• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Air Theme Plagiarised

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Anybody know if this is the only CD that Shaun Yu has released? I can't find any others online.

EDIT: looks like this is the same guy.
virus86

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the link! I've been searching for a download for a long time!!

Yup!!! This song IS Tori No Uta. Shame on him!!
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Okay, yeah, listening to that file, there's no mistake that it's the same song. Every disctinctive element of the melody is there and is the same. But it's far beyond the margin of just being coincidentally similar, other than a bit added to the ending it's more or less identical. Not a coincidence or even just being inspired.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:52 pm Reply with quote
ERRATUM AND ADDENDUM

Shaun Yu (永邦; some source romanize his name as "Yong Bang") is not Taiwanese but Singaporean; he has fans around the Chinese Culture Hemisphere (PR China, HK, Macao, Singapore, and Taiwan), though.

Right now, an Air fan who's also a lawyer (NTU Law School) had suggested to take formal actions instead of ranting over the Net. Please DO NOT send or provide links to illegitimate MP3 downloads to others, particularly to SONY/BMG or Key. Therefore, please remove links in your post(s). Providing illegitimate music files will only weaken our effort.

For those who can read Chinese, you can find more information at the Air Forum of Bahamut.

Cetali wrote:
"Tori no Uta was composed by Key and fans of Air"

That's a bit of a strange way to refer to I've, or isn't Tori no uta by them?

It should be read as "Tori no Uta was composed by Key, and fans of Air / Key have brought the issue up on the forum on Key's Official website..."

Glad to see many Taiwanese ANN users have surfaced. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Hayate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote
he fails HARD. This is ridiculous!
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
Pop-Art Samurai wrote:
Anybody here ever watched any old school kung-fu flicks?

"Oh look, we have an intense stand off between our main characters, what music can we use?"

"How about some Ennio Morricone?"

"Brilliant!"

Something like that anyway, back in the seventies a lot of Hong Kong filmscores "borrowed" from various sources. However, as someone else mentioned, there is a possibility that it's complete coincidence.

It happens all the time in music actually. Mozart borrowed a measure from Clementi, John Williams nabbed a theme from E. W. Korngold etc.

You know, I once saw a 70's kung-fu flick that was actually pretty funny, and it used almost every single piece of music scored for the original Star Wars movie in it. The climactic fight at the end of the movie even used John Williams' Death Star Attack music! It was funny, I tell you, but not right.
Fuhrer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:34 am Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't expect it so much the same. There is no doubt that this is Tori No Uta.

I really dont understand how people think that they will get away with stuff like this. Not to smart if you ask me.
fflover2004

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:40 am Reply with quote
I don't know if I'm reading correctly, but although this album is called best collection, the music piece is a NEW title released just for the sake of this album. I don't think this is even a conincidence.

(原创风行版) - which translates literally, is "original composition verison".

i really feel ashamed for his actions. it not only spoils the good image of singapore(i'm a singaporean), it also going to cause a major uproar if this matter blows up.

hopefully he apologise publicly to all AIR fans(i'm one), and withdraw the composition from the album. let's solve it peacefully and not always resort to lawsuit cases.

tat's my point of view
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:49 am Reply with quote
I was going to say the song "Aozora" from Air sounds way to familiar to the old song "The Rose."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:38 am Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
I was going to say the song "Aozora" from Air sounds way to familiar to the old song "The Rose."

First eight measures only. Nothing similar afterwards.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:43 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
It should be read as "Tori no Uta was composed by Key, and fans of Air / Key have brought the issue up on the forum on Key's Official website

I have a little question here as a fan of I've Sound. If Orito Shinji is from Visual Arts/Key, and he composed the music, OP/ED to Onegai Teacher, then wouldn't that also make it that Key composed music for Onegai Teacher?

Or was it only I'VE (i.e. Takase, Nakazawa et al.) who composed the BGM to Onegai Teacher?

Also, is it possible for one to provide an .htm link to a location where you can stream music other than direct download? I know savvy users can find where to get the file, but can one do this to show how alike two songs are?

[EDIT]
I've found out the name of the song by Alan Tam. It's "愛情陷阱" (Ngoi Ching Hum Jeng). And what do you know. It's composed by the same composer of Megazone 23 VA opening theme "Senaka goshi ni Sentimental".
Looks like Serizawa Hiroaki had been composing a lot of Hong Kong pop music since the 1980s. So it's no wonder that "愛情陷阱" sounds so alike. Serizawa took parts from the opening of Megazone 23. Huh, guess it's not plagiarism then.

You can listen a little sample from HKVP.
http://hkvpradio.com/artists/alantam/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Loserbait

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote
The game came out quite a while ago. I remember I had the song something like 2 years ago. This is a terrible rip-off (in principle, otherwise it's quite well-played). I just wish he didn't rip-off a Lia track Sad
midori kou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Then again Japanese people also steal music too (Nami Tamaki's "Daitan ni Iki Mashou Heart & Soul" versus A-Teens' "Perfect Match") and same goes for the US (Vanilla Ice's music intro to "Ice Ice Baby" versus Queen's "Under Pressure"; Kaila Yu's music intro to "Just a dream" versus Lucia's song from Lunar 2 Complete). It happens a lot these days. =\
fflover2004

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote
the above artist midori kou have mentioned have bought rights to re-sing the song again. i feel that this is ok as they paid copyrighted fees for it.

as for yong bang, he claimed in his album tat it's his original composition. so this is stealing.
Maceart

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:29 am Reply with quote
As an AIR fanboy and a citizen of Taiwan, I feel that this person should be reprimanded for what he has done. AIR has quite an established fanbase in Taiwan (along with Kanon) and it came out two years ago. Unless this guy can prove that he composed this song more than 2 years ago, this is blatant plagarism.

Comparing this track with UNO's remix of Tori no Uta and the AIR piano Re-feel OST, it sounds exactly, note by note, the same. No, changing tempo doesn't count as creative artistry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3