• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Media Adds Monster Rancher TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:10 am Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:

Now can we do this to Medarot, Digimon, Gash Bell, Pokémon...

I can guarantee that Pokemon will NEVER happen in its uncut form. It's continuously airing, and something that The Pokemon Company International people would not care about doing. I'd buy all the sets, but I know that it would never happen...

Digimon may still have a chance, with Hulu subs made (but I wanna own them on disk v_v... Even if the translations are grammar nightmare!) The dub sets seemed successful, so I hope that New Video does pursue them as well... They never did give a straight "no" on it, just the usual PR of "no plans".

CCS also needs to re-emerge... No one wants to pay $200-400 per set for those!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
I'd be in favor of seeing CCS with a BD release, but that's not happening. You'd be lucky to even get a sub-only DVD using the old masters.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
Sucks that both CCS and Sailor Moon are stuck in some sort of licensing hell right now. Europe got rights to SM at least, but nothing yet for North America. CCS I'm sure has had companies show interest, but who knows what's going on :/ Every year around big cons like Animexpo I'm hopeful for these two, but every year nothing happens... *sigh*...
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Digimon may still have a chance, with Hulu subs made (but I wanna own them on disk v_v... Even if the translations are grammar nightmare!) The dub sets seemed successful, so I hope that New Video does pursue them as well... They never did give a straight "no" on it, just the usual PR of "no plans".

I highly doubt it with Saban back in control of the franchise.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-09-25/saban-brands-acquires-digimon-anime-franchise
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Huh. I kinda feel like a twit for what feels like the beta version of the boxset then :/

Not really a beta version. I emailed them about it and they simple said that they didn't have enough time to put caption on the DVDs at the time....Perhaps one of the reasons they released singles too. I guess they learned their lesson with 02 though. And as far as I know, Tamers also has caption.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

I highly doubt it with Saban back in control of the franchise.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-09-25/saban-brands-acquires-digimon-anime-franchise

So, was it Toei that had a hold of it in between rights, which allowed those subs to pop up?
Redlinks

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Holy shit, this was unexpected. I may pick up that first dub set... The Japanese one is a guarantee if it's not cancelled.

Now can we do this to Medarot, Digimon, Gash Bell, Pokémon...

Yea that would be awesome. If only they could do this with Sailor Moon, Sonic X, Shaman King, and Flint the Time Detective too. A rerelease of the Ocean dub of DBZ would be great also.
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
Going to mirror my post from Fandom Post on here.

I asked whether or not they'll be getting the Japanese or International master for the Japanese version. Hopefully they'll respond, since this is something I'm kinda curious about, especially since the International master has some modifications made to it (actual edits in the episode, but no censorship so to speak).

I don't work for Discotek, but I did talk with TMS about licensing and they have the original Japanese masters. The Dub release has been damaged because the various companies didn't care about damaging the tapes when they went through bankruptcy multiple times.
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Whoa, I remember someone on the forum years ago saying they were trying to make this happen. Here's the thread.

I'm not a huge fan of this show, but would totally buy a Medabots set if Discotek would license that.

I was never able to have time to get to licensing Monster Rancher, and I was worried about carrying multiple SKUs so I was trying to have releases with both Dub and Sub.

I'm just hoping that my calls out to the fans over the past six or so years helped show that there are still people who would buy the series. Very Happy

Anyways, Medabots Season 1 already was licensed and released on DVD, but nothing since then.
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I hope the dub sets will be the original BKN edits instead of the Fox Kids edits. The Fox Kids version cut out additional scenes to make room for more commercial time.

From my talks with TMS (I was too busy for my company to pick up the license), the dub will be the original English-language release. Think of the Canadian partially edited airing, and not whatever happened to the U.S. airing.
So basically, these will be the state of the episodes up on Hulu.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
AmishGramish, your company was trying to license Monster Rancher?
Primus

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
AmishGramish wrote:
Anyways, Medabots Season 1 already was licensed and released on DVD, but nothing since then.

The Shout! Factory set was released under license from Nelvana, and there's reason to believe that's expired.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
Holy crap. Very Happy Shocked Great job, Discotek. Now, if they could do this for Digimon seasons 1-4, I would get on my knees and bow to them.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Man talk about an oldie. I remember watching this and there was a quite a bit of love for it. Never thought I'd see this again. Well, if Digimon can get some love why not Monster Rancher.
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
SO excited for this, though I have to admit - their willingness to do a subtitled set alongside the dub ones really makes me wish they had gotten Digimon as well.

Would really love to see them pick up Medabots and Flint the Time Detective in the future too.

Let's not forget Shinzo, I'd love for that series to get licensed as well.

This is way better than BKN/Fox Kids/Fox Family/abc family edited version of Monster Rancher.

Jeikobu wrote:
If only they could release Pokemon. Digimon would also be nice. I want Japanese language! Of course, I don't think we'll ever see this happen, at least with Pokemon. Sad

The Pokemon: VIZ why you have to leave it in english and Cartoon Network since '06 add the freaking original japanese opening unlike Bleach.
The Digimon: see my recent post animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1190177&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

and finally

Medabots robattle sure. c'mon Saban and Discotek.

FireChick wrote:
Quote:
It would depend on if Disoctek could locate all of the episodes. In the US KidsWB edited the show further than Nelvana did, and skipped a bunch of episodes. The entirety of the show was aired in international markets in a less edited form.

Actually, as much as I love Discotek, I didn't have them in mind as a licensor for CCS. I was thinking this'd be more along the lines of FUNimation or Maiden Japan or Sentai Filmworks.

Sentai Filmworks/Maiden Japan yes
FUNIMATION hell no and block outside United States.
Cardcaptors Sakura is a better title than Cardcaptors glad it's not on Aniplex.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5