• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Dark Sols: Prepare to Crowdfund Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
While I love the book, I have my doubts as to how artfully F. Scott's vision will be adapted into a film. Too much of Gatsby's appeal is in Carraway's discerning introspections on the carefree and self-absorbed antics of upper class. Unless they utilize some sort of narration a la Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, I don't see any other way to effectually convey Caraway's feelings. But there are minds far more creative and artistically-inclined than my own, so perhaps they will think of some cinematic mechanism which I have yet to experience.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Emichan wrote:
Creamy Mami is the thing I'm looking forward to the most~~~ <3 <3 I love Mami. This year is her 30th anniversary celebration, and there have been all kinds of fun events and goods released in Japan to mark the event. <3 I've been a happy camper.

I'd also like to see Magical Emi licensed too... (and the other Pierrot magical girls)

I wonder if this Anime Sols has the ability to go for OVAs as well, or if it's just TV anime. OVAs seem like they'd be easier to fund, and there's still tons and tons of them that have either never been licensed or haven't been licensed in over a decade. In relation to Mami, that Magical Girl Quartet shouldn't be out of the question. And OVAs have the natural benefit of no dropoff sales like Zac described.
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been bothered by the pacing in "Flowers of Evil" at all. It seems perfectly fine to me, and I really think it helps set the mood. Then again, I'm probably not the best person to judge pacing; to use some Kubrick movies as an example, I couldn't stand how slow "2001" and especially "Barry Lyndon" were (the latter I had to watch in 4-5 sittings to get through it), but I had no problem with "Eyes Wide Shut."

As for summer movies, I'm kind of surprised they didn't mention "Pacific Rim."
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Attack on Titan is animated by Wit Studio (former members of Production I.G) and there was an article about how they needed more animators (but I also heard the manga art wasn't good at all). I believe Aku no Hana is now on vol. 2...after four episodes.

...Now I'm worried about the English Dub and the DVD of KOTS; I haven't received it yet but...damn it Sentai. (This is just speculation but, jeez) This is one of my favorite shows from 2012 and...oh no they're also dubbing Tsuritama and MGX. Anime cry

I should've known having too many licenses was a bad thing. I don't like how SF DVDs/BDs have little to no extras (Clean Opening/Ending? Really?) despite the originals having interviews and a whole bunch of stuff. Other than Croisee, there aren't many Sentai that I have bought which includes extras. Maybe I should start importing...

Anime Sols: Is it really that uncommon for producers or animation companies to come together? I mean, they don't have to since each company probably have their own agenda and such but, it was interesting to hear the unionity. For Creamy Mami, if it's possible to answer, does the Box Sets include the OVAs or just the TV series?

Out of curiosity:
Quote:
Eva 3.33 was my first exposure to Evangelion. I've never seen the show, nor have I seen the first two movies.

Why would anyone watch the sequel of a 4 part film series without seeing the first two films? It's like watching only the sixth Broken Blade film and wondering what the heck happened?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I thought 3.33 was a great film. I even liked the opening sequence and didn't mind the tech talk too much either (it was somewhat annoying, but tolerable). I think the hate is pouring from people who wanted a remake of the original and don't understand that rebuilt is a re-imagining (granted, the same story is basically being told--just in a different way)
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I have to ask, since Justin brought it up. Since Kids on the Slope is the 3rd disc that they've totally screwed the audio up on, what were the other two?

Kinda curious as I was going to be purchasing a couple of their sets in a few weeks & want to avoid getting stuff that was poorly mastered. Especially when they're saying they won't go back and fix the problems.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I really don't like that argument that fans dislike it because it's not just a re-imagining. It dosen't even make sense.

If there's any negative talk about 1.0 it's that it's almost too much of a frame by frame remake. The main postie sticking point is the addedd focus on Shinji and Rei's relationship which then leads into some of the changes in 2.22. People really like Shinji in the movies because of how much well "upbeat" he seems to be. What people to me seem to like about the movies are the changes it has.

So how about 3.0 is just a bad movie? A large part of it's plot seems kind of stupid and forced. Of course Shinji is going to leave the "good guys" because the good guys act incredibly stupid and seemed to not get the simple idea of "being duchy pushes people away". How about the idea that supporting cast of the movie is kind of lame. You have Asuka devolved into simple angry girl who just goes around calling Shinji and idiot. Or Mari who continue's to just be there with no point?

Oh you say it's got cool imagery? Well yeah, the movie looks great, but who cares? Who care's if all that imagery has no meaning? Who care's if it confusingly presents whatever it's supposed to? I mean in End of Eva all the apocalyptic imagery makes sense. A lot of the plot points happening have some actual base in what's been happening. Maybe I just did'nt pay attention, but so much of what happens in Eva 3.33 just seems so random and playing by whatever freaking rules in wants.

Again, the positive part of the movie is of course Shinji and his journey in this movie is pretty similar to the tv show. But I don't think that saves the movie at all.

But then again, I don't like the Re-build movies. They are far too over the top and feature the more annoying parts of Eva complete with an even newer character who spouts "mysterious" lines that are mysterious for the hell of it.

And well I would like the movies to have changes, play with my expectations. But it hasn't really outside of maybe Asuka's stuff in 2.22.

But, I'm reasonably sure those who seem to dislike this movie were actually fans of the other rebuild movies, especially 2nd one. And especially fans of the changes in Shinji. I'm also pretty sure the hype for the 3rd one was that is was going in a different direction. So no I don't think they are hating on 3.33 just because it's not a straight re-make. People hated on 1.111111111111111 because of that, not praised it.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Fri May 03, 2013 9:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
As far as the Flowers of Evil OP is concerned, Justin is right that the first three episodes are the Kasuga version of the opening, while the forth episode starts the Nakamura version. From what I've checked, it's not the characters' voice actors actually singing them, but they do change the singer.
cheetahpretty

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Why would anyone watch the sequel of a 4 part film series without seeing the first two films? It's like watching only the sixth Broken Blade film and wondering what the heck happened?

My anime club showed it during their end of semester marathon.
CommonHorse

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
As of right now I'm not too excited about the currently announced titles. However, I'm super pumped about Anime Sols itself and the potential of maybe getting titles like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Future Boy Conan, Touch and Yawara to some Maasaki Yuasa shows like Kaiba and Tatami Galaxy. A rerelease for shows like Kimagure Orange Road, Maison Ikkoku and Urusei Yatsura would be icing on the cake.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Anime Sols sounds like a good idea, so I hope it works out, but there's nothing that really grabs me. Maybe that will change once some shows start streaming.
In regards to the concern over shows dropping off, I'm curious if there's any roll over of funds from one 'kickstarter' for another. If it's $15-25k and all 1,000 volumes sell for $40 each (or more for higher levels) that's over $40k. If the next volume is short of the goal, will some of those funds be applied to help the next volume or does each volume stand on it's own?
hg revolution

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I've only watched the first two episodes of Attack on Titan so far, but I thought the animation was mostly very good. Am I crazy for thinking this?

Also, how does the time-skip 14 years in 3.33 work when the characters all seem to be the same age? If there's not a clever explanation for that, that sort of detail seems like a reason people might hate it.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Evangelion 3.33: Nobody Seems To [Like] This Movie!

I think more suitable would be:
"Evangelion 3.33: Nobody Seems To [Not] Like This Movie! "

Without the [Like] the sentence falls apart.

I'm still trying to force myself through the original series. Although had I seen it 15 years ago when there wasn't so much anime around I probably would have liked it more. But back then, I liked Harmageddon and a whole slew of other films that were aired here that are now considered bad.
xScar

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
hg revolution wrote:
I've only watched the first two episodes of Attack on Titan so far, but I thought the animation was mostly very good. Am I crazy for thinking this?

Also, how does the time-skip 14 years in 3.33 work when the characters all seem to be the same age? If there's not a clever explanation for that, that sort of detail seems like a reason people might hate it.

If you didn't notice it in the first few episodes, watch episode four. It's much, much more noticable.

Also, about Eva:
spoiler[
The pilots look the same age because of the "curse of the Eva." Everyone else has aged.]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

spoiler[It only effects the Eva pilots and Kaworu wasn't human in the first place.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10