• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Why Did This Come Out?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Localization, pricing, and all of that other un-related to the topic at hand stuff aside...Rune was a subpar addition to the Galaxy Angel series. That is all I was trying to say.

EDIT: Eh I'll take the bait...if we are going to piss about the DVD release I will say one thing: Rune had some of the best extras I have ever witnessed. The Rune Angel Sentiment vignettes are digital gems.
Ceredonia

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I've actually seen almost all those random titles, and we still have them for rent at work. I don't know what that says about me, haha. I was in that phase of "I need to watch ALL THE ANIME" back in the day...
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
I think for me, two of the most bizarre licenses had to be ADV's Sonic Soldier Borgman OVAs

At least that can be understood by Sonic the Hedgehog being a very marketable brand, regardless of the quality of the content. Hell, ADV didn't even give much of an effort to create the English dub (dubbed at Monster Island in Austin, TX), which has some of the most bizarre voice acting I've ever heard. I guess they wanted to capitalize on the brand name so badly, they spent as little money as possible (either that, or Industrial Smoke & Mirrors was unavailable). The OVAs (combined and released here as "Sonic The Movie") were very forgettable, but they were an entertaining way to kill an hour. There's some Sonic fans who have nostalgia for them too, so I guess they're at least entertaining to kids. Imagine if they had turned into a full TV series as planned...

Another strange 90s license (this time from Manga Entertainment) is Angel Cop. I found the show to be just strange, and the message was clearly anti-American. It's also got a clusterfuck of F-bombs (pun intended), easily in the hundreds (with such beauties as "F*CK. AND. PISS"), and the voice acting was absolutely atrocious. I guess at least that falls into the "So bad, it's good" category. In case you're brave enough to take a peak, here's a collection of clips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Mon May 06, 2013 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Two anime I enjoy always get shit flung at them wherever you go are the Urushihara OVAs Lemnear and Plastic Little. People just seem to hate these, and I understand why, but I'll never agree. Those man's designs are exactly what I want in anime so if you're not onboard with Urushihara's 25 year old sameface, they'll never push your buttons and understanding why anyone could like them will be lost on you.

Satoshi Urushihara is a freaking god amongst men! The way he draws his Glossy Goddesses™ is more than enough for anyone to see why. Yes, I own copies of both the OVAs myself and enjoy them for their simple story and even more gorgeous artwork.

Speaking of which, I hope somebody, anybody licenses Urushihara's manga and other artbooks. It's a travesty that they are not!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I remember a few of those Media Blasters titles from trailers on various Kenshin DVDs. At the time, all I could think was, "Um, ok." And that was when I was still new to anime and was willing to watch about anything.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Bamble wrote:
I think for me, two of the most bizarre licenses had to be ADV's Sonic Soldier Borgman OVAs

At least that can be understood by Sonic the Hedgehog being a very marketable brand, regardless of the quality of the content. Hell, ADV didn't even give much of an effort to create the English dub (dubbed at Monster Island in Austin, TX), which has some of the most bizarre voice acting I've ever heard. I guess they wanted to capitalize on the brand name so badly, they spent as little money as possible (either that, or Industrial Smoke & Mirrors was unavailable). The OVAs (combined and released here as "Sonic The Movie") were very forgettable, but they were an entertaining way to kill an hour. There's some Sonic fans who have nostalgia for them too, so I guess they're at least entertaining to kids. Imagine if they had turned into a full TV series as planned...

Sonic Soldier Borgman has nothing to do with the hedgehog. Wink
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Bamble wrote:

Sonic Soldier Borgman has nothing to do with the hedgehog. Wink

You beat me to it! But yeah, ADV released Borgman and Sonic the Hedgehog. Other than that, the two releases aren't related.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I remember Encore Action would air stuff like this on Fridays without any real rhyme or reason. So one week you'd get Akira, one week you'd get Gunsmith Cats, and then one week you'd get something absolutely wretched like the Shadow Skill OVA or some 45 minute OVA about spacefaring that went nowhere. Still, I actually remember it being fun because it was a sort of mystery box. Did you get something awesome, or did you get the Grappler Baki OVA that doesn't even mention Yujiro? (Actually, that was fairly fun to watch, albeit mindless and plotless. It just doesn't hold up at all now that the TV series is out).

And yeah, they did air Eiken one week. No context, just an OVA to promote a manga that isn't available here...probably because it would make friggin Tarot look subdued and family friendly.

yeah, I remember when that channel used to show anime, that's where I caught Eiken one night and many LOLs were had (c'mon, while terrible Eiken is still damn funny)

anyway man oh man is this some OBSCURE anime talked about in this article, the only ones I've even heard of are Early Reins and Miami Guns, not that I've actually seen them mind you

and Mike, I LOVE how you've thrown in a reference to the (very, very underrated) movie Matinee, proving once again you are 100% awesome
Greggo

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Hyper Doll was one of my first anime purchases back when I was in college. I tried watching it again recently and surprisingly enough, even with nostalgia glasses on, I was still able to enjoy it as something that didn't take itself seriously. The dub wasn't bad, either.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
Reminds us of some of the titles listed here. Laughing

Basroil

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
Another fan of Hyper Doll here. I was really disappointed that there wasn't more made of that show.

Sola was very enjoyable. Can't see why this show was even mentioned.

Have seen and was moderately entertained by Miami Guns.

When I read the Sailor Victory title I remembered that I had a copy I picked up out of the bargain bin some years ago. I've yet to watch it, I'll have to remedy that soon after reading this article.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:54 am Reply with quote
I often shake my head and facepalm myself in wondering why ADV licensed these titles...

Ninja Resurrection and Tekken:The Motion Picture-These two were the most god-awful titles that ADV picked up in the late 90's that left a bad taste.

Kimera-Originally a shounen-ai/yaoi title, when ADV produced the dub for it, they used a woman to voice the title character. Otherwise it was another poor choice that ADV made as the story itself wasn't that great in regards to a one-shot, single episode anime.

Ellcia-ADV licensed this in the mid-90's and this OVA series was rather bland in its' story and the artwork was really poor, all in all it was a dull anime.

I feel these titles should've been mentioned in the article.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I'll add my voice to the chorus in support of sola which I thought was a good show. Unfortunately, Bandai's rushed, slipshod release did not do it justice. Actually, I remember it being fairly popular (along with True Tears, another BVUSA title that ended up as an Anime Legends release from Bandai) at the time it was coming out.

I've seen a number of the titles in the article. One I thought was good was Legend of Himiko which was much better than I expected it to be.

As far as totally useless releases not mentioned, I am surprised that Debutante Detective Corps was not mentioned. This OVA was made for the express purpose of showcasing a singing group whose members did the voice acting, and was released along with a music video by the group. With a runtime of less than 30 minutes, by the time they finish giving each girl a big intro there's little time for plot. In any case, the plot was just a set-up to get the girls together as the titular entity so it plays like episode 1 of a series that was never made (and, AFAIK was never going to be made). Not only did ADV license this, not only did they dub it, not only did they release it on DVD, but they did so without ever bothering to get the music video that was its whole raison d'etre. In fact, there are no extras whatsoever on the DVD. I got my copy (still shrink-wrapped) at a swap meet and although I don't recall what the heck I traded for it I think I want it back. This is for die-hard Akiyuki Shimbo completists only.

And speaking of worthless releases, there's Panzer Dragoon, which at least never got to DVD, though ADV did do a dub for it. I understand this was made to publicize the game (which I have heard was quite good) which reminds me of the "Advertising Sketch" from Monty Python's Flying Circus, the one where the adman was giving away a free dead dog with every can of Conquistador Coffee. Oh man, does this anime suck on toast.
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
This article reminded me of something I experienced a few months ago. My husband and I finished watching an anime DVD (from CPM, I believe) and went on to watch the previews. I hit "play all" and expected the normal amount of previews (like 5~6). But the previews went on beyond that. Ten previews, 15 previews, they just kept coming. And they all looked like awful, generic crap. Somewhere between Battle Skipper and Sailor Victory I burst out, "Who the hell wanted all this shit?! No wonder these companies went out of business!"

I have thankfully not seen most of the titles mentioned in the article. I remember watching Hyper Doll back in the day, and I enjoyed it. However, the context of my enjoyment is as follows: I was 14 years old, had probably seen less than 10 anime total, and was still in the hyper excited "all anime is AWESOME!" stage of early fandom. So I can't guarantee I'd still feel the same in my older, more jaded stage of fandom Razz I remember the live action bits at the end better than the actual show itself.
partysmores

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
>Ctrl-F "Eiken"
>0 matches

You're missing a big part of Media Blasters "seriously WHAT ARE YOU DOING" history there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8