• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Dark Sols: Prepare to Crowdfund Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Covnam wrote:
In regards to the concern over shows dropping off, I'm curious if there's any roll over of funds from one 'kickstarter' for another. If it's $15-25k and all 1,000 volumes sell for $40 each (or more for higher levels) that's over $40k. If the next volume is short of the goal, will some of those funds be applied to help the next volume or does each volume stand on it's own?

Yes, that's correct: The goals for the later sets will be lower than the goal for the initial set because of this and lower upfront production costs.

So is it possible (for example) in the case of a 26 episode series for the founding of the first 13 episode boxset to be successful enough to mean that the 2nd boxset is guaranteed?

penguintruth wrote:
The biggest problem with 3.33 is that despite it's immense action pieces, it's actually a very small movie. The only character that you couldn't take out of this movie is Shinji. And probably Kaworu. The other characters are completely interchangeable. Asuka, Mari, Misato, Ritsuko, Rei, everyone else is pretty much just scenery. They add nothing to the story. I don't think Asuka gets any more than five or six lines the entire movie, and all of them short.

That's a good point, thinking about it now nearly the entire cast other than Shinji could have been lost 14 years prior and nothing really would have changed. spoiler[Well, I suppose that someone other than Misato would have probably blown Shinji up though.] Considering all the hype with Mari for the second movie, you'd think they would have done more with her in this one.

At least it should be interesting to see how 4 should turn out.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Having just seen Eva 3.33 (like, literally, finished it 2 hours ago) I've got to say I'm middleground about it. I didn't really dislike it, like I did 1.11 which was a carbon copy of the series and only brought the amazing redesign of the Third Angel to the table -, and didn't absolutely love it like I did 2.22. Like others have pointed out (heavy spoilers ahead)

spoiler[This movie is mostly about Shinji. It can be viewed as a good point because we see him in the deepest of his despair, and how he tries to climb out of it, only to be kicked down to the bottom pit again -something many find annoying, but I find compelling in how it shows the main character as unheroic and inglorious in his struggle to save the world-]

On the other part it suffers because spoiler[all the other characters, except for Kaworu, are like... just there. Misato has like 3 lines in all the movie and none of them of importance. With the time-skip we get a whole new crew under Misato's command, plus the well-known members who have gained new positions, but none of this is explored upon. Rei suffers a major setback and it's like 2.22 never happened -I suppose this would be explained in the last movie, since they hinted at something here, but like everything else, it was just there and I couldn't bring myself to care for Rei figuring out her personality for the millionth time. There's Asuka and Mari -the latter's existence I've questioned since 2.22 since she just seems to be there to sell figures and contribute nothing to the story- Asuka gave me this kind of different feeling, but they never really went any deeper into it.]

Visually spoiler[it's a fantastic extravaganzza of EVAs and blood and the world ending over and over and over,] I have no problems there.

The thing that stroke me the worst about this movie though, spoiler[was Kaworu's death. I thought a turning point for Shinji in the series, was being forced to kill Kaworu, and the guilt and despair that overcomes him afterwards for murdering the one person that seemed to understand him and in whom he could trust. Especially since -both in the series and in this movie- Kaworu shows up at a time in which Shinji is the most lonely and confused. But here, instead of having Shinji kill him, Kaworu self-destructs, and I felt it defeated the purpose of his death]

I rated it Very Good, though closer to Good than to Excellent. The last half hour was a shitload of confusion that looked pretty amazing, but I wish they'd explained a lot more stuff since I'm not really sure I understood what happened. There was not enough talking and too much theworld'sendingrightNAO
SoandSo

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The biggest problem with 3.33 is that despite it's immense action pieces, it's actually a very small movie. The only character that you couldn't take out of this movie is Shinji. And probably Kaworu. The other characters are completely interchangeable. Asuka, Mari, Misato, Ritsuko, Rei, everyone else is pretty much just scenery. They add nothing to the story. I don't think Asuka gets any more than five or six lines the entire movie, and all of them short.

All the big, wiggy visuals feel just sort of there. Nothing feels like anything significant is occurring. It's very "eh, been there, done that". The second movie completely blows this one away in visuals, themes, and plot. This doesn't build on that story, it deflates it, if anything.

I actually agree with a lot of these points, but I quite enjoyed the film, largely because I feel everything you point out is basically the whole point.

To sum up what I think the story might be saying, in the broadest sense anyway,as simply as I possibly can without spoiling anything; spoiler[Dude just can't win.] 3.33 may very well be even more spiteful of its audience than End.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

The thing that stroke me the worst about this movie though, spoiler[was Kaworu's death. I thought a turning point for Shinji in the series, was being forced to kill Kaworu, and the guilt and despair that overcomes him afterwards for murdering the one person that seemed to understand him and in whom he could trust. Especially since -both in the series and in this movie- Kaworu shows up at a time in which Shinji is the most lonely and confused. But here, instead of having Shinji kill him, Kaworu self-destructs, and I felt it defeated the purpose of his death]

Was there any reason as to why spoiler[he put the collar on himself instead of just leaving it off? Was it going to self destruct if he left it off (not that there weren't plenty of places to toss it, but one thing at a time...)? It just seems like they felt that they had to kill him again, but couldn't decide on a good reason, so they just added this pointless Deadman Wonderland collar to kill him.] The only thing I can think of spoiler[is that there's supposed to be some meaning in having Kaworu so close but unable to be saved by Shinji.]
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
^ Yeah, I wonder about that too. (heavy spoilers on Eva 3.33) spoiler[I think it was meant to represent Kaworu taking on Shinji's burden and dying in his stead, like Shinji was meant to die or something but Kaworu took it on him to save him, but one does have to wonder if it wasn't easier to just discard it. I hadn't considered your point -being so close, yet so powerless- but at the moment, it just felt like they went for the visual impact of Kaworu's blood exploding right on Shinji's face. Since I'm probably one of the very few people who doesn't hate Shinji, I was kind of mad that such a vital plot point for his development as a character was changed like that]
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
After listening to the full interview I have to say I'm not particularly optimistic about Anime Sols' chances even though I think it's a great idea in theory. The amount of money required for the box sets to go forward seems pretty steep for the kinds of shows they're putting up. If they had something like Legend of The Galactic HeroesI could see at least a few sets making it, but Creamy Mami and Yatterman? Is there really a significant fanbase for shows like that?

Well there probably is like 50 people who would spend $400 for either of those titles. So thats the $20k right there. The thing is finding them and getting them to do it for every box set.

The money is probably there, its just keeping the enthusiasm up and finding the people.

The big problem with the western anime industry is the oversupply. We are in a weird spot were we have probably a few 1000 collectors who'd spend as much money as possible to actually own the stuff and 100ks of people who don't want to spend any/much money at all.

Demand and supply are way off at the moment because of this divergence and we are going to see prices get hiked and supply reduced to account for this for the physical product. While subscriber stuff like crunchyroll will (hopefully) become much more popular.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:35 am Reply with quote
Anime Sols is utterly useless to me as a Brit.

I could be the guy who'd pay $1000 for a show but they'll never know. Region Locking, why do it? What little bit of brain in the dumbest Japanese licenser gets charged by such lunacy?
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:37 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I own both Penguindrum and Kids on the Slope. I already watched them and to tell you the truth, they do not look or sound as bad as Justin says. The picture quality in Penguindrum looked good to me. The dub was fine; it had to or three hiccups, but it does not hurt the experience IMO.

I did not even notice the audio issues in episode 11 of Kids on the Slope, but it is a problem that should not have occurred. The rest of the audio in Kids on the Slope sounded fine to me, and the video quality seemed good. I did not get a chance to hear the dub, but I trust Zac's opinion on it.

I am probably not a very picky costumer, so I am more disappointed with Sentai rather than enraged. I also look at it this way: I rather pay $50 for a slightly crappy product I can understand (with the inclusion of subs and a dub) rather than importing the sames series for $400, which may not even be subtitled.

The bottom line is that if you are not that bothered by Sentai's technical issues, do not feel descouraged and continue to support their products. Of course, you can also stop buying from Sentai to show your discontent.

Really? Hopefully that's a sign that some discs aren't hit as badly as others and/or maybe I won't notice the problems either.

I've been buying a lot from Sentai lately (because, like I said, they keep picking up titles I want). I think what I'm going to have to do is sit down, watch through each of the titles, look for any problems, and from there decide how I want to approach the situation. If the quality really is as poor as I've been hearing, though, I will discontinue supporting Sentai with my money. They need to learn to listen to their customers, and, if our words alone don't get their attention, maybe a drop in their revenue will.
Quark

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
^ Yeah, I wonder about that too. (heavy spoilers on Eva 3.33) spoiler[I think it was meant to represent Kaworu taking on Shinji's burden and dying in his stead, like Shinji was meant to die or something but Kaworu took it on him to save him, but one does have to wonder if it wasn't easier to just discard it. I hadn't considered your point -being so close, yet so powerless- but at the moment, it just felt like they went for the visual impact of Kaworu's blood exploding right on Shinji's face. Since I'm probably one of the very few people who doesn't hate Shinji, I was kind of mad that such a vital plot point for his development as a character was changed like that]

spoiler[Admittedly, I'm clinging to the idea that this is a continuation of the TV series, so bear with me. It seems like Kaworu has some knowledge of things that have happened previously, and remember that in the TV series he was willing to give his life to save the Lilim. It's possible that he took the collar because he might have had a hunch that things won't work out the way that he's hoping. Considering how strongly he cares for Shinji, it makes sense that he'd rather self-destruct than have to put that responsibility on Shinji's shoulders again.
I also think that Shinji is now in the same place that he was in the TV series. After he killed Kaworu in the TV series, he was completely hopeless and lost his will to live. I think he's at this same place in the Rebuild movies. Having to choose to murder the only person he felt he could trust was devastating, but so is having to powerlessly watch as that person kills himself as a direct result of a choice that he had made.]
agila61

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
The one thing about anime sols I was wondering what if people initially pledge money for said show and then change their minds. What happens are they still billed and tough luck or can people back out?

Its likely to be tough luck. Signing up to fund a series is a commitment. If you are one of those people who change their mind from one week to another, wait until its real close to the target or the last week of the target raising period to make your commitment.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:00 pm Reply with quote
On Kaoru in 3.33:

spoiler[I think the reason he took the collar instead of throwing it away was so he could do exactly what he did in the event of something going horribly wrong. Eva-13 required two souls to operate, and by taking out himself, he would be able to shut it down in a worst-case scenario. At least he seemed to think so -- it didn't completely shut down until Mari force-ejected Shinji from it as well.]

I really like the film, but there's a ton of stuff that's left unexplained, and I really hope the last movie is able to pull it all together. It feels like another movie is missing between this one and 2.22. I mean, spoiler[you've got Lilith in the state she's in...the giant eyeless Yui-head in the old Nerv control room...Eva-6 impaled on a spear...skulls the size of helicopters]...whatever happened down there didn't happen in 2.22; we missed it. For now, I'll enjoy 3.33 for what it was and give Anno the benefit of the doubt.

Also, I loved the soundtrack, and was really glad that the CD that came with the import was a proper OST with BGM and the closing song. Glad I held off on any CD purchases.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Anime Sols is utterly useless to me as a Brit.

I could be the guy who'd pay $1000 for a show but they'll never know. Region Locking, why do it? What little bit of brain in the dumbest Japanese licenser gets charged by such lunacy?

In order to open up to the UK we would have to go through all the UK ratings board and labeling for the DVDs, plus we would only produce NTSC DVDs, not PAL, plus we'd have to sign contracts with all the UK streaming and mechanical rights with the local music rights licensing associations which JASRAC has reciprocity agreements with (PRS for Music, MCPS, MRS). The ratings fee and royalty calculations alone adds significant cost per episode (a couple hundred dollars) which according to my calculations will not likely be made up with from UK support alone.
If there really were such a thing as "global" rights it would be easy, but everything has to be done per country when you deal with physical goods, which is the ultimate goal.
Plus our credit card service provider only handles US and Canadian cards...

If we were streaming/selling brand new shows where we actually controlled all rights including BGM rights globally from the start, a worldwide package strategy would be possible (like Gundam Unicorn, for example). However these classic shows need to go through the standard licensing for music rights of the BGM and opening and ending songs which are all managed by JASRAC and therefore must be dealt with on a per-country basis due to reciprocity agreements JASRAC has with local music rights organizations within each country.

Not to get too wonky on you, of course...

Note: If you really want to support a show because you want to collect the DVD, get a friend in the US to pledge and promise them you'll send them $1000 if the goal is reached.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
That is the biggest load of out of touch, "Let them eat cake" rhetoric I've ever heard.

"Get a friend in the US..." jesus tapdancing H christ on a bike off the springfield gorge.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
That is the biggest load of out of touch, "Let them eat cake" rhetoric I've ever heard.

Though its neither out of touch nor rhetoric. The problem is rather that its an in-touch, pragmatic description of the issues that arise with these kind of old anime.

it should be no surprise that their licensing in the 1980's and 1990's was never set up with an eye to the opportunities that might arise later on in this decade, twenty to thirty years in the future.

samuelp wrote:
In order to open up to the UK we would have to go through all the UK ratings board and labeling for the DVDs, plus we would only produce NTSC DVDs, not PAL, plus we'd have to sign contracts with all the UK streaming and mechanical rights with the local music rights licensing associations which JASRAC has reciprocity agreements with (PRS for Music, MCPS, MRS). The ratings fee and royalty calculations alone adds significant cost per episode (a couple hundred dollars) which according to my calculations will not likely be made up with from UK support alone.

Though of course, the same "put up or shut up" approach taken to the main release could be taken to additional costs of a UK release ... compute the costs, set a target, do the UK release if it hits the target. That's something to seriously consider in a year's time of the Anime Sols experiment works out.

Last edited by agila61 on Sun May 05, 2013 4:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I like how Zac compliments the janky rotoscoping in Aku no Hana but then talks trash about the animation in Attack on Titan. You're so funny, Zac. And just to show I'm not bias, I'm also enjoying Aku no Hana very much, but the protagonist pisses me off so much. I never thought someone could be THAT worse than Shinji. I really hope he grows some balls and gives that crazy girl a reality check.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10