• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Why Did This Come Out?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:38 am Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
A lot of Media Blasters licenses use to show up there back in the day and it would be interesting if someone had a list of what all they did air compiled some place (one for G4-TechTV would also be nice but it may actually exist over on wiki somewhere, for all I know).

Indeed one for TechTV's Anime Unleashed does exist:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime_Unleashed#List_of_anime_broadcast_by_Anime_Unleashed_.282002-2006.29
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:40 am Reply with quote
I recently reviewed Miami Guns and gave it an 8/10 lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfXabkDKYrk (I review mutiple shows at once so if you click this don't worry i don't talk about Miami Guns for 5mins)

I really enjoyed its sense of complete and totally sillyness. I liked the parody parts it had to offer also. The whole thing felt like a show from Cartoon Network with some slightly more adult humour. I don't know for 5 hours of entertainment it was good fun. I have even rewatched a couple of episodes Anime hyper

Being episodic was a tad annoying though but to be expected
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:54 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed "Amon Saga." It was by-the-numbers fantasy adventure, but I didn't mind.

I saw the first volume of "Machine Robo," and mainly remember the hilarious catchphrase the hero would say when facing villains: "You don't even deserve to know my name!" Licensed by accident??? Wow...

"Madonna" was one I liked a bit, rather unexpectedly. I kind of liked what it turned into in its second episode -- a rugby anime with an unexpectedly positive message.

Last edited by vanfanel on Mon May 06, 2013 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:02 am Reply with quote
I haven't really seen anything mentioned in the article, but I would like to see Clockwork Fighters: Hiwou's War. I saw some pictures of it and I think it looks unique and interesting. Also, it's a Bones anime.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:47 am Reply with quote
I never got very far with Graduation, but at least as it starts out, it is a teaching sim, not a dating sim. You play as a high school teacher trying to get this class of girls to not flunk out. There are a lot of numbers giving the status of the girls as they respond to various assignments. Given that this is a Japanese game, I wouldn't be too surprised if pretended romance isn't one of the available teaching tactics.

Now I have to go get Marriage and Sailor Victory.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:07 am Reply with quote
Mike, thank you for mentioning Matinee (the first movie I saw on a date with my now-wife) and its movie-within-a-movie Mant. "Half man! Half ant! All terror!"
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:23 am Reply with quote
I'm still confused as to why Urban Vision released two volumes (half the series) of Strange Dawn. It's a decent show, but not an easy sell by any means. It looks kiddy, but isn't always kid friendly, and it looks too kiddy for an older audience to check it out. Also, they only released half the damn series, wtf? Although now days, being able to put "from the director of Princess Tutu" should be able to help a lot.

Garzey's Wing is terrible in every way, yet it somehow got two DVD releases. When Discotek got Mad Bull 34, I love how they got it on the basis that it was terrible and people wanted it (me included). But how did Garzey's Wing warrant two releases on DVD? Eiken is the final in my unholy trifecta, but I understood that it's always sold well, if as a gag title only. That's sure why I own it, as a gag title. So from a business standpoint, that makes sense to me.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
want you people to fess up. I want you to look over every weird, misplaced title on this list, and if it's something you really liked, you have to admit it in the forum thread.

I'll gladly fess up- I LOVED Twin Signal. It was a cute lil' action comedy starring 2 bishonen types (that mattered when I was in high school), and it was one of the only mini OAV series I'd seen at the time to tell a complete story in its 3 episode run. I also own Kirameki Project- which is fun in its strange take on mecha- and Sailor Victory, which was decent and I'm disturbed to learn was a tie-in with Graduation/marriage. Confused

This article makes me remember... years ago, I got a random mailer from Media Blasters. I opened it, and it was a lil' catalog for their big clearance sale, select titles at $4 ad $8 apiece. There was an order form to fill in which ones you'd want, and you'd send it back with a check. I bought stocking stuffers- one of those 'the sword' shows you mentioned (don't remember if it was Fight or Hunt), Tokyo Project (a decent but forgettable crime OAV), and Twin Signal (which I already owned, but as a gift it seemed the obvious bargain.)

It was the one and only time I got to do a studio clearance sale entirely via snail mail.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Alright, now that I've got that out of my system, I want you people to fess up. I want you to look over every weird, misplaced title on this list, and if it's something you really liked, you have to admit it in the forum thread.

Of the anime mentioned, I've seen and enjoyed [even if just a little bit]:

-Detatoko Princess
-Kirameki Project
-Early Reins
-Seraphim Call
-Sailor Victory
-Space Travelers
-Amon Saga
-Mask of Zeguy
-Wild Cardz
-Miami Guns

Yep.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed Hyper Doll. I even bought it twice, once on VHS and once on DVD. It does suffer from being an advertisement for the manga. It starts in mid story and expects you to know who these people are.

The VHS version of Hyper Doll has the live action episodes after the animation on each tape. These are not on the DVD unless they are hidden. Anyone else remember when there were hidden bits of extra features on anime DVDs? I think Anime Insider reported them as "Eastern Eggs".

The manga of Hyper Doll is notable for ending with the two heroes quitting the hero business and leaving. I gather the magazine it was published in died.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:05 am Reply with quote
Prepare to meet somebody who absolutely adores "Mask of Zeguy"! Found it as a bargain title in Taos, NM when I was about 12 or 13, so I lapped it up. To this day, I still adore it. Personally, I liken it to a low-rent Ghibli film, and that's a feat relatively hard to accomplish. While it's not perfect, per se, it's certainly better than a lot of the terrible, horrendous junk CPM churned out ("Harmageddon", anybody?), and it's much more in line with their hidden gems ("Grappler Baki", "Genocyber", and "The Humanoid", an anime so horrible that it's amazing.)
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Alright, now that I've got that out of my system, I want you people to fess up. I want you to look over every weird, misplaced title on this list, and if it's something you really liked, you have to admit it in the forum thread.

Sure. no problem.
I have seen and liked.
Miami Guns. I always like cops who take things way too far. "What the hell do you think the Police do?" "Shoot guns, car chases and blowing up buildings!"
Detatako Princess. It was fun watching a really selfish out of control princess for a change.
Hyper Doll. I liked the idea of irresponsible lazy heroes who would rather go shopping than save the world. I also liked the fact that each of the villains had one thing they were anal about.

There was also a passing insult to Eden's Bowy. I really enjoyed that show. Especially it's strong sense of inappropriate humor.

I also happily own a couple of other weird titles that I am amazed got licensed.
Stuff like

Hades Project Zeorymer
Landlock
Curiously, the title has nothing to do with the show.
Project ARMS

I actually took the time to hunt down every volume of Project Arms. it cost me a pretty penny.
CardsOfTheHeart

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote
I am proud to say that I have never seen a single terrible title mentioned either in the article or in this thread!

And yet I've seen Jungle de Ikou!... [/facepalm]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
Zeorymer's a pretty awesome mecha title, even if you're probably suppose to just go read the manga afterward because those four episodes are entirely unfulfilled. Now that it's out on BD, the high budget can be fully enjoyed, it's a damn pretty work even if the tones are mostly drab greys.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
Garzey's Wing just proved that when executives added giant robots to Dunbine, they saved the series. Having Aura Battlers show up in Garzey might have at least made the action cooler.

Ikou? That's a fun little parody, but I always thought it was more a pilot for a TV show...that never happened.

Machine Robo is another oddball, but I think no one would care if not for the Gobots connection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8