• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Why Did This Come Out?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
I regrettably own that marriage DVD. I don't even know why I own it... I actually did sit down to watch it, though, and I remember going, "WTF was that? Why?" lol

Also, Twin Signal is good! Eden's Bowy is boring at some points and hard to sit through sometimes but it's not horrible. There are a few good episodes and two characters in particular are interesting. I have always loved the OP song, too, ever since VHS fansub days.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
These titles still look like masterpieces compared to Eiken, which probably takes the cake as the worst anime ever made. How in the hell THAT piece of garbage even existed, much less imported over here, is a huge question mark.
WWAanimefan

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
OK I will admit it. I kinda liked "Miami Guns." I am not sure why, but I did.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote
Spectral Force I only watched because I wanted to know more about Hillo, who I'd grown particularly impressed with as a character in Spectral Souls Resurrection PSP. She's awesome, and I know the OVA was horrendously bad with its out of place awkward CG animations. Suffice it to say, at least I had a better understanding of just who the demon lord's daughter was and why she's so reluctant to find happiness in her life. No, she's not an emo. Stop it people.

Wild Cardz wasn't that bad. It was silly and spazzy, but not terrible. I didn't waste my time watching that one.

Corrector Yui seems to be popular with some circles interestingly. And hey, Takashi Matsuyama has a great voice for a werewolf, right?

Psychic Wars, yeah, that one you can file under forgettable. I actually fell asleep watching it when it came on Sci-Fi Channel one night. About the only interesting character design in that whole snorefest was that big ogre demon guy.

Can anyone tell me about Mask of Zeguy though? And Eden's Bowy was bland how? Its trailer sure was intriguing.
CXHazuki

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote
I liked Sola. I bought the Bandai set not too long after it came out.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:30 am Reply with quote
I have even fewer OVAs in my collection than movies but I had a couple on VHS and I do rent them occasionally. But it's kind of weird that even though an actual series planned release was the article's spark, it quickly delved into historic OVA one offs as pretty much any series has fans which is why they come out. Which is, follow me here, why Media Blasters licensed Rio.

Should the title have been "I don't like this series, why was it licensed?" I liked hearing about OVAs I haven't seen and ones I have seen but forgotten but lumping in actual series alongside them is wrong.

But still, how'd you miss all those recent Sentai OVA releases? Double packs and single releases, short series that have little development and go nowhere. And all dubbed for some reason in a market where all this is a waste?
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
Put up another vote for Sola -- I thought it was an alright show, really.

Amon Saga, however, was just tedious. I didn't buy it believing it was something else -- or based on anything at all -- but that didn't exactly help matters either.

I've heard about some of the other titles mentioned in the article, either though ads in magazines I used to read in my burgeoning anime fandom years or through articles posted later, but I haven't actually watched any of them.
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
I rather enjoyed Sola, the japanese version with subtitles, and the ending song was beautiful. IMO, the only gripe I had with it was the weird mash-up of plot elements like those superpowers they had for pretty much no reason, and it WAS rated the best anime of 2007 in Japan.
animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2008-02-26/bandai-visual-usa-new-title-announcement-sola-voted-best-anime-of-2007-in-japan
It certainly doesn't deserve to be on the Why Did This Come Out list, because it came out because it was popular enough. Not the best, but enough.
Kastel

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:03 am Reply with quote
After finishing sola, I decided to recycle paper for a better future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:49 am Reply with quote
The idea of a company licensing something by accident is incredibly funny to me.

I'm a huge fan (probably one of the few) of the series Figure 17 but I've always been kind of baffled that Media Blasters put it out. It's an extremely slow and "deliberately paced" drama about a little girl overcoming her self-esteem issues made before anime studios realized they could load a premise like that up with moe and lolicon elements to sell to otaku, punctuated by alien battles that are far too violent to be watched by kids. It's really difficult to figure out who the series was actually made to appeal to and I've always assumed Media Blasters got it as part of some sort of deal.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:18 am Reply with quote
Sailor Victory is quite good, surprisingly actually. I imagine that the guys at RACS went 'WTF?' when I ordered it last year (probably the first sale in years) but it's a amusing little show. It is one of the few 'feminist' anime out there. Basically, the girls decide that they can pilot giant robots and fight crime better than the men can, so they set out to do it. One of their number is a spy in the police office, and the male chauvinistic pigs (both figuratively and...figuratively, I guess) have their best crime fighter serving tea and cleaning the place while the men do the 'real work'. Then she mops the floor, with them on the city streets. Yeah, and this is a spin off of a dating sim? What's next, spinning off a Magical Girl franchise from a hentai series? Anyway, it's a show I'd recommend to everyone

And sola holds a special place in my heart since it was the first anime I ever saw. Well, first anime not dubbed on Adult Swim. I really love that series, and bought the DVD as soon as it came out. It has a rather tragic ending that really was mind-blowing, given that I had really never watched any entertainment was sad endings before. Looking back now, it's only a above-average show, but it was my first and I'll never forget it.
victor viper

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Come on guys, don't you want to talk about fan favorites like Seraphim Call, and Tattoon Master, and Samurai: Hunt for the Sword?

I'll defend Seraphim Call. While it's by no means a masterpiece anime, it's interesting enough that the DVD makes its way off my shelf and into the player from time to time. The key defense points:

The studio is Sunrise, and the character designs are quite attractive. Obviously, the animation is limited, but since Seraphim Call is a slice of life show it's not really a big deal.

There was obviously some effort put forth in making the show. Each episode has a different closing song, themed around the character of that particular episode. In addition, I rather like the opening theme as well.

Several of the episodes are remarkably good. Now granted, some of them are utterly forgettable and bland. However, a few do stick in my memory, and since all the episodes are independent, one can simply skip over the bland, boring episodes. The episodes featuring Tanpopo, the Murasame sisters, Ayaka Rindo, and Saeno Hīragi all stand out in my memory.

On the other hand, I watched a couple of episodes of Rio-Rainbow Gate, which started all of this and I did find them dull and uninteresting. However, if MB ever releases the show, maybe I'll give it a shot both to direct a few bucks their way, and on the off chance that Rainbow Gate can be half as good as Seraphim Call. Smile
kgw

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:40 am Reply with quote
This article can be resumed in Spain with one phrase: "why did we just have one company releasing anime?". -Buccaneer's thing apart-
Yup, one company this choose to release almost all of this*: the silliest of silly anime, that nobody ever heard or care about it.
And no matter if you own Death Note and Monster, if you insist on selling Formula 1, Tokyo Warriors, Hiwo, Melty Lancer, Dual... you'll crash. Oh, boy, and they did it hard.

*it is not full list.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:10 am Reply with quote
I liked sola, and even bought it in the 'Anime Legends' edition (although calling it a legend is just gross mis-advertising!). Hey, I even have the one volume of the manga that got released.
Should watch it again some time.

For me, the thing I liked about Rio - Rainbow Gate was just how incredibly STUPID it all was. The sheer absurdity of each episode just amused me in a 'so bad it's good' sort of way.
I think I was definitely laughing at it rather than with it, and I'm amazed that it's getting a release, in theory at least.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:12 am Reply with quote
hav wrote:
But now that I've watched a ton of anime my tastes have changed and I'm way too nervous to ever watch it again. I don't want to know how much it sucked.

Nostalgia has a way of distorting a truth, so I can understand this.

Mike mentioned having forgotten series he had watched, and I can join him on this one. I've no idea if I've seen any of the series he's mentioned, and the only way I could know is if I re-watched them. If I get a feeling I've seen it before, and start remembering scenes, then I have.

A few years ago, I rewatched Cyberteam in Akihabara, and as I was watching it, I started remembering scenes which were about to happen.

To this day, I still have no idea when I watched it the first time.

As for the refreshed viewing: if I liked it the first time, it sure didn't hold up the second time.

The 90s really shows there was a different time in anime, when anything was getting created to serve a market that demanded more titles. With anime starting to take off, R1 would pretty much grab anything and bring it over, and to this day, I wonder if any of them actually watched what they were about to release.

Still, those titles did get released and some were sold. I suppose, in the long run, it was worth it.

But don't hold your breath to seeing them re-released ever again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8