• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wired on Anime [2005-08-30]

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:47 pm Reply with quote
must it be said? x_x

and you mr. wired for being so timely and accurate in your reports *boot to the head* and another for the grubby husband *thump*

ah well glad to see anime is growing in popularity, now for yambo to be liscensed ^^
darkside31337

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't see what is so wrong about the fansubs on Naruto. The article, being a total load of fluff, still makes one really strong point. If the companies don't want their shows being fansubbed maybe they should license it before it's 100+ episodes in... I honestly don't think any Naruto fan such as myself is going to stop watching the subs, wait a year or 2, then proceed to continue watching. And I also disagree with the statement that fansubs are the same thing as bootlegs.

BTW, am I the only one who's never heard of Samurai Gun before?
daggerbob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote
[quote="darkside31337"]
Quote:
I honestly don't see what is so wrong about the fansubs on Naruto.

And I also disagree with the statement that fansubs are the same thing as bootlegs.

Totally agree with you on that. Should not be anything wrong with fansubs and fansubs should not be thought of as bootlegs (except those that unscrupulous people try to pass off as the real thing on web sites like eBay, Yahoo Shopping, or foreign shopping web sites).
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
darkside31337 wrote:
The article, being a total load of fluff, still makes one really strong point. If the companies don't want their shows being fansubbed maybe they should license it before it's 100+ episodes in... I honestly don't think any Naruto fan such as myself is going to stop watching the subs, wait a year or 2, then proceed to continue watching.

That's not as simple as it may seem to you. Firstly, there must be an interest by the Japanese companies to license said series before it is 100+ eps in. Sometimes they want to wait and see how popular a series is, in order to drive licensing costs up. (as well as to stop reverse imports) Second, it's not like company X just calls up Japanese company Y and says, "Hey, I like that Naruto show, license it to me." Sometimes a certain US and Japanese company will have a good relationship, or the US company will invest in the series, which might give them a leg up. The truth is most of this stuff goes through a bidding process. There are numerous details to be worked out, just like any company, in any field, entering into a contract with another company must do. The process moves on from there. Scripts are written, checked, sent to Japan, reworked, etc. Sometimes the Japanese company(ies) has input into the final VA selection. Dubbing is done as well as SFX and score editing and tweaking. Marketing begins. DVDs are authored, checked, and shipped. Such things take a great amount of time. As for you not stopping watching the subs, that's your choice of course. We are in the age where most people lack the patience to wait for anything to come out, and want it all now. That's your choice, I'm well past arguing such things with people.

darkside31337 wrote:
And I also disagree with the statement that fansubs are the same thing as bootlegs.

They are not the same, in that one is free, and the other gives money soley into the hands of those who had nothing to do with the series. Further, I'm not opposed to downloading fansubs of unlicensed series at all. Once a series is licensed though, I stop. I'm patient, and there are plenty of other unlicensed series to pique my interest until the series gets released here.

I wonder where they are buying there DVDs at an average $26, but I assume they are just using MSRP.

I also think they are wrong about the DVD release being the death of Naruto sub sites. If anything I think that downloading will increase with the DVD release, as those who have not been downloading get into the series, and are looking to get the higher episodes, instead of waiting for the DVDs to catch up. We'll see how overall sales turn out though.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
darkside31337 wrote:
I honestly don't see what is so wrong about the fansubs on Naruto. The article, being a total load of fluff, still makes one really strong point. If the companies don't want their shows being fansubbed maybe they should license it before it's 100+ episodes in... I honestly don't think any Naruto fan such as myself is going to stop watching the subs, wait a year or 2, then proceed to continue watching. And I also disagree with the statement that fansubs are the same thing as bootlegs.

I've never heard of Samurai Gun either until ADV released it.

Then again, I don't pay attention to what's out in Japan, only what's coming out in America.
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, that article said nothing new. Quite funny it links to narutofan, though I must disagree with "it's days being numbered". The stop tazmo campaign hasn't slowed it down >_>;;

darkside31337 wrote:

Yes. Well, probably not >_>. But Wired probably should change 'not a single torrent' to 'not a single fansub', because if you want to find a raw Samurai Gun torrent, it's easily avaliable. But really, I think the main reason Samurai Gun never got subbed was because it never drew enough attention in the fan community (even though I was supporting for it...). For example, Geneon recently licensed Gun x Sword before it aired, and that's being fansubbed.

Last edited by Bara_Megami on Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
darkside31337 wrote:
The article, being a total load of fluff, still makes one really strong point. If the companies don't want their shows being fansubbed maybe they should license it before it's 100+ episodes in... I honestly don't think any Naruto fan such as myself is going to stop watching the subs, wait a year or 2, then proceed to continue watching.

That's not as simple as it may seem to you. Firstly, there must be an interest by the Japanese companies to license said series before it is 100+ eps in. Sometimes they want to wait and see how popular a series is, in order to drive licensing costs up. (as well as to stop reverse imports) Second, it's not like company X just calls up Japanese company Y and says, "Hey, I like that Naruto show, license it to me." Sometimes a certain US and Japanese company will have a good relationship, or the US company will invest in the series, which might give them a leg up. The truth is most of this stuff goes through a bidding process. There are numerous details to be worked out, just like any company, in any field, entering into a contract with another company must do. The process moves on from there. Scripts are written, checked, sent to Japan, reworked, etc. Sometimes the Japanese company(ies) has input into the final VA selection. Dubbing is done as well as SFX and score editing and tweaking. Marketing begins. DVDs are authored, checked, and shipped. Such things take a great amount of time. As for you not stopping watching the subs, that's your choice of course. We are in the age where most people lack the patience to wait for anything to come out, and want it all now. That's your choice, I'm well past arguing such things with people.

darkside31337 wrote:

They are not the same, in that one is free, and the other gives money soley into the hands of those who had nothing to do with the series. Further, I'm not opposed to downloading fansubs of unlicensed series at all. Once a series is licensed though, I stop. I'm patient, and there are plenty of other unlicensed series to pique my interest until the series gets released here.

I wonder where they are buying there DVDs at an average $26, but I assume they are just using MSRP.

I also think they are wrong about the DVD release being the death of Naruto sub sites. If anything I think that downloading will increase with the DVD release, as those who have not been downloading get into the series, and are looking to get the higher episodes, instead of waiting for the DVDs to catch up. We'll see how overall sales turn out though.

All I know is I've never seen ANY Naruto before, but I'll watch it on Toonami to see if I even like it, then from there I'll decide whether or not to buy the DVDs.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:30 pm Reply with quote
yeah, gun sword is fansubbed, but liscensed before the japanese release

bootleg as it gets

gah got my series mixed up, bout broke my reply x_x
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I thought the reason that Samurai Gun didn't get fansubbed was because
a. Pre-licensed by ADV (no need for the hassle when better titles are out there)
b. Rumored to be an awful title

Here's a review of volume 1
http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/4280.php

That Naruto website is actually a good resource site for Naruto fans. It's understandable why it's high on the Google search. The article should have mentioned that aspect of the Naruto website. Not a very balanced article in my opinion on that portion of the article.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:16 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Not a very balanced article in my opinion on that portion of the article.

I fail to see why you think that. For all of the information on that site, it's primarily a repository for eps of Naruto as well as other series, available via bittorrent and direct dl. They are also charging for the "Naruto Fan Plus" service, which enables you to have:

Enhanced Member Experience
Direct downloads of Naruto anime
Direct downloads of MANY other anime
Direct downloads of Full Volumes of Naruto Manga
Direct downloads of Naruto CD's
No time limit between downloads and 1 download per server limits!
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote
Because the article only focuses on the downloads and not on the other content.

Anime Guide
Battle Guide
Card Game
Character Biographies...

There is a whole slew of other content on that website. It could survive with that alone.

If anyone is willing to pay for content that can be found for free, then they are not well knowledgeable of other resources and/or lazy in my opinion. Unless it becomes a proper Region 1, then buy the DVD, manga, CDs etc.
Izlude

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:34 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Anime Guide
Battle Guide
Card Game
Character Biographies...

There is a whole slew of other content on that website. It could survive with that alone.

Do you know how long it's been since NarutoFan actually UPDATED their information database? Like a whole year, the last thing they updated was a biography on Chouji. Nobody works on any written content anymore at the site, they just post when the next episode/chapter of Naruto can be expected and any other Naruto news.

Their information is just really lackluster with nobody updating it on a regular basis. I'm sure NarutoFan could survive with information alone, but they don't have anyone dedicated enough to actually write some.
Infearial

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:39 am Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:
Kazuki-san wrote:
darkside31337 wrote:

darkside31337 wrote:

All I know is I've never seen ANY Naruto before, but I'll watch it on Toonami to see if I even like it, then from there I'll decide whether or not to buy the DVDs.

Just so you don't make the mistake of not watching naruto, I would suggest that you watch it on DVD before you watch it on toonami. I can tell that they are going to mutilate naruto into crap. They have already mutilated the name into "Naruudo" instead of Naruto.
bluechibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:25 am Reply with quote
[quote="darkside31337"]I honestly don't see what is so wrong about the fansubs on Naruto. quote]

It might be because Naruto is one of the most downloaded series in the world (some of the top series in the US dont even come close). On one site they're close to 1/4 million downloads per episode. And we know how these get passed around. My downloads alone get shown to 5 other people (brothers and friends) so god knows how many people are watching Naruto with nobody getting any money, well except those who put them on DVD and sell them illegally.

I dream of a time where I can get an 100Gb internet connection and just log onto a Japanese site and download English subbed anime and pay per episode, kinda like with iTunes. They would have got a lot of money instead of nothing, the Naruto makers.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

Anime Guide
Battle Guide
Card Game
Character Biographies...

Do you know how long it's been since NarutoFan actually UPDATED their information database? Like a whole year, the last thing they updated was a biography on Chouji. Nobody works on any written content anymore at the site, they just post when the next episode/chapter of Naruto can be expected and any other Naruto news.

Their information is just really lackluster with nobody updating it on a regular basis. I'm sure NarutoFan could survive with information alone, but they don't have anyone dedicated enough to actually write some.

They will just have to add more incentives and more fansub downloads then jack up the price of thier "plus" membership fees.

As to their claim of helping Viz, I don't think that company will welcome them as much if they read thier forum pages of the constant parade of haters encouraging the mass condemning of the English release no matter how it turns out. And if Naruto on Toonami turns out freaking great, and they will still comb it over again and again every freakin week and find something to complain about.

And charging money for exclusive fansub access and extra content (and copyrighted) is still wrong. And you bet with all this new publicity thier getting (and negative publicity given back about the English release in their forums), we may never know just how much money thier making to "keep thier website going," with that PLUS membership.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3