• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Why Did This Come Out?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
I'm geninuely amazed Eiken is nowhere on this list. I mean that's one show where you REALLY have to question why it was brought over and who it was for. Even people who generally like fanservice shows found it disgusting and it's incredible that it was not only brought over but dubbed too.

There's also a contingent of fanservice fans who dislike it because it's a massive waste of effort. All that chest for absolutely no payoff. It's a good thing we have directors like Hiraku Kaneko who understand that shit doesn't fly anymore, so he purposefully adds even more nudity than what was originally there. Truly, a visionary. Actually, this is why I was bored as hell with Senran Kagura.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I'll speak up in defense of sola. I even have a douga and the soundtrack from it (it began with an absolutely lovely song --- not the OP, just an insert song). That said, I only considered buying the DVDs, and never followed through.
foxinthestars

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I've actually seen Detatok-o Princess (under the title Suddenly Princess), The Samurai, and Tattoon Master. Wouldn't say any of them were really...

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
...a boring or uninteresting 40 minute OVA leaves even less of an impression and will only be recalled if you add it to some OCD anime list...

::blinkblink:: Um, yeah, that literally is why I remembered having seen those... Embarassed

Since it was mentioned, I will admit to a soft spot for Psychic Force. The anime is awful, make no mistake, and I can't say whether the games are good or not since I know them from playthroughs, tie-in comics, and doujinshi, not from anything sensible like actually playing them, but, well, a recipient in a fanfic exchange got me into it and it got a bit out of control... The story is crazy but there's some fun material in it --- and Ohnuki Kenichi and then Ousaka Hiroshi did the character designs.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I have Sailor Victory. It was a cute little thing.
hav

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely adored sola. It was the first anime I watched subtitled, and I thought it was the best thing ever. But now that I've watched a ton of anime my tastes have changed and I'm way too nervous to ever watch it again. I don't want to know how much it sucked.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Looking at the Spectral Forces releases the first two which do have the girl on the cover all date to the late 90s with the first one coming out in 97, and the second one coming out in 98. http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/573571-spectral-force/images/box-13179

The interesting thing is that Spectral Force 3 appears to have a different cast and was released in 06. So its either that this was an OVA for a popular game that was supposed to get a localization but never did or the third game was supposed to be released around 00 and just got cancelled and its cutscenes became an OVA. I would guess the former though as it makes more sense I think we would have heard about a Spectral Force game that only made it out due to cutscenes.

So they couldnt barter Fukuda down to Gear Fighter Dendoh? That one had some really cool fight scenes and looked pretty good since it was a lot more recent while Cyber Formula was an early 90s anime.

The one anime I would like to know more about is Virgin Fleet it was written by Yasuhiro Imagawa and created by Ouji Hiroi of Sakura Wars fame and the OVA ends with Japan and Russia about to go to war again and then thats it. The whole thing just screams that it was setup to be this big video game that just never materialized.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Mon May 06, 2013 5:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Most of Sentai Filmworks' catalogue is "Why did this come out?" titles.

You misspelled US Manga Corps
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I think I've watched the majority of the titles mentioned in the column, and the one I would say I really liked out of those is Sailor Victory. I found it quite funny. I'm not quite sure why it is rated so lowly in the encyclopedia (it is in the bottom 500). I did watch Graduation (fansubbed) before watching it, but I don't think that would really matter for whether it was enjoyable or not.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Never realized Sailor Victory was a game tie-in. It works well enough on its own. I like how the annoying childish girl is actually treated like an annoying person by the rest of the cast. It comes off as unfinished, though.

Oh, man, Sola. That show is almost a little clever and almost pretty good but doesn't quite put it all together and is a little bit of a mess.

Miami Guns is a pretty decent comedy most of the time, by the way. The episode where the rich girl gets her allowance cut off and she immediately regresses into a sub-human ape-woman is pretty damned funny.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
The thing about Spectral Souls is that none of the games actually have anime cutscenes of any real quality. It's mostly in-house incredibly low frame-rate stuff.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Miami Guns is a pretty decent comedy most of the time, by the way. The episode where the rich girl gets her allowance cut off and she immediately regresses into a sub-human ape-woman is pretty damned funny.

I was really digging Miami Guns until they serious'd up in the final episodes and the humor was no longer flowing. Wish they had just stuck to the original formula all the way through.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Two anime I enjoy always get shit flung at them wherever you go are the Urushihara OVAs Lemnear and Plastic Little. People just seem to hate these, and I understand why, but I'll never agree. Those man's designs are exactly what I want in anime so if you're not onboard with Urushihara's 25 year old sameface, they'll never push your buttons and understanding why anyone could like them will be lost on you.

People hate Plastic LIttle?? Shocked Huh, I had no idea, I actually liked it quite a bit myself. It had some pretty excellent animated sequences, and a very bright and adventurous spirit to it. Not a 5-star OVA, but one that was fun and I really enjoyed.

Anywho, of the titles Mike mentioned, I've only seen Monster Rancher and Sailor Victory. I watched Monster Rancher back when it was exciting to see any new anime airing on TV, even if it was just kid's shows. I watched it for a dozen or so episodes and thought it was alright, but eventually lost interest. I saw Sailor Victory a few years ago on an old VHS tape my older brother happened to have, and I was pleasantly surprised, as I found it to be a pretty enjoyable police ninja mecha action OVA. I don't remember much of it now, but I do remember smiling and having fun watching it.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I've also seen Hyper Doll, I almost forgot. In the article it mentions that it eventually got a manga tie-in, but I think it was the other way around (IIRC, the OVA kind of assumes you're a fan of the manga already, as it skims over the setup and drops you in the middle of things). I thought it was a cheesy and fun OVA, but not particularly memorable (the tropes it uses, I think, had already been done better in other series), but that said, it did have some well-animated action sequences.
khaos1019

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I remember liking Tattoon Master back in the day. A friend of mine had it on VHS. I haven't seen it in well over 12 years, so I have no idea if I'd like it now. I'm guessing probably not, though.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I actually bought Early Reigns during RightStuf's last Christmas sale. They were selling it for only 4 bucks.

Now that I've watched it, I can easily say....

I want my 4 bucks back. Confused

One that I would add to the pile is "Sin: The Motion Picture". Did anyone actually ask for this? Sin was never even that popular of a game to begin with.

Last edited by SpacemanHardy on Sun May 05, 2013 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
LOL I did that too SpacemanHardy....

Good point about Sin, still don't get why that existed, never seen it either.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Two anime I enjoy always get shit flung at them wherever you go are the Urushihara OVAs Lemnear and Plastic Little. People just seem to hate these, and I understand why, but I'll never agree. Those man's designs are exactly what I want in anime so if you're not onboard with Urushihara's 25 year old sameface, they'll never push your buttons and understanding why anyone could like them will be lost on you.

I remember liking Lemnear as well.

Lord Geo wrote:
Clockwork Fighters: Hiwou's War, though, I will certainly defend. I found it the story interesting, the characters handled fairly realistically, the clockwork "mechs" cool to see in action (especially since the show handled their operation semi-realistically), and I didn't find the character designs "jarringly ugly and strange-looking" one bit. Oh, yeah, and the music was also really catchy; that OP theme is definitely one of my favorites.

I'd really like to get back to watching my copies of this eventually, bought it during one of the Rightstuf holiday bundle sales looking for something to blind buy for the holiday to watch since it was something by BONES that sounded kind of cool that I hadn't seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8