• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Dark Sols: Prepare to Crowdfund Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Quote:
spoiler[The fact that Misato was hesitating to detonate the collar as Rei took him away is a pretty strong indication that she still cares for him, she's simply dealing with her anger over what happened.
As for Asuka, she says flat out that she had been grieving for him. Last I checked, she doesn't deal with her feelings well, and has always been especially hard on Shinji. The fact that he started Third Impact and then disappeared for 14 years? Yeah, she's gonna be pissed.]

spoiler[ I have to agree, I think Misato and Asuka still care about Shinji a lot as several moments throughout the movie bear out. I personally also really like the change they've gone through. They still have their issues, but they've grown up from the people they used to be in the second movie.

I think that worked fine for this movie, but I wonder if we're still going to get any incite to how they changed over the past fourteen years.]

DRWii wrote:
Quote:
After re-watching the film, I'm not so sure she's as nice as she seems.
spoiler[A) When Shinji complains about the DSS choker, she has a noticeably less "bright" look on her face and says there's "no way we're taking it off"
B) When Shinji says he'll pilot Unit 1, we see a close-up of her clenching her fist
C) Most noticeably, when Shinji is about to leave and she tells him not to pilot an Eva, she has a more stern look on her face and uses her natural dialect rather than the more "standard" Japanese she was using up to that point.
I figure this either means she's as distrusting as the others seem to be and is just trying to put up with it, or she's sincerely trying to be nice/understanding towards him but still harbors some negative feelings (there is the implication that Toji died as a result of Near-Third Impact).]

spoiler[Absolutely. There's something shady about her behavior, but there's no way to know yet what it stems from. Not only is she the nicest person to him at WILLE, she's the most enthused about him not piloting.

One of the things I really like about this movie that it does better than the TV series is show how disillusioned Shinji becomes about piloting the Eva. From beginning to end he has to learn about all the destruction he caused only to see Third impact happen again by his own hand. I think it's also one of the main points of the third movie to utterly crush his spirit, and make piloting Eva the very last thing he ever wants to do.

That's where Sakura comes in. Unlike the original series, this time he has someone more than happy for him to not pilot again, and to see to it that he never does. On the other hand there's something not right behind her motivations. There's no way to know what that is though, which makes her one of the more intriguing characters in this movie.]
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
NeySnow

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Anime Sols is utterly useless to me as a Brit.

I could be the guy who'd pay $1000 for a show but they'll never know. Region Locking, why do it? What little bit of brain in the dumbest Japanese licenser gets charged by such lunacy?

In order to open up to the UK we would have to go through all the UK ratings board and labeling for the DVDs, plus we would only produce NTSC DVDs, not PAL, plus we'd have to sign contracts with all the UK streaming and mechanical rights with the local music rights licensing associations which JASRAC has reciprocity agreements with (PRS for Music, MCPS, MRS). The ratings fee and royalty calculations alone adds significant cost per episode (a couple hundred dollars) which according to my calculations will not likely be made up with from UK support alone.
If there really were such a thing as "global" rights it would be easy, but everything has to be done per country when you deal with physical goods, which is the ultimate goal.
Plus our credit card service provider only handles US and Canadian cards...

If we were streaming/selling brand new shows where we actually controlled all rights including BGM rights globally from the start, a worldwide package strategy would be possible (like Gundam Unicorn, for example). However these classic shows need to go through the standard licensing for music rights of the BGM and opening and ending songs which are all managed by JASRAC and therefore must be dealt with on a per-country basis due to reciprocity agreements JASRAC has with local music rights organizations within each country.

Not to get too wonky on you, of course...

Note: If you really want to support a show because you want to collect the DVD, get a friend in the US to pledge and promise them you'll send them $1000 if the goal is reached.

I think if you ever were able to release titles in the UK. Most anime fans would prefer you not to do a PAL conversion, everything displays NTSC just fine these days.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:13 am Reply with quote
Zac is not happy about people complain about character design of Flower of Evil, then he turn around and complained about the character design of Attack on Titan. lol
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:58 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Zac is not happy about people complain about character design of Flower of Evil, then he turn around and complained about the character design of Attack on Titan. lol
You're honestly surprised by this?
Wolfe

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
While I generally enjoy listening to this podcast, I sometimes wonder why the hosts continue pursuing the hobby. I suspect it being a job has more to do with it than genuine enjoyment these days.

That said, I agree with the positive reception Zac has for Flowers of Evil. I think the rotoscopping is neat and something different.

As to Attack on Titan, I have really enjoyed the three episodes I've seen and do not find it unattractive in the least.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
So, I haven't watched Eva 3.0 yet (waiting for it to be brought to the US), but I do have a question based on what Zac was saying about this. And this may be a dumb question considering that the signs for this did exist in the earlier films so forgive me if it is. When I hear Zac so matter-of-factly tying this movie to End of Evangelion, am I supposed to take that as meaning these rebuild films are indeed a sequel following the events of End of Evangelion, and not just a mere reboot of the franchise?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, was showing all of spoiler[the End of Evangelion destruction on the landscape in 1.0 necessary if it was just going to be a red herring? I mean specifics like the band of blood across the moon and all that jazz.] Either there's a reason it was added, or Anno has no idea what he's doing.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
So, I haven't watched Eva 3.0 yet (waiting for it to be brought to the US), but I do have a question based on what Zac was saying about this. And this may be a dumb question considering that the signs for this did exist in the earlier films so forgive me if it is. When I hear Zac so matter-of-factly tying this movie to End of Evangelion, am I supposed to take that as meaning these rebuild films are indeed a sequel following the events of End of Evangelion, and not just a mere reboot of the franchise?

Nothing in the movie confirms or even particularly suggests that Rebuild has any direct connection to the TV series. That's still firmly in fan speculation territory.
NefariousPlatypus

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
So...I must have missed this, but when does AnimeSols' actual site go live? All I could find was their facebook page saying "coming soon."

Super excited about it. I just about choked on my bloody-mary when Aoi Blink was listed as one of the shows to be put up!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

Shitty animation isn't character design, but you're welcome to try again. lol
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
I watched Evangelion 3.33 for a third time, a third day in a row. It just keeps getting better. Each time I see it, I recognize a new, subtle aspect of it that clarifies the narrative and offers a new angle. I think it really is a brilliant film.

spoiler[Watching Misato hesitate to press the trigger and thinking of Shinji when Ritsuko tells her they can't pursue an awakened EVA Unit 13, gives subtle hints that she still cares about him. Likewise, Asuka punches the glass in front of Shinji, telling Mari she always intended to to hit him, yet admits before hand she couldn't hold back despite wanting to, revealing she still hides how much he means to her. On the flip side, Sakura's warm reception of him masks a deep anger she only shows when she clenches her fist.

The scene of Shinji and Kaworu gazing at the stars may be the most revealing one Anno has ever made. Kaworu interprets Shinji's attraction to the night sky as him preferring the vast, permanent world of space over the ever changing and uncertain one around him. In one scene the third movie quantifies his character and the struggle he's always faced.]

There's so many improvements on the original series. All the core elements remain, but in different forms that seem clearer as well as grounded in drama and character development. It leaves a lot of unanswered questions, but I'm all too eager to find out where this all goes. Until then, there's plenty more to still dig up in Evangelion 3.33.
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:07 am Reply with quote
I hope that Anime Sols is able to get Future Boy Conan. Now there's a title that I'd put down the $400 to help make a DVD/Blu-Ray release happen.

I've been kind of curious about the titles that they've announced so far, so I'll be watching.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote
brankoburcksen wrote:

spoiler[Watching Misato hesitate to press the trigger and thinking of Shinji when Ritsuko tells her they can't pursue an awakened EVA Unit 13, gives subtle hints that she still cares about him. ]

That was not "subtle".
agila61

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
I'm sorry but this is not good enough. I'm putting up and you're telling me to shut up.

Gotta walk before you run. This is just a demand that the real world instantly reorganize itself to comply with your wishes, when in the real world innovation is risky and takes time to prove itself.
OK then, if Anime Sols wants to pull the same bunkum that 90% of internet endeavors in regards to anime, locking out potential customers, then they're free to do so.

They, however, also waive the right to complain to selfsame when they don't succeed

That would seem to be knocking down a straw horse. You have any indication that Anime Sols is likely to blame UK anime fans if it fails?

Quote:
... or areas locked out of this otherwise fine idea are rife with non legitimate methods of proliferation.

You have any indication they are going to blame UK anime fans about that either?

Mind, If Anime Sols does not acquire the right to distribute in the UK, that doesn't mean that the original rights owners waive their rights to complain about rampant piracy in the UK or anywhere else ... but presuming that Anime Sols don't hold those rights, Anime Sols would, indeed, never have acquired the right to complain about piracy in those regions.

But let me see if I can work out the deeper structure of this "waive the right" game. If a "dinosaur killer" asteroid hits the earth and destroys our current industrial civilization, then since Anime Sols is not doing anything to prevent the earth from getting hit by a "dinosaur killer" asteroid, they waive the right to complain about having their business model destroyed by said asteroid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10