• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bebop movie

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReZZo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 1:41 am Reply with quote
Has anyone heard of a release date for 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door?
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Columbia is saying sometime this fall, but I suspect it'll be a bit later than that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gameraboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I got a DVD from some guy in Hong Kong off of eBay. Only $15 with shipping. Region 0 disc that plays anywhere, 5.1 japanese soundtrack with english subtitles. Really great quality too.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Gameraboy, I'm going to smack you. What'd The Answerman say about 15 dollar, regionless DVDs from Hong Kong? Eh?

B-O-O-T-L-E-G.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 1:06 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

Gameraboy, I'm going to smack you. What'd The Answerman say about 15 dollar, regionless DVDs from Hong Kong? Eh?

B-O-O-T-L-E-G.

That's right, buy American, er, lisened verison. I'm petty sure that US relesed will be better looking, sounding, and have all those nifty extra stuff that Otaku's love so much. Then there the English dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
gameraboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 6:08 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

B-O-O-T-L-E-G.

Yep! I do plan on buying the US version, but I have to wait almost a full year for that. This is a really fantastic transfer, the video quality is the same as the US DVD's, and the Japanese audio track really put my surround sound receiver to the test. I love the series' English dub, and if they pick up David Lucas et. al. I'll be sure to pick it up later.

I just didn't want to wait a year to see it. Twisted Evil
mike3560

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 11:25 am Reply with quote
Any word on whether the release will be subbed or dubbed?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 2:03 pm Reply with quote
mike3560 wrote:

Any word on whether the release will be subbed or dubbed?

Uhh... in the age of DVD, this question is pretty irrelevant. The DVDs will be both subtitled and dubbed. If there is a VHS release at all, it may just be dub only, since DVD ate most of the market for subtitled VHS, though since Cowboy Bebop is very popular (by anime standards) ther's an outside chance they'll do a sub VHS.

Theatrically, if Columbia/TriStar releases it the same way as Metropolis, it will be subbed in a handful of theatres (presumably only in the markets with large Japanese populations; i.e. NY, LA and San Francisco) and dubbed everywhere else. Though my use of the phrase "handful of theatres" for the subtitled version is somewhat misleading; Metropolis is only playing on 13 screens total, subbed or dubbed, so the screens playing the sub are a handful of a handful of theatres. Because of Cowboy Bebop's exposure on the Cartoon network, I anticipate that it will be released a little wider than Metropolis, but probably not more than a few dozen theatres.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 2:19 pm Reply with quote
The Cowboy Bebop movie is about at the top of anime films I hope they'll screen at FantAsia this year, though whether or not Columbia/TriStar will show it at this year's fest will probably depend on whether or not the dub will be ready by mid-July. Not that I'd complain if they'd show it subtitled, although I fully admit that the Cowboy Bebop dub is pretty much the "Gold Standard" to which I compare other dubs.

The only reason I can think why they wouldn't want to show it at FantAsia is that they don't show Cowboy Bebop on YTV or Teletoon (and CRTC rules prevent Canadian cable/DSS operators from carrying the Cartoon network), so it might not be as well known to Canadians as, say, Escaflowne, the film version of which was shown at FantAsia last year. But several people I know, who are not otherwise anime fans, seem to like Cowboy Bebop (they rent it or buy the DVDs), so I'd be very surprised if the FantAsia organizers aren't at least getting in touch with Columbia/TriStar in the hopes of securing a screening or two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mike3560

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I asked about whether or not it'll be subbed or dubbed because I was under the impression it would be released widescreen.

Guess I might be wrong.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 5:18 pm Reply with quote
mike3560 wrote:

I asked about whether or not it'll be subbed or dubbed because I was under the impression it would be released widescreen.

Guess I might be wrong.

By "widescreen", do you mean the theatrical release? "Widescreen" is a term used for televisions wider than the standard "Academy" ratio 1.33:1 or films on video/DVD that are either letterboxed or anamorphic. I'm guessing from the context that you meant "wide", which is the term for movies that open on many screens in each city in North America simultaneously, usually in the range of 2000-3000 screens, though some really big movies these days open on almost 4000 screens, and, to confuse you further, there is also now "limited wide" release for films that play on something like 500-1000 screens like the Royal Tenenbaums. Wide is the opposite of the "art house circuit", where a handful of prints, usually not more than a dozen, sometimes less, will circulate between cities, usually in smaller speciality theatres. Every major anime film released theatrically in North America, excluding film spin-offs of kiddy videogame-based "Monster" TV series, can be classified as "art house circuit".

Anyhow, the Cowboy Bebop movie will be shown theatrically in North America, but the size of the run has yet to be announced. I talked about this more in the second part of my response.

I wrote:

Theatrically, if Columbia/TriStar releases it the same way as Metropolis, it will be subbed in a handful of theatres (presumably only in the markets with large Japanese populations; i.e. NY, LA and San Francisco) and dubbed everywhere else. Though my use of the phrase "handful of theatres" for the subtitled version is somewhat misleading; Metropolis is only playing on 13 screens total, subbed or dubbed, so the screens playing the sub are a handful of a handful of theatres. Because of Cowboy Bebop's exposure on the Cartoon network, I anticipate that it will be released a little wider than Metropolis, but probably not more than a few dozen theatres.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I should add that my prediction that Cowboy Bebop film will be an art house circuit release is just conjecture based on

1) Columbia/TriStar's release of Metropolis, which only seems to be playing on 13 screens each weekend (though not always the same 13 screens; some of the prints are touring between the various art house cicuit whistlestops), and,

2) The fact, as I said before, that all previous domestic theatrical releases of anime (Pokemon and Digimon excluded) have been "art house circuit-only". Who knows, Cowboy Bebop may play on 5000 screens, and it would be pretty cool if it did, but it will be more likely that only a couple of dozen prints, at most, will tour the United States and Canada.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Good god, I'm sick of all this arthouse stuff. And Bebop is a comparitively mainstream action story, and I really do think it has a chance of succeeding in wide release.

Also, I keep hearing rumors of Metropolis eventually expanding into Tucson. Yay!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:27 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

Good god, I'm sick of all this arthouse stuff. And Bebop is a comparitively mainstream action story, and I really do think it has a chance of succeeding in wide release.

As I said, it would be cool if it was released wide, but I don't think that has any chance of happening whatsoever. Because of the built-in niche audience from the Adult Swim airings of the TV show, I would be willing to predict that Cowboy Bebop will open wider than Metropolis, but by "wider" I mean that I predict that they'll make a few dozen prints which will tour the country, as opposed to just the 13 prints they did for Metropolis. I doubt the specific division of Columbia/TriStar that handles anime films has the resources to do a wide release, and I'd imagine they're using the Box Office results from Metropolis, $446 810 as of last weekend (Source: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/2002/08.htm ) to gauge how big the market for "mature" animation in theatres is. The fact that Columbia/TriStar considers $450 000 to be successful indicates just how low their expectations were. I think the whole point of acquiring the rights to anime films was to make money off the DVD/video release; the limited theatrical run may be mainly just to promote the eventual DVD release and the $450 000 is just "gravy".

LordByronius wrote:

Also, I keep hearing rumors of Metropolis eventually expanding into Tucson. Yay!

It wouldn't technically be "expanding" into Tucson; it just means Tucson will be getting one of the 13 prints that have been touring the country for a few days after it's finished playing at a theatre in another city. (I know, nitpick, nitpick.)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

...but by "wider" I mean that I predict that they'll make a few dozen prints which will tour the country, as opposed to just the 13 prints they did for Metropolis.

Oh, pardon me, Studying the Box Office Mojo stats closely, I noticed that the number of screens the film was playing at this past weekend (13) was down by 3 from the previous weekend (for which boxofficemojo.com was unable to give a complete list for whatever reason). So the total number of prints for Metropolis would appear to be at least 16.

I could have just edited my previous post, but this pushes the number of my posts to an even 100! Three digits baby! Even more than GATSU has! Second only to Tempest, actually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2