• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Koreans singing in Japanese?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Anyway, I would love to see J-pop group try doing a Korean and Chinese-language album. I mean K-pop idols/artists can sing in Chinese and Japanese, I wonder when we will see J-pop doing a Korean and Chinese language album.
Not to come off as offensive, but I get the impression that they don't "need" to break into the Korean market. The Japanese market is big enough to support Japanese artists, it seems.

Well the Chinese market is smaller then Korea and Japan yet we still see K-pop artists sing in Chinese (ie: EXO-M, Super Junior-M, Topp Dogg, and Nu'EST-M which they will debut soon). So I don't see the problem with Japanese artists/idols doing Korean and Chinese language songs, it kinda makes them more talented if they can sing in Korean and Chinese.

Quote:
Quite honestly I always prefer to hear artists sing in their original language. I never find myself listening to Japanese versions of the K-pop hits I love. So I can't imagine I'd like it the other way around either.

I can understand where you come from on this, but I've seen K-pop that can sing really well in other languages. I mean have you seen Davichi singing in Spanish. Girls Generation not only can sing well in Korean, Japanese, and English, I was really impressed when they sang in Chinese. U-KISS even sang in Spanish really well, I bet you if they had release that Spanish version of "dear my friend" as a single in South America, it would probably top the South American charts and would not only top The Billboard World Album, but also several Billboard Latin charts too if they did that. I would like to see U-KISS, 2PM, MBLAQ, SHINee, or any member of SS501 doing a Spanish-language song and release it for the Latin American market, I think Kim Hyung-jun of SS501 has said in a video interview he wants to write a song in Spanish for the South American market. If he or SS501 did that and it got release in South America, watch the Billboard Latin charts, it'll take the #1 spot as soon as that get release. Trust me Poonk, K-pop is really really super-popular in South America.

If K-pop can sing really well in other languages, then why not have more J-pop idols have option to sing in other languages. They could get a lot of global attention if J-pop can be able to sing in other languages. From my observation, I've seen maybe quite a few J-idols that can sing in multiple languages like you stated below.

Quote:
P.S. An interesting footnote: J-pop idol Gackt released Jūnigatsu no Love Song (December Love Song) in Japanese, English, Korean, and Mandarin, the last being a really beautiful duet with Wang Lee Hom. Best version of the song in my opinion. Their harmonizing at the end is amazing-- Lee Hom really brings it.

And Johnny's J-pop duo Tackey & Tsubasa released their single Venus in Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, and Thai.

I didn't know that, Poonk, are there any J-idols that have done songs in Japanese, and Chinese. I know Morning Musume have attempted to sing in Chinese, but it failed. But thanks for telling me that. I wish we had more J-idols doing songs in Korean and Chinese.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2