• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best way to store/protect discs?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UsaraKa

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:56 am Reply with quote
I desperately need to organize/protect my Anime Blu-rays/DVDs/CDs. I currently own a little over 400 discs. I recently had one disc actually break when I removed it from the steelbook and another scratched when removing it from the digipack. I was thinking of ordering a couple of these case logic dvd cases from amazon http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-KSW-320-Capacity-Prosleeves/dp/B00025HIO4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1367740156&sr=8-4&keywords=case+logic+dvd. I'm looking for a relatively cheap solution that would make it easier to locate/organize my discs but I'm more worried about protecting the discs to ensure longevity. If you have any suggestions or advice I would appreciate it immensely. Thanks!
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:04 am Reply with quote
I have a big one very similar to that that I have used for a couple of years, and it seems great. No idea what happens to the plastic when it gets old, though.
SeigiNoSenshi

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I used to keep all of my DVDs in these wallets and had 5 total but you have to be careful of bad ones, I had a 400-something wallet from Office Depot and the zipper broke within a week which lead to finding out the hard way a couple months later that moving around an unsecured large amount of discs left ring-shaped scratches on a lot of the discs in the back.

I personally prefer the Memorex one I bought from Target a few years back, the cover was plush and sturdy, and the sheets inside were so smooth you could play Air Hockey with BD discs.

Eventually, I just bought a few DVD towers and set them up because I was sick of dealing with large stacks of DVD wallets I had and that the bad case did more damage than removing the discs from the boxes in the first place.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
The plastic cases they came in are really the best option I've found. I used to keep my CDs in those zipper wallets and they ended up getting all scratched, even though I was very careful with them. After I stopped doing that and just kept them in their cases, I started having less problems.

I have all my DVDs and BD in their original (or a similar replacement case because I broke the case) on shelves or in towers designed to hold them. All I can really say is that fragile things break and all you can really do is be careful and try to prevent it and if it does break, in most cases you can replace it. I have never actually broken a disc but I have had to replace a number of cases where I've broken the spindle that holds the disc or a swinging hinge.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
The polypropylenes and -styrenes that DVD cases, digipaks and jewelcases are made from just don't seem up to the engineering demands placed on them by the packaging designs. It's a whole sub-optimal blot on the modern world.
We should go back to the old-style artisanal digipaks in half-morocco with the tooled spines and turned mahogany DVD trays.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
if you are trying to preserve media you burned on discs yourself the most important thing is you start with good quality discs in the first place.

I know the 50 CDs for 4.99$ is tempting but I have literally seen CDs disintegrate and degrade before my very eyes. Cheap brands like imation, use them and toss them. If you want to preserve back ups store them in a nice cool cabinet in the CD jewel cases they come in.
Those 100 case folders with cloth inserts might not harm your discs, but leaving the case in your car or in direct sunlight over time absolutely will. That's fine though, just don't worry about keeping media forever.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
The polypropylenes and -styrenes that DVD cases, digipaks and jewelcases are made from just don't seem up to the engineering demands placed on them by the packaging designs. It's a whole sub-optimal blot on the modern world.
We should go back to the old-style artisanal digipaks in half-morocco with the tooled spines and turned mahogany DVD trays.

We need to go back back and use the Egyptians model: stone. Now they knew how to make things that lasted. 1 DVD = 1 grand pyramid, it shouldn't be too hard to build a robot scanner, zipping along to read the data encoded on the outside, in tiny, tiny print. Storage would be a problem as a multi disk set would cover the entire Valley of the Kings. But still, it'll last. For awhile, anyway.

Guess we'll just have to stick with plastic and tender loving care. For the record, none of my CDs, DVDs or BDs that are kept in their original plastic cases have scratches on them {though most used disks I've purchased have scratches on them. What do people do to them, try to play them on turntables?} Sleeve CD-roms are a whole different issue...

Steelbooks, digipacks? Wow, no, I just have the cheap plastic cases that you get with cheap plastic DVDs. {If a digipack's the same as a spindle case, I replaced those with cheap plastic multicases}. If you're worried about protecting your media, you're probably paying too much for it.

And this is from someone who tossed thousands of dollars of VHS tapes. Ahh, a media format that would regularly get ruined by the machine that played it, by heat, by sunlight, by time, by looking at it funny, now that's a classic format.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote
I use Vaultz CD cases.

Look good, decent price, and has a lock (to keep kids out).

After I move, I plan on getting the larger version.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:05 am Reply with quote
Ripping them to a hard drive provides another useful backup method.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
If you're looking to protect from scratches, it might be worth looking into something like d_skins(a snap-on affair that protects your disc even while it plays); I don't believe Blu-rays should be a problem in that department, since they have a tough-as-nails protective coating out of sheer necessity(a scratch could easily hit the data layer).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1