• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Evangelion Inspires Real Operation Yashima After Quake

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dagon123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
So by 2015, can I expect the real NERV organization to surface? (No joke here, lol)
nynextew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
So by 2015, can I expect the real NERV organization to surface? (No joke here, lol)

If it does, I'm kissing America goodbye!
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
This is really a pretty meaningless reference unless you're explicitly looking for it... Kind of like saying "Today in Yakushima, a serial killer boarded a train and killed three people. In the anime series Baccano, several killers board a transcontinental and begin killing people."

Haters gonna hate, that's for sure...

But who would remember something about Baccano? Nobody.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
nynextew wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:

If it does, I'm kissing America goodbye!

We'll have mass produced Augmented Reaction Suits by then, we'll be fine.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
BassKuroi wrote:
John Casey wrote:
This is really a pretty meaningless reference unless you're explicitly looking for it... Kind of like saying "Today in Yakushima, a serial killer boarded a train and killed three people. In the anime series Baccano, several killers board a transcontinental and begin killing people."

Firstly, now I'm a hater because I pointed out a...well, pointless reference? I'm honestly surprised a fantoid like yourself hasn't gone out and called me a troll yet. Y'know, for blaspheming and verbally soiling your Nerv Bible, like some heretic. Should I expect Gendo to pop out, and smite me with his Shiny-Glasses-Without-A-Light Source-Stare?

Secondly, again retorting on the "hater" part...name one time I actually said anything negative about Evangelion in here? Anime hyper In fact, name one time I ever said ANYTHING negative about that series on ANN.

Thirdly, Baccano was just an example. A metaphor. Taking it so seriously only helps further your own vanity.

Fourthly, whatever the case is, it appears that you're pissed off, but have no idea why really, or do, but you're painfully misguided. In short, you have no gorram clue what the frak you're talking about. Anime hyper Take your fanboyism somewhere else. This thread here is filled with adult stuff. Flies over your head and all.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
At least the Japanese have a good sense of humor, thinking of a reference to an anime in the midst of chaos and dangerous situations.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
The reference is most apt.

And it's not a meaningless reference. Evangelion is very popular in Japan, so a lot of people get the idea. The scene it's from is one of the most well known in anime.

The idea of conserving energy for the sake of the nation is the same. Here it's an earthquake, in the anime it was to defeat an alien. People get the comparison.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
BassKuroi wrote:
John Casey wrote:

Firstly, now I'm a hater because I pointed out a...well, pointless reference? I'm honestly surprised a fantoid like yourself hasn't gone out and called me a troll yet. Y'know, for blaspheming and verbally soiling your Nerv Bible, like some heretic. Should I expect Gendo to pop out, and smite me with his Shiny-Glasses-Without-A-Light Source-Stare?

Secondly, again retorting on the "hater" part...name one time I actually said anything negative about Evangelion in here? Anime hyper In fact, name one time I ever said ANYTHING negative about that series on ANN.

Thirdly, Baccano was just an example. A metaphor. Taking it so seriously only helps further your own vanity.

Fourthly, whatever the case is, it appears that you're pissed off, but have no idea why really, or do, but you're painfully misguided. In short, you have no gorram clue what the frak you're talking about. Anime hyper Take your fanboyism somewhere else. This thread here is filled with adult stuff. Flies over your head and all.

John, the problem is that you are always a hater and a troll.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
BassKuroi wrote:
John Casey wrote:

I'm surprised they didn't name something after One Piece consider the country is so obsessed with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bonsai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:42 am Reply with quote
A Crystalline Night Sky
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
so any plan named after a region that happens to be mentioned in an anime at some point will be considered a direct reference to that anime?

bit of a stretch there. just waiting for the headline tokyo 8.0 helps family get back together......
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
so any plan named after a region that happens to be mentioned in an anime at some point will be considered a direct reference to that anime?

bit of a stretch there. just waiting for the headline tokyo 8.0 helps family get back together......

It's not just the region, it is also the country wide effort to conserve electricity directing it to where it is most needed. It's no stretch at all. It's a deliberate name and reference.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:36 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:

It's not just the region, it is also the country wide effort to conserve electricity directing it to where it is most needed. It's no stretch at all. It's a deliberate name and reference.

yeah right! (cut back on your meds)
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I dunno. Would you really want a series where Japan and the world get destroyed by a self-centered prick to be your country's "mascot" during a genuine crisis?
hymnofvalefor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
Awesome, I wish I could help!
I knew the Eva's where with us!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2