• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Air Theme Plagiarised

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rislim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
American ways! Rolling Eyes Example: 'Another World' by Gackt was copied in the 2001 Josie And the Pussycats movie. But I can't for the life of me remember the name of the English song. - -; Sorry.

You Gackt fans are so backwards. The Josie and the Pussycats movie came out before Another World was even released. The movie was released in April 2001 while his single came out in September 2001. What did they do? Hop onto a time machine to "steal" his song? It's called "Three Small Words" by the way.

Date of Another World's release:
http://www.mahamari.com/story/disc.shtml

Date of Josie and the Pussycats movie release:
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1804476872&cf=info&intl=us
W-General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
An update on this:

http://www.acg-dream.com/vbb/futaba/src/1125622768136.jpg

This guy's a singaporean musician, and he claims that he was NOT INVOLVED with the production of this CD. Every decision was made by his company and his manager. This song didn't even contain his singing (he's mainly a singer) Apparently he has held a press conference explaining this.

More information, if you could read chinese:
http://udn.com/NEWS/ENTERTAINMENT/ENT6/2876181.shtml

http://www.appledaily.com.tw/News/index.cfm?Fuseaction=Article&showdate=20050902
&Sec_ID=9&NewsType=twapple&loc=TP&PageType=ent&Art_ID=2019215
[/b]
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:08 pm Reply with quote
W-General wrote:
Apparently he has held a press conference explaining this.

No he hasn't, otherwise his official fan club would have expressed their joy.

I've contacted both Sony/BMG and his agency, What A Young. While Sony/BMG insisted that they were only responsible for distribution but not the content of this album, the agency told me to contact 季中平 (some sources wrote his name as 季忠平), the producer of this album, instead, for he's the one in charge of the entire production session. Yet he's in China now, and I wouldn't make an international phone call without a very good reason.

Right now it looks like all parties are trying to escape from responsibility as far away as possible. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
KasugaSan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:18 am Reply with quote
OMG...this is terrible!!! The piano piece sounds really good, if the artist didn't claim that it was his own composition!!! And credited the original composer
linlinchan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Exactly. But, a sacred Japanese artist plagiarizing music from such a lowbrow source would be unthinkable! Which is why no one ever bothered to consider that Josie and the Pussycats might have come first.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote
coulda swore i heard a japanese song that sounded exactly like a song from Grease...hmmm

beauty school drop out i think, yeah
Shii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:39 pm Reply with quote
linlinchan wrote:
Exactly. But, a sacred Japanese artist plagiarizing music from such a lowbrow source would be unthinkable! Which is why no one ever bothered to consider that Josie and the Pussycats might have come first.
Talk about putting words in someone's mouth.
Yue.san

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
"...we will not ask for financial compensations..."

That's quite a graceful maneuver for Key. Good thing they're not an american company...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
Kusanagi-Kei wrote:
This is yet again another copy of anime/Japanese music. And this is from Air as well. What a disgrace.

Why does Air make it any different? - -; Overrated...*cough*

Sadly enough, stuff like this happens sort of often. Especially in America, since us Americans automatically assume that the American version is the original because foreigners aren't allowed to have as much talent as us and aren't used to our superior American ways! Rolling Eyes Example: 'Another World' by Gackt was copied in the 2001 Josie And the Pussycats movie. But I can't for the life of me remember the name of the English song. - -; Sorry.

You know, let's back away from the geographic form of borderline racism here a second. I'm afraid this happens in every country in all parts of the world and if you think Japan isn't guilty of it themselves then you need to open your eyes a bit and see beyond the fanboy bias.

If anything I'd say Americans are more critical of domestic productions than imports, it's just not many imports make it here. This forum in and of itself is an example of that at play as so many people will rag on everything domestic as if liking something non-japanese is a sin. As much of a fan of anime is I don't buy into the whole dominant racial lifeform style of thought, it's just another artform in a pool of many great artforms.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tvacnaar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I hope you don't mean that you actually have respect for not so much the american music industry, but shall we say a certian company that likes a famous mouse? I personally can't fathom why anyone tolerates that company at all. I know I like some of the Pixar stuff but come on even that is so lame it is sad.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Afraid I do, to an extent, I respect some of the work they've done. Not to fond of them lately but it doesn't change what they've done that I liked. Of course I'm not an overly jaded anime obsessed fanboy either, just a regulare fan and certainly not exclusively. Art is not based on geography or within a single culture, belief or adoption of such a concept is borderline racism disguised as fandom.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3