• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2005 6th Comic Exhibition @ Taipei, Taiwan [2005-09-01]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:10 pm Reply with quote
ladholyman wrote:
animate Taipei...

Next summer when I go back, I shall frequent that place.

It has a large collection of manga, anime, artbooks, collectables, etc., including rare items e.g. licensed Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko, imported Emma, and many yaoi titles. It also offers importing service directly from Japan.

Yet somehow I feel the atmosphere is not quite right for me. Confused

Then I found the reason: it's very mainstream. Although its size enabled it to support more niched items, the store still focus on popular shounen titles (e.g. Keroro and FMA), and most of its customers are girls who'd yell "Kyaa! Kawaii!" when they saw a Keroro plushie. The dialogue I overheard between customers in the anime aisle were mostly "What title is this? Is it good?" Rolling Eyes

In contrast, I made a new friend instantly by initiating a discussion comparing TV and movie versions of Air at another ACG collectables store nearby filled with signing boards (including one by Kousuke Fujishima and is NOT FOR SALE) and collectables of lesser-known but highly popular series e.g. MariMite.

Allow me to summerize with quote from Keiko Sasahara of Genshiken: "Don't show me something mainstream. Show me something reeks otakuness." Mr. Green

Ack, enough rambling. Anyone else has something to say about the convention? Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow Dormcat, that's a lot of signed pictures...
Quote:
when I was in elementary school I was THE manga lover at my school
Really? The manga section in Japan is huge, but I guess it all depends...
*stares at Pink Hanamori's picture* I actually thought it was Arina Tanimura at first.
Quote:
This was the first time in my life I've witnessed and experienced the fanatic power of fangirls in person. The entire stage area was literally cramped with people, mostly girls! Minagawa-san and Kaida-san came out from backstage. The roar of fangirls was deafening.
That's just unsettling. One of my friends is a huge fan of Kouga, from Inu-Yasha (what's so good about him?), and another classmate is a Kakashi (Naruto) fangirl. Kinda scary, really, since Kakashi is...at least 30. I get what you mean, on smaller scale.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:09 am Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Really? The manga section in Japan is huge, but I guess it all depends...

Kobayashi-sensei meant he love manga than anyone else in his elementary school years.

.Sy wrote:
*stares at Pink Hanamori's picture* I actually thought it was Arina Tanimura at first.

Arina Tanemura? Not quite.

Quote:
I get what you mean, on smaller scale.

I disagree. Anime smile + sweatdrop Fans of The Prince of Tennis are mostly female, thanks to the big array of bishounen to choose from. Fans love the character and love how seiyuu portray their favorite character, but I don't think there are many fans fall in love with seiyuu in a personal manner (although I do know some fans love seiyuu more than their characters Anime smile + sweatdrop ).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:40 am Reply with quote
Speaking of The Prince of Tennis: Top-Insight International has provided a complete transcript and recording of interview with Junko Minagawa and Yuki Kaida, which is more complete than my report (my digital recorder ran out of memory at that time Anime catgrin + sweatdrop ).
kaizerfloyd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
when is the convention? July?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
kaizerfloyd wrote:

Every mid-August.

Gawd you dig up a 3-year-old thread just for this?
kaizerfloyd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
kaizerfloyd wrote:

Every mid-August.

yeah, pretty much. I made a user for this question.

Thanks for the information.
kaizerfloyd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
kaizerfloyd wrote:

Every mid-August.

yeah, pretty much. I made a user for this question.

Thanks for the information.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2