard. I guess everyone is conditioned that everyone should be winners regardless of how bad the stuff is bad.
Huh? This sounds like some shitty Ayn Rand crap. No, I don't think that's quite it. You're kind of over thinking it.

No, it's just strange that an award thing, who's function is to give out awards has yet to give out it's main award 4 years straight now.

That doesn't sound odd?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9321
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Good enough to be animated, a process that likely costs two and a half million for their caliber of work (>$200k/ep), but not enough to win a trifle of money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group