• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NEETs in Japan Reach 630,000, Women Account for Almost 40%

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
Is this that bad? British unemployment is way higher, 2 million, (source) for a smaller population. I'm not saying either way, since I'm just comparing with another figure I know, not looking at global trends.

Seems there are 62.46 million unemployed in Japan, though their unemployment rate is only 4.1%.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Seems there are 62.46 million unemployed in Japan, though their unemployment rate is only 4.1%.

Typo or got the facts wrong?; (from the article in the link)
Quote:
The number of employed persons in March 2013 was 62.46 million, an increase of 310 thousand or 0.5 percent from the previous year.
The number of unemployed persons in March 2013 was 2.8 million, a decrease of 270 thousand or 8.8 percent from the previous year.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

NEETs are basically shut-ins that don't enter the workforce or do anything beneficial for society. I have to say 630,000 is a pretty small number, though.

Sasukeuzi wrote:

they pretty much bring down the nation's economy and live a life in their houses 24/7. it turns out to be a huge problem since it'll be difficult to find a job or to even live when financial support from your parents and such are cut off.
u should watch Welcome to the NHK, Heaven's Memo Pad, or Eden of the East to get a general idea.
and for the sake of bad puns ill just throw this in there:
Sounds NEET...because u kno neat and NEET and... ill stop

Ah, now I get it. Yeah and I did some more research on NEET and I understand it better now after reading about it on Wikipedia. Yeah I can see the problem, that is not good for Japan. Also I reread the article and notice this:

ANN wrote:
most television programs that attempt to spread awareness and assist NEETs target male audiences without close-ups on the problems that women face as well.

So the TV programs are targeting Herbivore men, parasite single, and Hikkimoris from what that article imply.

firedragon54738 wrote:
So there 40% of girls neets who needs a sugar daddy

or can go to South Korea since I heard more Japanese women are wanting to marry Korean men thanks to Winter Sonata, K-pop boybands, and the herbivore men phenomenon in Japan. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

... That said, I don't I understand it... unless it's a lot like my generation who live off their parents? Cause the economy sucks, and we can?

Context is key, NEET is seen as very derogatory in the conservative culture of Japan.
As far as most political leaders in Japan are concerned, NEETs are THE nail that needs to be Hammered down upon as they "weaken the Japanese heritage".
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
This raises a few questions.

If you are actively seeking work but can't find any, are you a NEET?

Does the low birth rate mean that there are jobs going begging or does the poor economy mean that jobs are hard to find?

How do they know how many NEETs there are? It would seem that this is a hard group to count.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I think those in the hunt for a job don't count, but they may on paper? That sounds more like just being currently unemployed.
kunino-sagiri

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
This raises a few questions.

Yes. If you are in neither employment, education or training you are a NEET, whether you are trying your hardest to get a job or are lazily leeching off your parents.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
And the total population?
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
stay at home mom's or unemployed single women are not NEETs.

you need to have some sort of hobby-fetish I guess.
Owning a nintendo Wii doesn't count.
kunino-sagiri

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
stay at home mom's or unemployed single women are not NEETs.

The former aren't, but the latter certainly are.
Despite the negative public image the term undoubtedly does have, the official definition is simply some not in employment, education or training.
In some contexts it is narrowed down to include only those who simply don't want to work, but never is any manner of hobby used as a defining characteristic in any official uses.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Why are unemployed single woman not considered NEETs, PotatoChobit? If 40% of NEETs are female, I would think they're counting unemployed single woman.

When I read the Welcome to the NHK novel, I was under the impression that NEETs referred to those who were underemployed as well as unemployed, but I assume that figuring out what "underemployed" means in the context of labeling a population would make it too difficult to study.
victor viper

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
127.8 million in 2011, so yeah, it's a relatively small number by comparison. However, they've also got another nearly 30 million (23.1%) over age 65 and that number keeps going up thanks to Japan's declining birth rate. Any additional amount, even if it's just a small percent of the population, is going to weigh down on them.

Also, about 60% of the population is aged 15-65, which should represent the vast majority of people engaged in productive work. You figure there's a potential workforce of about 70 million people, and 630,000 NEETS basically are taking almost 1 percent of the workforce out of play (to say nothing about what percentage of the population that represents should be in the prime of their earning years!). Considering that Japan is a welfare state (which is growing older by the year), shifting 1% of the potential working population permanently out of the workforce is a big deal. The ratio of dependents to workers is already strained, and you don't want that denominator getting any lower than it already is.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare excludes people who are looking for jobs from NEETs. So, if a person is seeking a job, he/she is not a NEET in cases of Japanese governmental researches.

Alan45 wrote:
How do they know how many NEETs there are?

Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications chooses approximately 100000 people via random sampling and asks them about their employment statuses. The Ministry conjectures how many people are employed in Japan on the basis of it.

Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I searched and it looks like there aren't NEET statistics for the US, unless the US just likes to look at unemployeement specifically. I would classify myself as a NEET but can't find a good job to save my life. Did my four years in collage too.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
Also, about 60% of the population is aged 15-65, which should represent the vast majority of people engaged in productive work. You figure there's a potential workforce of about 70 million people, and 630,000 NEETS basically are taking almost 1 percent of the workforce out of play (to say nothing about what percentage of the population that represents should be in the prime of their earning years!). Considering that Japan is a welfare state (which is growing older by the year), shifting 1% of the potential working population permanently out of the workforce is a big deal. The ratio of dependents to workers is already strained, and you don't want that denominator getting any lower than it already is.

The whole notion that people over 65 shouldn't work is the fundamental problem. That notion emerged nearly a century ago when life expectancy was less than 60 years, in Japan life expectancy today is 82 years.

While the vast majority of the jobs today are cognitive jobs where the worker doesn't need to be young and strong in order to perform the job so people between the ages of 65 and 80 should also work.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5