• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime guy crushes?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Past wrote:
I won't watch Princess Tutu

Ehhh but whyyyyy!? D:
It's so good!
The show just felt really annoying to me, like it was really too much below my maturity level. And I like toilet humor and senseless fanservice because humor knows no age limit, but PT lacked that, tried to be serious but the delivery to me just seemed constantly lame and deadpan. And overall the visual appeal just wasn't there for me, tried to be a mix of dark and mysterious sometimes and cheery other times but the characters just didn't seem like they belonged in either of those settings.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:04 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
Past wrote:
I won't watch Princess Tutu

Ehhh but whyyyyy!? D:
It's so good!
The show just felt really annoying to me, like it was really too much below my maturity level. And I like toilet humor and senseless fanservice because humor knows no age limit, but PT lacked that, tried to be serious but the delivery to me just seemed constantly lame and deadpan. And overall the visual appeal just wasn't there for me, tried to be a mix of dark and mysterious sometimes and cheery other times but the characters just didn't seem like they belonged in either of those settings.

I am about 1/3 through the second season right now. The second season has been weaker than the first one so far and is just starting to pick itself up again, but I really loved the first season, especially the switching between hilarious comedy and mystic seriousness. The animation is very limited, and yes, it is clearly targeting an age group below the one I belong to, but I find it to be rich in atmosphere and heart. The setting appeals to me enormously, as I am reminded of many vacations in Bavaria during my childhood, which mixes nicely with the fairytale like intro and theme of the episodes and makes me feel like a child again on several levels. It is almost like revisiting a childhood favorite, although I never watched this show as a child, yet still I am getting some lovely nostalgia vibes from it. To get back to this thread's topic, had I watched this show as a kid, I am certain I would have developed quite a significant crush on Fakir, he is definitely a character to my liking, and would have been to the teenager me as well.
Because of the show's innocence and target audience, I am hoping for a happy ending, although I have to say the atmosphere and foreshadowing seem to allow a bittersweet ending at best. They are usually my favorite kind of endings, but since Ahiru and Fakir are so likable and innocent, I'd wish for something better for them (no spoilers, please).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4