• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Dark Sols: Prepare to Crowdfund Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:09 am Reply with quote
Just chiming in with my appreciation that Zac and Justin brought up Sentai's QC problems. I completely buy Zac's "high volume - skeleton staff" speculation. It sucks because they do have so many titles I want. I especially despise their "reaction" when these problems are brought forward: shoulder-shrug. Clearly they take very little pride in what they put out.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:15 am Reply with quote
So... I take it I'm the only person who isn't bothered by Titan's "cheap" animation? Yeah, they use a shitload of stills, but the artstyle is pretty cool and fitting, and the story and characters are interesting enough for me not to care about the studio cutting corners to save money -and my eye is not half as trained as everyone else's seems to be, since the only "cheap" thing I've noticed is the overuse of stills.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:51 am Reply with quote
Even if the drop off will not be as much as with a manga series, ~ where someone who was disappointed about something in Vol1 might not stick around for Vol2 ~ there will still be churn.

So it seems like one issue with longer series regarding the potential for drop off will be that people in the drop off side of the churn ~ unexpected drop in income, loss of time for a hobby, getting enthusiastic about a different hobby ~ and people in the pick-up side of the churn. And those entering late will want to get the earlier box sets, some of which will have been sold to those in the drop-off side of the churn. That may put a crimp on the ability to add late pick-ups, especially since streaming access to the earlier episodes is going to expire eventually.

Now, in practice that may be covered by a likelihood for high end support to drop off over the volumes, since if the earlier volumes are more likely to have made more of its target through premium supporters, they will end up with more DVD's in inventory after making their target. But whether or not that will be enough to compensate for the problem of churn with a fixed production run target, only time will tell.

So I was wondering if there has been any thought given to including a DTO option? Even as an Overtime and later option (since additional royalties would be due on DTO). Re-mastering as single layer and selling earlier volumes as Video on Demand might not be a viable means of keeping titles in print, but given that streaming access to the earlier episodes will expire, DTO of the volumes that are OOP is one way to encourage pick-up of later volumes by new supporters.

samuelp wrote:
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Thanks for all the great info, Sam. Sorry if this has already been answered but what are going to be the methods of payment?

We accept all major credit cards
So far we don't have paypal or other forms of electronic payment since it's difficult to verify info and then charge more than a few weeks later.

Could you perhaps use paypal or other forms of electronic payment for Overtime?
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:37 am Reply with quote
The problem with Anime Sols is that while I can possibly see a few hundred people who want to watch the old titles(If only because they're old) and paying handsome sums for the rights to own them, these people aren't going to be able to throw out these kind of sums every week. You'd probably need to only bring in like 1 new title a month for it to actually be sustainable.
Set1229

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:40 am Reply with quote
I am wondering if Anime Sols will take requests. In my case, I heard the original Casshan was really, really good.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:

No, it's just a movie of nearly everyone emptying their bowels onto Shinji's face in a massive hate-dump.

If you knew someone was the catalyst to the apocalypse, and said apocalypse pretty much DID happen, I don't think the average person would be on good terms with there first meeting face to face considering the survivors had been in a living hell for 14 years.

Point being, people being pissed at Shinji is NOT a failing of the story, they had every right to be even if the film had taken place immideatly after the events of the second film or the time skip that does occur as the third film presents.
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quote
Sentai: REALLY?! REALLY?!

Mawaru Penguindrum and Kids on the Slope were two of my favorite anime that I've seen recently. I can't believe they managed to f### up both so badly!! I recently bought the Mawaru Penguindrum DVDs (haven't had a chance to watch them yet), and now I feel like I just wasted my money. I was excited to get Kids on the Slope, but I think I might just not buy it now.

And, what's worse, is that Sentai KEEPS buying anime that I like! Tsuritama is set to come out in the summer, and now I'm terrified to see what they will do to it.

If only Funimation would stop picking up ecchi titles, and start going for some of the real gems in anime, then Sentai wouldn't keep gobbling them up and s###ing product out.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Roxas4ever wrote:
Mawaru Penguindrum and Kids on the Slope were two of my favorite anime that I've seen recently. I can't believe they managed to f### up both so badly!! I recently bought the Mawaru Penguindrum DVDs (haven't had a chance to watch them yet), and now I feel like I just wasted my money. I was excited to get Kids on the Slope, but I think I might just not buy it now.

I own both Penguindrum and Kids on the Slope. I already watched them and to tell you the truth, they do not look or sound as bad as Justin says. The picture quality in Penguindrum looked good to me. The dub was fine; it had to or three hiccups, but it does not hurt the experience IMO.

I did not even notice the audio issues in episode 11 of Kids on the Slope, but it is a problem that should not have occurred. The rest of the audio in Kids on the Slope sounded fine to me, and the video quality seemed good. I did not get a chance to hear the dub, but I trust Zac's opinion on it.

I am probably not a very picky costumer, so I am more disappointed with Sentai rather than enraged. I also look at it this way: I rather pay $50 for a slightly crappy product I can understand (with the inclusion of subs and a dub) rather than importing the sames series for $400, which may not even be subtitled.

The bottom line is that if you are not that bothered by Sentai's technical issues, do not feel descouraged and continue to support their products. Of course, you can also stop buying from Sentai to show your discontent.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I'll chime in agreement that I don't think the art in Attack on Titan looks bad, not at all from my standpoint (I've watched the first three episodes so far anyways). I actually think it's very well done, and the really fantastic sequences are excellently realized.

That isn't to say I'm sold on the series quite yet. I enjoyed the first two episodes because I felt like I could mostly take them seriously (save for a few moments that felt melodramatic), but the third episode felt like a backwards step into shonen action territory. It kind of felt like Naruto, what with the group of teenage kids, 'amusing' character interactions and the training. Still, despite all that it seems like an entertaining show all the same, and I look forward to seeing how it plays out for the rest of the season.

And I'm really enjoying Flowers of Evil so far too. I'm surprised people feel the pacing is slow, which is something I haven't felt so far (I kind of feel like the pace is just right). Anyways, I've watched a few live action series in the past, and it does remind me of those sorts of shows more than anime (though I think as an anime, I'm less reminded that I'm watching actors performing a role). The only problem I have with the show is that I can't say the plot has surprised me yet, even when spoiler[Nakamura forces Kasuga to wear Saeki's gym uniform]. The characters are acting in the ways I sort of expected they would, and the plot is progressing in directions I was thinking it would, so I'm holding my breath that things will eventually turn into uncharted waters. One thing I can definitely agree with is that I'm really looking forward to the next episode when it releases, because the show does a good job of keeping you on the edge of your seat to see what happens next.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
SwerveCity wrote:
The problem with Anime Sols is that while I can possibly see a few hundred people who want to watch the old titles(If only because they're old) and paying handsome sums for the rights to own them, these people aren't going to be able to throw out these kind of sums every week. You'd probably need to only bring in like 1 new title a month for it to actually be sustainable.

If they have a new episode up each day, with each series rolling out a new episode once a week, and the first ones are mostly a mix of half year and year long series, then 7 series up simultaneously would be about one new series a month.

And they'll be getting pretty direct and immediate feedback on which series are making their target quickly and which are struggling, so hitting the correct pace seems like mostly a matter of paying attention to what's happening as it happens.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
After listening to the full interview I have to say I'm not particularly optimistic about Anime Sols' chances even though I think it's a great idea in theory. The amount of money required for the box sets to go forward seems pretty steep for the kinds of shows they're putting up. If they had something like Legend of The Galactic HeroesI could see at least a few sets making it, but Creamy Mami and Yatterman? Is there really a significant fanbase for shows like that?
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
chronoclast wrote:
K-On Season 2 Part 1 - JP track of episode 11 has the same audio problem as Kids
I have the first pressing of this disc, but I watched the dub since I had already watched the sub. I just scanned through episode 11 of the Japanese track, but it certainly doesn't have the same issue as KotS with there only being audio coming from the left channel the entire time. Are you sure it was that episode?
_V_

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I supposed some might expect me to say something about Rebuild of Eva 3.0.

.....This isn't what they were teasing even in Rebuild of Eva 2.0, it seems their ideas for the Rebuild continuity are in flux all the time, which is unsurprising given how Gainax has described their creative process.

It wasn't jarring because it was different, I guess the biggest problem is that it wasn't clear how it all tied in with what Rebuild of Eva 2.0 was setting up (i.e. Mari stuff).

....I missed much of the afterglow for Rebuild 2 due to spending 2011 with pneumonia, and 2012 trying to reassemble my academic career after losing a year's worth of time. Since then, it's been one weird report after another about Rebuild 3.

I am openly surprised that it didn't focus that much on the next Rei clone, given that Tsurmaki made such a big issue about that he would *only* work on Rebuild of Eva if they got to give her more focus.

They practically sidelined Asuka; simply based on pure screentime. I thought we'd get more backstory for her by this point.

In short, my reaction to Rebuild 3?

"My interest in Evangelion is dead."

Last edited by _V_ on Sat May 04, 2013 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Oh good, so we'll never have to hear your opinion on that series ever again, for the rest of your internet life. There's no way you were being facetious.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
After listening to the full interview I have to say I'm not particularly optimistic about Anime Sols' chances even though I think it's a great idea in theory. The amount of money required for the box sets to go forward seems pretty steep for the kinds of shows they're putting up. If they had something like Legend of The Galactic HeroesI could see at least a few sets making it, but Creamy Mami and Yatterman? Is there really a significant fanbase for shows like that?

So, if the target is $20,000 and the price for a box set is $40, then they need 500 people to sign up for regular box sets to hit the target?

Well, the way the thing works is we'll see if there are 500 people like that for any of these titles. It seems awfully likely the Tezuka movies will hit their targets,

That's the good thing about the effort, of course ~ rather than pointless arguments whether or not it can work, it'll be tried, and we'll see whether or not it will work. I wouldn't be surprised if it does ~ I recall five years ago reading quite impassioned analyses about how and why Crunchyroll would fail, yet when it was tried, they ended up succeeding.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10